Sponsored

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
If given no other choice, I would. Unfortunately, some of our local dealers are not wanting to touch my Jeep because of modifications not performed by them.

I'd rather pay here, than my current alternative, which involves a 40+ hour and 2500+ mile round trip. Local dealers insist on an inspection to verify if i qualify for the tsb. They refuse to look at the tsb to see that no inspection is necessary if the customer claims the listed symptoms. They further refuse to inspect it unless i revert it back to stock. Just paying for what should be warranteed is easier than any of these run arounds.

Have you had any luck, and are you still stock?
I have a somewhat decent relationship with a service advisor at a local dealer. I am going to reach out Monday and see what he says. Get a ballpark price on what it would cost if they say I'm SOL.
Sponsored

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
1.9 hours of dealer warranty time. Some on here say it's more of a 2-3 hour job though.
Bet my dealer would stretch that to 3-4 hrs if not “all day”. I’ll see Monday if my steering has play in it. Have a feeling they’ll say there is the amount of play/looseness in the steering that there is supposed to be to their standards.

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2020 JLUW
Bet my dealer would stretch that to 3-4 hrs if not “all day”. I’ll see Monday if my steering has play in it. Have a feeling they’ll say there is the amount of play/looseness in the steering that there is supposed to be to their standards.
Technically, it’s not up to them to decide. The TSB clearly states that if you, the customer, say you have the symptoms, they are to do the repair. Nothing about them driving and deciding, not for them to determine. It’s all a matter of how firm you want to be with them and what the TSB clearly states.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
if you elect to pay for it , i think is worth it to not spend 40 hrs and drive elsewhere. if this fixes the issue the improvement will be worth the cost.
Save your receipt as it may be reimbursable if it becomes a recall.
The dealer in Port Jefferson New York said they won't do anything before a full inspection of the vehicle. They won't inspect it unless it's reverted back to stock, because they weren't the ones who modded it.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I have a somewhat decent relationship with a service advisor at a local dealer. I am going to reach out Monday and see what he says. Get a ballpark price on what it would cost if they say I'm SOL.
Please let me know if you have any luck at your dealer. I'm heading to 2 dealers, one in Wantagh and the other in east hills, because they are the only ones that made the recommended dealer list for offering good deals on vehicle purchases. If sales is willing to work with customers, maybe the service department will follow suit.

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Technically, it’s not up to them to decide. The TSB clearly states that if you, the customer, say you have the symptoms, they are to do the repair. Nothing about them driving and deciding, not for them to determine. It’s all a matter of how firm you want to be with them and what the TSB clearly states.
In a different thread the question was posed to Jeep Cares if this TSB was subjective to the dealers decision.
The below is the answer from JeepCares:

As stated in the TSB, as long as the customer describes the symptoms, dealer should perform the repair. If your dealer is giving you a hard time, please message us for support.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
I was told yesterday that it was 2.9 hours plus the software update time.

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
In a different thread the question was posed to Jeep Cares if this TSB was subjective to the dealers decision.
The below is the answer from JeepCares:

As stated in the TSB, as long as the customer describes the symptoms, dealer should perform the repair. If your dealer is giving you a hard time, please message us for support.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
You would think the manufacturer AND the dealer would both be interested in your satisfaction. Some dealers especially don’t seem to understand there is a correlation between customer satisfaction and returning to their store to spend more money with them. Huh. I’m not a rocket scientist but i do know a bit about economics and marketing.

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Based on reading this thread, there seems to be no luck with any NYC/LI dealers.
I even PM’d jeepcares

Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You would think the manufacturer AND the dealer would both be interested in your satisfaction. Some dealers especially don’t seem to understand there is a correlation between customer satisfaction and returning to their store to spend more money with them. Huh. I’m not a rocket scientist but i do know a bit about economics and marketing.
Dealers hate recalls and TSB’s since they make garbage money on them. This rolls back on FCA, they need to motivate dealers to get these jobs lined up and take care of the tech and dealer via decent compensation. They probably make more on an oil change than this TSB.

That being said, if the dealer would take care of the customer we may be swayed to give them more work, like continuing our oil changes and brake replacements and such, which they make good margins on.

theiowan

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
Occupation
CPA
Dealers hate recalls and TSB’s since they make garbage money on them. This rolls back on FCA, they need to motivate dealers to get these jobs lined up and take care of the tech and dealer via decent compensation. They probably make more on an oil change than this TSB.

That being said, if the dealer would take care of the customer we may be swayed to give them more work, like continuing our oil changes and brake replacements and such, which they make good margins on.
Looks like FCA waited too long with the fix. Wranglers now have a reputation for loose steering. The latest issue of Motor Trend states "the SUV still has some shortcomings: the loose steering makes the Wrangler hard to keep centered at highway speeds"

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
dealers are still confused, some will look at the TSB as a subjective decision that THEY make and some will read the words and follow the directive. It’s not a profit center for them as it seems like they lose an hour of pay in the process. Not that I‘m an advocate of overpaying but what if....you nicely explained to the service mgr that you understand the fix costs more in labor than FCA reimburses them for and offered to pay them the hour differential? It would be about $150.00 and may push them into the right decision.
When I go Thursday I will offer the pay them to remove the sector shaft brace saddle only. I want to keep the frame section on since i think it helps secure the track bar. It’s added work outside the typical scope and while they may agree to get paid, my gut says they will simply handle it.
Sometimes it’s the offer that makes the difference in showing the dealer that you understand their dilemma. But what do I know, I just deal with multi million dollar construction contracts daily and have a reputation for amazing customer service and loyalty.
I would gladly pay the difference if it meant resolving the issue once and for all.
Not that I have cash to burn, but if that’s the big hang up, it’s a no brainer of a answer and a win-win since Jeep owners who dont get the fix will end up paying for band aids down the road or dealing with the stress from being unhappy.
The only other real solution to the problem is an cast in stone edict from FCA to the dealers that they are to do this if asked. No discussion or testing necessary and the cost is reimbursed.
Sponsored