Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I would venture to say at some point they may just issue a recall!
So many are flocking to dealers to try and get it done. Who ever designed the aluminum gearbox should hang his head in shame, I still wonder how they tested it and why they thought it was tolerable. Mine is not as extreme as some but it is still bad. How did they think these would fly or did they even really know? Seems odd that they did an incredible job re designing the jeep in many ways but the part that was most needed was bad! (literally undrivable) I understand the weight thing but in this case they should have done a little more homework, more testing hot weather ..cold weather. Other car companies surely have implemented aluminum steering boxes. How did it go so wrong? So yes I know not every Wrangler has this problem but again for those who do why is this not just released as a recall ...FCA ... my bad, some JL's have steering problems we want them fixed! instead it is released as a TSB that does nothing to strengthen the brand...what would is admitting the issues and correcting them....which yes they are doing now but backwards.
Sponsored

JLNYC227

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Just left Buhler, ordered parts with no ETA. Hoping soon. Have stabilzer,track bar and sector shaft installed. No issues

sarum87

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ 7
Vehicle Showcase
I called the Napa, CA Jeep dealer and gave them the TSB number and they couldn't even find it in their system. I just had to laugh. So lame. I emailed it to her. Made an appointment for next week. We'll see what they say.

Alpha Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
Just test drove our Jeep after picking it up. What a difference. Took it on the highway too. No more constant back and forth corrections. This is finally a slam dunk from FCA. It would have been great if they started the JL series with this box instead of the garbage aluminum one.

Dealer service advisor was outstanding. Has a wrangler himself and was telling us about off-roading trails we havenā€™t been to. We shared some of our own that we found.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I had just traded my Audi for this 2020 JL YESTERDAY.
First time ever owning a Jeep product, and i noticed my steering moves very freely / easily.
Felt as if the car constantly pulls to the right while driving above 45mph

I am unsure if it is a alignment or tire pull issue, and i stumbled across this post here.
Now i am wondering if i am experiencing this issue or if it is something else.
I called the Napa, CA Jeep dealer and gave them the TSB number and they couldn't even find it in their system. I just had to laugh. So lame. I emailed it to her. Made an appointment for next week. We'll see what they say.
@MrFenderpicks & @saruma87,

Please feel free to send us a PM if you would like additional assistance while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Mine is going in next Thursday for an inspection. I am in the never really noticed anything wrong club. So it will be interesting to see the difference.

My dealer is huge and the service writer had not heard of the TSB. Only mods are rubi take offs.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
China better ramp up production. I'm sure every JL on the road will want one.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I had just traded my Audi for this 2020 JL YESTERDAY.
First time ever owning a Jeep product, and i noticed my steering moves very freely / easily.
Felt as if the car constantly pulls to the right while driving above 45mph

I am unsure if it is a alignment or tire pull issue, and i stumbled across this post here.
Now i am wondering if i am experiencing this issue or if it is something else.
Welcome to the forum.

The loose steering and pulling is not normal and fit the tsb criteria. I had my ā€˜19 bought back for that.

I would recommend having this TSB done to fix your steering problems.

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
@MrFenderpicks & @saruma87,

Please feel free to send us a PM if you would like additional assistance while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Iā€™ll keep yā€™all informed with my service team come Monday when I take my Jeep in. The person didnā€™t even want to look up the service bulletin and said there should be play in the steering. I have contacted Jeep already about the steering and service department over here.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
I would venture to say at some point they may just issue a recall!
So many are flocking to dealers to try and get it done. Who ever designed the aluminum gearbox should hang his head in shame, I still wonder how they tested it and why they thought it was tolerable. Mine is not as extreme as some but it is still bad. How did they think these would fly or did they even really know? Seems odd that they did an incredible job re designing the jeep in many ways but the part that was most needed was bad! (literally undrivable) I understand the weight thing but in this case they should have done a little more homework, more testing hot weather ..cold weather. Other car companies surely have implemented aluminum steering boxes. How did it go so wrong? So yes I know not every Wrangler has this problem but again for those who do why is this not just released as a recall ...FCA ... my bad, some JL's have steering problems we want them fixed! instead it is released as a TSB that does nothing to strengthen the brand...what would is admitting the issues and correcting them....which yes they are doing now but backwards.

