Sponsored

Foster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Called Jeep of Costa Mesa and he said he ordered the parts, BUT, a test drive is required. I told him that the tsb doesn't state that and he said that the forum members are wrong and it says that a diagnosis (meaning test drive) is required. Apparently he is on here since he sent me a copy of the tsb with a link to the "jlforums" website to my email.

He said parts won't be in until late September and they won't be able to work on it until maybe November...
I'm afraid they're going to deny me since my steering issues become bad mostly when it's hot. So, what if I take it in during November when it's 60-75 out and they say the steering is fine? Annoying. Was driving yesterday and flicked the wheel back and forth and the Jeep didn't even move, that's how loose it is when it's hot out.

I contacted Jeep cares, hopefully they help. Could someone show me the part where it says a test drive is required?? He did say they have already done the tsb for 4 JL's.
Sponsored

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Dropped of my wrangler this morning for an 8:30 appointment. Got a call at 3pm stating they don’t have power steering fluid to do the repair and will have to order some. Will take 2-3 days for the fluid. Had to take a day vacation for this. Will not schedule until parts received. Not sure if the dealership is feeding me a big pile of crap.
Not a happy camper.
my fluid was ordered along with 4 other parts.

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2020 JLUW
Called Jeep of Costa Mesa and he said he ordered the parts, BUT, a test drive is required. I told him that the tsb doesn't state that and he said that the forum members are wrong and it says that a diagnosis (meaning test drive) is required. Apparently he is on here since he sent me a copy of the tsb with a link to the "jlforums" website to my email.

He said parts won't be in until late September and they won't be able to work on it until maybe November...
I'm afraid they're going to deny me since my steering issues become bad mostly when it's hot. So, what if I take it in during November when it's 60-75 out and they say the steering is fine? Annoying. Was driving yesterday and flicked the wheel back and forth and the Jeep didn't even move, that's how loose it is when it's hot out.

I contacted Jeep cares, hopefully they help. Could someone show me the part where it says a test drive is required?? He did say they have already done the tsb for 4 JL's.
It doesn’t say that. See the last sentence of page 1.

F414A7FE-A755-467D-8D7F-2C0C993D9E7B.jpeg

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Anyone have luck with getting this TSB completed at Mac Haik Jeep in Georgetown, TX?

Foster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
It doesn’t say that. See the last sentence of page 1.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") F414A7FE-A755-467D-8D7F-2C0C993D9E7B
He claims the first step of the diagnostic sections says to test drive. I'm guessing he is talking about the first two sentences of the "diagnosis" section since it claims they have to "verify systems function as designed."

Thing is though, it doesnt say test drive. And Jeepcares even said too that they shouldn't test drive.

Reactions: RTJ

Sponsored

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Regarding parts to order, mine were ordered Saturday, they arrived today. Appointment is not til late next week though.

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2020 JLUW
Regarding parts to order, mine were ordered Saturday, they arrived today. Appointment is not til late next week though.
Man, I took mine on the 17th, they agreed to do it, parts still not in as of this morning.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Man, I took mine on the 17th, they agreed to do it, parts still not in as of this morning.
I was surprised. I had her hang up and check that all needed parts were on hand and just email me when she was done. So, not sure. Kind of nervous having the service done two days before driving across country though.

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
Mine is at dealer right now . Service manage said the box is easier to get than the bolts right now

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
If you are in the tri-state Cincinnati area, I know two dealers will do this, generally no question asked about mods, unless your mods are crazy (like 42" tires or 8" long arm coilovers lift).

Jeff Wyler CDJR in Lawrenceburg

Jake Sweeney CDJR in Glendale

Both of them have done several sets of this TSB, so they are pretty familiar with how it works, just bring your Jeep to them and they will order parts.

Sponsored

aphillips76

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door
Build Thread
Link
Dropped the 2018 off yesterday at the dealership. They mentioned they had to test it and that the tech may require an alignment because of larger tires (even though I have no lift). I said I didn’t think that was necessary so call me if that’s the case. Got the call this afternoon to come get it as they are done. They replaced the steering box, changed the bolts and did the software update. It tracks significantly better!

Count me happy!

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
While I do agree that there are MANY components made out of aluminum these days on cars I do find it odd that no other manufacturer has an aluminum Steering gear boxes.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Not to mention they are made in CHINA. Take any product you like, make it in China, it will fall apart the first day or be a piece of junk. I'm sorry, but calling a spade a spade.

Reactions: RTJ

BeerMeBruh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just got mine back from the dealer, brought it in saying it felt loose and that it pulled to the right. They didn't do the TSB. They only did an alignment....it was out of spec tho.
I guess on the bright side it no longer pulls to the right, but now I feel like the wandering is more present as I find myself having to correct in both directions whereas before I i kept having to pull it back to the left since it kept trying to go right. Steering wheel still has a good inch of play.

Anyone in AZ have a dealer recommendation? Phoenix area.

fatmanontwowheels

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Took mine in this morning and didn’t really push the TSB just to see how they would react, but I did mention it. Called me later this afternoon saying the steering wheel was straight and everything was tight ( not sure what that has to do with anything lol ) per the service manager and that TSB did not apply to my issues, basically saying it was normal. I then told the service advisor what the TSB said and go grab the copy I printed and put in my center console and get back with me. Wasn’t 10 minutes and he called back saying they had to order the parts BUT, and I quote... “every dealership is only allowed 1 box every 14 days and I was 6th in line”.What is up with that? Anyone heard of such?
Sponsored

Last edited: