Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just dropped the Jeep off for first oil change. Handed service rep the TSB and paperwork from my first service at 850 miles where I complained about the steering. At that time they did nothing at all to address it.

Service rep said they would need to do a bunch of road tests and software diagnostics in order to get the TSB approved. What a bunch of B F-ing S. Showed where this TSB stayed that if the customer complains about excessive play and/or wandering to perform the TSB. Rep said this is not true...

It’s sad when you feel like you are more informed from a forum than your own FCA Jeep dealer service department.
Ask for the results of these software diagnostics and road test. Ask them to explain the thresholds for these subjective road tests if they say "normal".
Sponsored

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Ours was pretty much the same, never really had any issue w/ it UNTIL a few months ago. Several times on long drives (over 150 miles) w/ the temps over 100 the steering would exhibit very excessive play and the play wouldn't get excessive in a linear manner. The slop at the wheel would be inconsistent and go from decent to sloppy in a pretty sudden manner, quite alarming I must say. Glad my box is on order and can live the good life soon!

Tex, I think I'd get that box replaced, even though you've been fine w/ it I doubt it's a unit that's going to be stable long term. Hopefully you have a dealer that can perform the TSB without driving it :) I don't think I'd wait much if your JL is getting close to warranty expiration.
I was thinking about this from a resale perspective too - it may be something that informed Jeep prospects look for on the 18-20's. Better to get it done than not IMO even if your steering is not as horrendous as others.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Hope the dealers don't see this section in that link~
here is good news for some people. If the steering issue falls under your Jeep Wrangler or Jeep Gladiator warranty, then it may be reimbursed. However, that means you will pay for the repair upfront and wait for a reimbursement. Also, without the proper warranty, you may have to pay to have this problem solved out of pocket.
Waiting for a reimbursement from an already annoyed service dept may be a real PITA :(

CapsKorner

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab Ed.
So far everyone that has had it done, was done under warranty. Mine is getting done on Weds under warranty. So I'd be surprised if they ever actually do it that way for anyone, but these dealers seem to be so inconsistent..

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Ask for the results of these software diagnostics and road test. Ask them to explain the thresholds for these subjective road tests if they say "normal".

Taking a stab that they won’t be able to supply answers to this, which is why you probably posted this - might be fun to ask! Ha!

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
WOOT! Parts are in, get back from a current road trip then installed next week :like::like::like:

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Not a single JL youtuber I following made any mentioning of this supposedly big deal, mostly cricket, I know most of them closely monitoring this forum.

I wonder if that has anything to do with Jeep not paying them, or if they promote this fix, their overlords will absolutely lose sales to all aftermarket steering parts.

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
AML Investigator
so i had an alignment done about a month or so ago at Firestone after the local jeep dealer told me they didn't see anything wrong. I had complained about it drifting with a small amount of play in the steering wheel.

Contacted another dealership about TSB 08-074-20 and was told, if they find after an inspection that my concern is related to this, they will replace, otherwise, they will not honor the service bulletin.

@JeepCares

b1er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon, '18 JL Sport, 1980 El Camino, 1969 Olds 442
Just picked my Rubicon up from having the TSB performed. The new box is significantly tighter, very very very small dead spot at 12 o'clock, no more wandering, no more trying to swap lanes when you hit a bump, no more fighting the road crown. It should've been like this when I bought it 2 years ago... my Rubi now drives like it should...

for ref: 38's, lifted 3 inches, JKS track bars, stock drag link and tie rod, Rusty's brace, Metalcloak stabilizer... totally changed the way it drives... very impressed now...

The only change was the new box and reprogram. They wouldn't do an alignment due to all the aftermarket stuff under there and I'm glad they didn't. I wanted to see an apples to apples comparison.

If you're on the fence, hop off and go get it done.

Dealer is Bice CDJR in Alexander CIty AL. Completely happy with them. :rock::clap::rock:

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Just picked my Rubicon up from having the TSB performed. The new box is significantly tighter, very very very small dead spot at 12 o'clock, no more wandering, no more trying to swap lanes when you hit a bump, no more fighting the road crown. It should've been like this when I bought it 2 years ago... my Rubi now drives like it should...

for ref: 38's, lifted 3 inches, JKS track bars, stock drag link and tie rod, Rusty's brace, Metalcloak stabilizer... totally changed the way it drives... very impressed now...

The only change was the new box and reprogram. They wouldn't do an alignment due to all the aftermarket stuff under there and I'm glad they didn't. I wanted to see an apples to apples comparison.

If you're on the fence, hop off and go get it done.

Dealer is Bice CDJR in Alexander CIty AL. Completely happy with them. :rock::clap::rock:
Great to hear improvement in handling. Also great to hear they did TSB with all the mods :like:

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Not a single JL youtuber I following made any mentioning of this supposedly big deal, mostly cricket, I know most of them closely monitoring this forum.

I wonder if that has anything to do with Jeep not paying them, or if they promote this fix, their overlords will absolutely lose sales to all aftermarket steering parts.

Not really a fix for death wobble but it references the steering and he sells after market parts.

Doubleaaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Went in for an appointment on Aug 24th for this. Waited in the lobby for 5 hours and they said they would order parts ( took some convincing to do the TSB). The dealer did not test drive.
I haven’t heard anything for a week, called the dealership for an update. Looks like they forgot to order the parts.
They said to call back at 3pm for an update.

a little pissed.

Casey250

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUR | 2020 JLUR-D | 2022 Demonator
Occupation
Video Creator
I stopped by a dealership this morning, they took one look at my JL and said they would have to escalate to the regional manager to determine if they could order the part for the TSB under warranty. So I guess we will see....
Sponsored