If they issue it as a recall then they are obligated to notify every JL owner, and replace replace hundreds of thousands of these. Thatā€™s a huge cost compared to as a TSB that only people that are aware of...or experiencing the problem require the fix.
I think probably only 10% of JL owners have the problem so thatā€™s 90% that FCA doesnā€™t have to pay for.
I would also guess that there is a huge legal difference of liability to them if a recall is issued.

2 years ago when people were first complaining about this, a poster on this forum told FCA the problem was the aluminum that was prone to expansion. They ignored the poster and justified that if that was the issue than every jeep owner would be having the issue. The subject went around in circles about how hot weather and engine heat in different climates effected users differently. Many owners may have problems and just drank the kool-aid that it is normal and a Jeep thing. Those of us that have had past Jeeps knew different.
If your out of warranty i think itā€™s worth paying for to get the steering corrected. Save the paperwork so if it becomes a recall you can apply for reimbursement.

Sponsored

Not2happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangled rubicon
Anyone have luck with a NYC/Long island dealer with this TSB?
I got my Rubicon at port Jeff they gave me "it's a jeep thing" and the tsb doesnt apply to my steering boxi have a different one ( all the wranglers come with the same box )then took it to huntington I had to make an appointment AND leave it for them to check it out and showed them the tsb they said they are ordering it and SHOULD be here first or second week of September of course even at Huntington jeep when I first brought it in they played it like they never heard of the problem or saw the tsb when I picked it up and told me they wereordering the PARTS they said they order the same PART for someone else a week before and they were still waiting for them so they already knew about the problem and the tsb so you might have to bring your own copy of the tsb be CAUSE they like to play dumb good luck

znakos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
If they issue it as a recall then they are obligated to notify every JL owner, and replace replace hundreds of thousands of these. Thatā€™s a huge cost compared to as a TSB that only people that are aware of...or experiencing the problem require the fix.
I think probably only 10% of JL owners have the problem so thatā€™s 90% that FCA doesnā€™t have to pay for.
I would also guess that there is a huge legal difference of liability to them if a recall is issued.

2 years ago when people were first complaining about this, a poster on this forum told FCA the problem was the aluminum that was prone to expansion. They ignored the poster and justified that if that was the issue than every jeep owner would be having the issue. The subject went around in circles about how hot weather and engine heat in different climates effected users differently. Many owners may have problems and just drank the kool-aid that it is normal and a Jeep thing. Those of us that have had past Jeeps knew different.
If your out of warranty i think itā€™s worth paying for to get the steering corrected. Save the paperwork so if it becomes a recall you can apply for reimbursement.
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't every recall have the word safety before it? If FCA doesnt deem this a safety issue, then there's zero chance it will be a safety recall. Until someone's aluminum box catches fire like some of the clutches did, there will be no recall, lol.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't every recall have the word safety before it? If FCA doesnt deem this a safety issue, then there's zero chance it will be a safety recall. Until someone's aluminum box catches fire like some of the clutches did, there will be no recall, lol.
someone would need to look at past recalls, but youā€™re most likely correct that they are all safety related.
This new TSB does not mention the word safety anywhere in it, only customer satisfaction. They will most likely never issue it as a recall until it is proven to be the cause of accidents. The cost to make it a official recall would be considerable. While it most likely is a safety issue in my opinion and probably has been the cause of accidents, they must be cautious of the wording of the TSB for legal reasons..

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
So what is the general consensus, is it worth paying for if you are out of warranty?
If given no other choice, I would. Unfortunately, some of our local dealers are not wanting to touch my Jeep because of modifications not performed by them.

I'd rather pay here, than my current alternative, which involves a 40+ hour and 2500+ mile round trip. Local dealers insist on an inspection to verify if i qualify for the tsb. They refuse to look at the tsb to see that no inspection is necessary if the customer claims the listed symptoms. They further refuse to inspect it unless i revert it back to stock. Just paying for what should be warranteed is easier than any of these run arounds.

Have you had any luck, and are you still stock?
Sponsored