Sponsored

Cl2775

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep JLUR, 2015 Jk
Anyone has done the swap in Northern Virginia area? Or have made an appointment without put up a fight with the dealer? I have a shit loaded mods, called a few places and they all sounded like they will not do it because the mods.
Sponsored

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, they said it’ll take all day when I was just trying to set up the appointment. I would’ve understood that they have several previous appointments and that my Jeep may have to sit and wait but they said it’ll take all day. @JeepCares I’ve documented this already but be ready for my dealer update experience tomorrow. Still have to do something that they could’ve done while my Jeep was there for the oil change. They wanted me to look for a front axle disconnect cable extension when there is plenty of slack just attached to the frame.

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Was out checking out some car lots today. Found three 2021 JLs (both 2 door and 4 door) and can confirm they all have the new steering box from the factory:
902330B5-8949-4137-8374-6307E27674CF.jpeg
My question would be if this steering box is coming standard in jeeps now, why not recall? Is it possibly going to take some large accidents to trace back to the steering box being the cause, or would it be swept under the rug? Makes me want to see if there are any accidents in the past year due to faulty steering.
Update- from awhile back:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/2384252001
And:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ca...tsa-jeep-wrangler-steering-shimmy-complaints/
And:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/JEEP/WRANGLER

LadyJeeper

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Teacher
Anyone has done the swap in Northern Virginia area? Or have made an appointment without put up a fight with the dealer? I have a shit loaded mods, called a few places and they all sounded like they will not do it because the mods.
Hey! I am in Warrenton, Va (Fauquier County). I took my Jeep to Safford Dodge Jeep Ram in Warrenton. I talked to Bob in the service department. He listened to my symptoms, acknowledged the TSB, and got me a rental car. I took it in last Tuesday, parts came in Friday, and (fingers crossed) it should be done tomorrow. My experience so far has been excellent. My Jeep is pretty much stock as I've only had it for two weeks. Good luck!

Sponsored

Cl2775

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep JLUR, 2015 Jk
Hey! I am in Warrenton, Va (Fauquier County). I took my Jeep to Safford Dodge Jeep Ram in Warrenton. I talked to Bob in the service department. He listened to my symptoms, acknowledged the TSB, and got me a rental car. I took it in last Tuesday, parts came in Friday, and (fingers crossed) it should be done tomorrow. My experience so far has been excellent. My Jeep is pretty much stock as I've only had it for two weeks. Good luck!
Thanks! I’ve heard good things about them, I live in fairfax but if they are willing to work with me I’ll definitely drive up there.

Cl2775

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep JLUR, 2015 Jk
Did they perform an “assessment” to determine if you’re qualify for this new steering box?

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
Was out checking out some car lots today. Found three 2021 JLs (both 2 door and 4 door) and can confirm they all have the new steering box from the factory:
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 902330B5-8949-4137-8374-6307E27674CF
Very interesting, so maybe my bad steering on my 2018 JL wasn’t a Jeep Thing ....... or was it? I’m really confused now and probably won’t sleep tonight.

LadyJeeper

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Teacher
Did they perform an “assessment” to determine if you’re qualify for this new steering box?
They may have, but did not tell me that they would need to before authorizing/performing the TSB. From the time I handed my keys to Bob, the service agent, he was already talking about ordering parts.

Sponsored

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Just picked up the Jeep Friday after the TSB. There is a huge difference in steering feel overall. Dead spot went from about an inch to about 3/8". Steering feel is more "stiff" feeling. Kind of like if your car has steering modes and you switch from normal to "sport" mode.

Wander is significantly reduced; wouldn't say completely gone, but normal for a Jeep with a solid axle. Significantly improved at highway speeds - we drive 80mph here in FL and I was cruising with one hand on the wheel.

Overall extremely happy. If the Jeep came like this from the factory, I would have never thought twice about how the steering feels (unlike when we drove it home from the dealer in 2018 and thought we were going to die lol).

Also, for those wondering, I have a Rusty's trackbar brace and it worked fine. It does seem like there are a few threads of the steering box bolts that aren't fully engaged, but thinking it's probably fine.

StaindReality

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 crew cab black out
Going In Today for an assessment to hopefully get this new box. Hoping not to have any issues with them fixing it. Jeep cares. I may need you.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just dropped mine off at dealer for TSB install today. First one the dealer will do. they didn't know there was a new TSB until my FCA rep called him and advised they were shipping a "steering kit" to them. Curious how it goes.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Just dropped the Jeep off for first oil change. Handed service rep the TSB and paperwork from my first service at 850 miles where I complained about the steering. At that time they did nothing at all to address it.

Service rep said they would need to do a bunch of road tests and software diagnostics in order to get the TSB approved. What a bunch of B F-ing S. Showed where this TSB stayed that if the customer complains about excessive play and/or wandering to perform the TSB. Rep said this is not true...

It’s sad when you feel like you are more informed from a forum than your own FCA Jeep dealer service department.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Ours was pretty much the same, never really had any issue w/ it UNTIL a few months ago. Several times on long drives (over 150 miles) w/ the temps over 100 the steering would exhibit very excessive play and the play wouldn't get excessive in a linear manner. The slop at the wheel would be inconsistent and go from decent to sloppy in a pretty sudden manner, quite alarming I must say. Glad my box is on order and can live the good life soon!

Tex, I think I'd get that box replaced, even though you've been fine w/ it I doubt it's a unit that's going to be stable long term. Hopefully you have a dealer that can perform the TSB without driving it :) I don't think I'd wait much if your JL is getting close to warranty expiration.
Sponsored