First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
you are one of the fortunate ones. Many owners have zero issues which is why there has been so much controversy on the topic. For years the battle has gone on that itā€™s a Jeep thing and there is nothing wrong. Many have argued the issue and on their own done multiple ā€œfixesā€ to make it drive able. Turns out the problem is real !
I would get it done regardless since you will be out of warranty if it occurs later. Possibly your dealer can offer an extended warranty on this component in lieu of changing it now ?
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Based on reading this thread, there seems to be no luck with any NYC/LI dealers.
I even PMā€™d jeepcares
I'm heading to 2 now dealers after work on Monday. East hills and Wantagh. They made the recommended dealer list for offering deals on vehicle purchases. I'll see if there service department is as willing to work with customers as their sales department. I'll report my findings on these steering box threads.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
dealers are still confused, some will look at the TSB as a subjective decision that THEY make and some will read the words and follow the directive. Itā€™s not a profit center for them as it seems like they lose an hour of pay in the process. Not that Iā€˜m an advocate of overpaying but what if....you nicely explained to the service mgr that you understand the fix costs more in labor than FCA reimburses them for and offered to pay them the hour differential? It would be about $150.00 and may push them into the right decision.
When I go Thursday I will offer the pay them to remove the sector shaft brace saddle only. I want to keep the frame section on since i think it helps secure the track bar. Itā€™s added work outside the typical scope and while they may agree to get paid, my gut says they will simply handle it.
Sometimes itā€™s the offer that makes the difference in showing the dealer that you understand their dilemma. But what do I know, I just deal with multi million dollar construction contracts daily and have a reputation for amazing customer service and loyalty.
I would gladly pay the difference if it meant resolving the issue once and for all.
Not that I have cash to burn, but if thatā€™s the big hang up, itā€™s a no brainer of a answer and a win-win since Jeep owners who dont get the fix will end up paying for band aids down the road or dealing with the stress from being unhappy.
The only other real solution to the problem is an cast in stone edict from FCA to the dealers that they are to do this if asked. No discussion or testing necessary and the cost is reimbursed.
It's funny you mention that. I'm planning on offering to pay the labor rate, if they cover the parts and software update. That's assuming they aren't as unrealistic as they were at Port Jefferson new york, but seem to be a bit on the fence about it.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
I'm heading to 2 now dealers after work on Monday. East hills and Wantagh. They made the recommended dealer list for offering deals on vehicle purchases. I'll see if there service department is as willing to work with customers as their sales department. I'll report my findings on these steering box threads.
will be interesting to hear the excuses.
Since i like to swat the hornets nest on occasion, i might ask them to write out why they wonā€™t do the switch out.
You know they will ask why you want this, and I would tell them FCA wants their refusal documented.
That should make them think.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
will be interesting to hear the excuses.
Since i like to swat the hornets nest on occasion, i might ask them to write out why they wonā€™t do the switch out.
You know they will ask why you want this, and I would tell them FCA wants their refusal documented.
That should make them think.
Tomorrow will be a slow day at work, so I'm planning to spend some quality time on writing some reviews that state what's specifically been said, without sounding irate. That never helps, just makes one come across as impossible to please. In the very least, it'll be interesting to see who does or doesn't have their finger on the pulse of their customer base.

Sponsored

Quigley

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2 door, 2018 Harley Limited 115th Anniversary Edition, 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel
I agree totally. My local dealer refused to adjust the steering box, even after showing them the youtube video. I take the Rubi in on Wed for the new box to be installed.

Reactions: RTJ

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
I agree totally. My local dealer refused to adjust the steering box, even after showing them the youtube video. I take the Rubi in on Wed for the new box to be installed.
Well, I guess in hindsight, adjusting the OEM steering box was treating the symptoms not the real problem; a poorly designed and/or poorly manufactured steering gear box. Interesting how this went from a Jeep Thing and "they all do that" to a TSB. I guess the customers were right. On the plus side, someone at Jeep finally fixed the Jeep Thing. Thank you to that person and those people who were truly interested in listening and doing the right thing.

Sponsored

AltJL

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
I took mine to the dealer yesterday and they agreed to do the service. I just have to wait two weeks for the parts.

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Technically, itā€™s not up to them to decide. The TSB clearly states that if you, the customer, say you have the symptoms, they are to do the repair. Nothing about them driving and deciding, not for them to determine. Itā€™s all a matter of how firm you want to be with them and what the TSB clearly states.
Thus if you call to say you have loose/wandering steering then that should be it, and no need to have the Jeep all day like they want to do with my Jeep tomorrow. Iā€™ll update @JeepCares with the service they provide and the ā€œamount of wandering they think there should beā€œ.

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2020 JLUW
Thus if you call to say you have loose/wandering steering then that should be it, and no need to have the Jeep all day like they want to do with my Jeep tomorrow. Iā€™ll update @JeepCares with the service they provide and the ā€œamount of wandering they think there should beā€œ.
I agree completely. If you say you have it, they should do repair. No need for having it al day until they do the fix. Definitely contact Jeep Cares if they give you the ā€œdrives like a Jeepā€ line.