Sponsored

Country JLU

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Had mine done today only to get it home and find they did the 506ae alum box. I even gave them the correct tech bulletin. Guess back I go. I will say this box drives better without the right had pull the factory box had on my 20 Rubicon.
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Had mine done today only to get it home and find they did the 506ae alum box. I even gave them the correct tech bulletin. Guess back I go. I will say this box drives better without the right had pull the factory box had on my 20 Rubicon.
You should reach out to JeepCares on this. They might be able to expedite a box to your incompetent dealer.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Very interesting, so maybe my bad steering on my 2018 JL wasn’t a Jeep Thing ....... or was it? I’m really confused now and probably won’t sleep tonight.
I was told that too; first complaint--first day.
So T S B in hand, made an appointment and went to the dealer we bought from. Showed them the T S B and left it. They kept the Jeep all day, and handed it back saying it was fine. We had some words....
We've gone to another dealer; they inspected and ordered parts.

First dealer took the Jeep out on a 6 minute test drive. Slow speed. parking lot. smooth roads. 30-50 kmh. (touched 70 for a second or two.) Said it was the same as one in stock.

Point is--if they're going to drive it they need to take a real drive, at faster speed.

Our car has the symptoms. We had the TSB. The way I read it the Service Department should have ordered the parts.

JeepCares and FCA Jeep Canada Customer Care have been very helpful. The second dealer has scheduled a service appointment to install the new steering gear.

Greenegg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Good morning everyone, sorry if this has been asked already, does anyone know how much this fix would cost out of pocket? I’m around 50,000 miles and getting resistance from a couple dealers. Thanks all.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Good morning everyone, sorry if this has been asked already, does anyone know how much this fix would cost out of pocket? I’m around 50,000 miles and getting resistance from a couple dealers. Thanks all.
I think someone had an invoice for ~$1200?

Sponsored

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I asked that same question of JeepCares and my dealership when it looked like I may have to pay for it myself and neither could give me an answer.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The box itself lists for about $650, the labor hours are supposed to be 1.9. If their labor rate is 250+ they better be doing Mercedes-Benz quality work.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
And did you verify that it is the correct (black) box? Visual inspections seem to unfortunately be needed since 3 members are reporting the ordering or installation (or both) of the old aluminum AE box.
Just looked this morning and it is indeed the black box. There was some grime on the bolts, so for a second I thought they might have reused them, but I checked them with a magnet and they are good to go. They didn't make too much of a mess with the fluid, either. Just a little on the diff cover and that's it.

York Chrysler Jeep in Plainfield, Indiana (formerly Westgate) once again does it right, on time, and the first time. Love those guys! They also threw on my Rock Krawler spring pads and straighened out the bow on the driver side spring, too. (Mopar lift).

This Jeep is inching ever closer to perfection!

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
If anyone is in the Greater NYC/LI area, go to Bayside Jeep Dodge Chrysler on Northern Blvd.

They ordered my box 9/3/2020 so the next one can be ordered 9/17 ..

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Was just at Faricy Boys Jeep in Colorado Springs. Svc advisor knew about the TSB, but a tech still had to test drive in order to verify symptoms.
I’ve got 30,000 miles on mine and never thought it was a huge issue until this last winter. Just kinda waited and hoped for a real fix from Jeep versus the software upgrades, etc.

Knew the aluminum box had issues with heat/cold hence all the test drives we did felt normal but the longer drives were sketchy. Cold really impacts the boxes causing steering to sometimes stick on mine.

Advisor said tech agreed with me and they are ordering parts. My reported symptom was wandering. Should be here in a month.

So, even if you think your Jeep has issues, a tech still needs to drive and verify.
Good luck out there.

Sponsored

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Was just at Faricy Boys Jeep in Colorado Springs. Svc advisor knew about the TSB, but a tech still had to test drive in order to verify symptoms.
I’ve got 30,000 miles on mine and never thought it was a huge issue until this last winter. Just kinda waited and hoped for a real fix from Jeep versus the software upgrades, etc.

Knew the aluminum box had issues with heat/cold hence all the test drives we did felt normal but the longer drives were sketchy. Cold really impacts the boxes causing steering to sometimes stick on mine.

Advisor said tech agreed with me and they are ordering parts. My reported symptom was wandering. Should be here in a month.

So, even if you think your Jeep has issues, a tech still needs to drive and verify.
Good luck out there.
That’s incorrect. The TSB states otherwise.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Good luck out there.
YMMV depending on dealer, many are just ordering the parts when a customer complains about steering performance, without having to take the Jeep on a test drive (like the TSB clearly states). Unfortunately many dealers are going above and beyond making this TSB a real PITA for those that are requesting this TSB.
Luckily my request was handled without too much pushback, although they did take the Jeep for a run.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Agree with the above. The TSB is at dealers discretion to fix a customer reported problem. It isn’t a recall where all vehicles will be fixed regardless.

So, if one dealers refuses to fix then go to another. The one I went to had to verify I assume in order to document the concern. I will say the test drive wasn’t very long. Seemed like they just went through the motions.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
YMMV depending on dealer, many are just ordering the parts when a customer complains about steering performance, without having to take the Jeep on a test drive (like the TSB clearly states). Unfortunately many dealers are going above and beyond making this TSB a real PITA for those that are requesting this TSB.
Luckily my request was handled without too much pushback, although they did take the Jeep for a run.
They never test drove mine. Just blamed the “aftermarket” Mopar lift.

And then put in another fckn aluminum box. In case you can’t tell, I’m still pissed.
Sponsored