Sponsored

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Visited the dealership today, they confirmed my JL is eligible for the TSB and based on my prior steering box replacement and current wandering issues they ordered the parts. They also mentioned only 1 TSB order allowed per dealer every two weeks, but luckily I am the first one in line so they will call me when the parts are in.
Sponsored

Jlmedic

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Called this morning, (long island ny) Dealer gave me a bit of an issue (they weren't familiar with the TSB or the wordage). Told me they would need to test it in hot weather, but I think/hope I got them to relent and check the diagnostics on the computer instead as it's indicated. They have my Jeep now till EOD. So here's hoping I get put on the list for the part and not given the run around.

@JeepCares I sent you a DM with the requested info.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
What dealer? Are you stock or modded? Dealers on long Island won't even "inspect" my Jeep because it's modded and not by them. They say I need to revert it to factory condition before they'll even check to see if it qualifies. They refuse to even look up the tsb when i try to explain the multiple ways they are going against what it says.
Have you ramped it up getting @JeepCares involved, seems to have helped in quite a few of these PITA dealer situations.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Have you ramped it up getting @JeepCares involved, seems to have helped in quite a few of these PITA dealer situations.
No, I haven't bothered with them. I know they are helping many, but they seem to have more success when the dealer in question is on the fence about preforming the work. The dealers that are hell bent on not doing it, like my locals, don't seem to give a shit what Jeep cares says and are dragging it out.

I'm in communication with the jeep tech that started one of these threads. I might end up taking a road trip to get this done, without the run around.

BeerMeBruh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've read a few that have had luck w/ Larry Miller
The LHM in Surprise was actually who I went with since I bought the Jeep there but I'm thinking of trying their Avondale or Peoria location next since those are much closer.

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in communication with the jeep tech that started one of these threads. I might end up taking a road trip to get this done, without the run around.
He started a thread on FB Jeep page asking everyone to list dealer name where they had success and I don’t remember seeing a single NY listing yet :surprised:

edit: I see Lucas Dodge on Route 38 NJ listed. Mike - not sure if close enough from Long Island or not but may be worth a call.

Last edited:

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Ok guys, hold on to ya butts for this one. I swear everything I'm saying is true. And @JeepCares has been involved the whole time.

So my jeep is currently in the shop with my request to have the steering box replaced per this TSB. Two days after dropping it off, the service department tells me there's nothing they can do because my jeep has an aftermarket lift. I asked them to confirm that's their position and they do, which is when I tell them it's not an aftermarket lift it's a Mopar lift. That revelation appears to dumbfound them for a moment, and I get a call back about 30 minutes later telling me to provide them with a receipt proving it's a Mopar lift. I asked them if they are telling me they legitimately cannot tell their own lift kit just by looking at it. And fitting with everything else wrong with the jeep, I tell them that I did have to replace the springs because I bought the lift kit so early it was one of the ones with the defective springs that would bend out and contact the shock. Nevertheless, I don't have a receipt because I purchased the lift over a year and a half ago.

So now @JeepCares has escalated this two or three times, and today they tell me that they are waiting on the dealership to inform them if my "aftermarket" parts are physically preventing the steering box from being replaced. The only modifications I've made to the underside components are the Mopar lift, a Teraflex steering stabilizer, and a Teraflex track bar.

At this point it’s difficult to tell if this is just the usual poor customer service, or if it’s now become a parody of their customer service. I'll keep this thread updated.

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Ok guys, hold on to ya butts for this one. I swear everything I'm saying is true. And @JeepCares has been involved the whole time.

So my jeep is currently in the shop with my request to have the steering box replaced per this TSB. Two days after dropping it off, the service department tells me there's nothing they can do because my jeep has an aftermarket lift. I asked them to confirm that that's their position and they do, which is when I tell them it's not an aftermarket lift it's a Mopar lift. That revelation appears to dumbfound them for a moment, and I get a call back about 30 minutes later telling me to provide them with a receipt proving it's a Mopar lift. I asked them if they are telling me they legitimately cannot tell their own lift kit just by looking at it. And fitting with everything else wrong with the jeep, I tell them that I did have to replace the springs because I bought the lift kit so early it was one of the ones with the defective springs that would bend out and contact the shock. Nevertheless, I don't have a receipt because I purchased the lift over a year and a half ago.

So now @JeepCares has escalated this two or three times, and today they tell me that they are waiting on the dealership to inform them if my "aftermarket" parts are physically preventing the steering box from being replaced. The only modifications I've made to the underside components are the Mopar lift, a Teraflex steering stabilizer, and a Teraflex track bar.

I'll keep this thread updated.
OMG! At least you're an attorney :)

jcurtis0520

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Unlimited
I took my Jeep in August 14th to get the TSB done. I gave them the TSB number and they wrote it down in my RO so the technician could see it. They drove it, confirmed the dead spot, and said they would order a new steering box. A week and a half later I took my jeep back in to get the steering box replaced, and got it back only to find they had put another aluminum steering gearbox back in. It still has a dead spot in the steering once the steering box gets hot so I brought it back in and again told them about the TSB and handed the service advisor a copy of the TSB. He doesn't think they will replace it again with the new box. I'm beyond frustrated with this dealership.

Sponsored

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
OMG! At least you're an attorney :)
Seriously. Why do I feel like I’m gonna have to rally everyone on this thread for a class action lawsuit? Especially since this problem “isn’t bad enough to warrant a recall”, but is so bad they are restricting dealerships to one part per week because it’s such a prevalent problem.

Last edited:

znakos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
With the new gearbox, wheels straight and the engine off, how much can you turn the wheel let and right before feeling resistance?
About .5-1 inch either direction with the new steering box.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Is their a cutoff date on 2020 Jeeps where they stated to install the improved steering gear durning production?
posted earlier somewhere no 2020s. 2021s only

jeep-v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0T
Just picked up my car and sure enough no more pull to the right. I no longer need to apply slight constant pressure to keep it straight. This is good upgrade/update. I verified - the new part was installed. Left car at 8:00AM - received "the car is ready" call & text at 2:26PM.

My old steering box was easy to turn to the right, but it would slightly resist to turn to the left. Return to center was also more aggressive from left turn. If I let go of the wheel when driving straight - it would slightly turn to the right a few degrees off the center and make the pull to the right even more prominent.

After replacement the steering feels neutral, without any left or right bias. The steering wheel is centered when driving straight. No alignment was performed after TSB, but it was done a few months ago and it was done to perfection by folks @ Maseratti - not kidding, they spent 5 hours (kudos, they never charged for the extra time), but could not fix the "residual" slight pull to the right. I know why they struggled with it now.
Sponsored

Last edited: