Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Went in yesterday and the dealer ordered the new steering box. I verified the part number with the one from the TSB as they first told me it was ordered, only to find out that they only ordered the replacement front track bar from a previous TSB. I was told that the ETA on the new box would be two months since there were 4 more in front of me at this dealer in Georgia. I'm fine with it as I've been driving this way for 2 years now, but I am excited to read some of the improvements that people are seeing.
Sponsored

brbutler

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 6-speed, 2016 VW GTI 6-speed, 1984 Porsche 928S 5-speed
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 6-speed with 13k miles, no mods except for Rubi take-off wheels/tires. Had appointment this past Tuesday for the clutch recall, oil change, tire rotation, roof leak, and had referenced the steering box TSB when I made the appointment. During check-in, the service advisor asked if I had steering wander, and I said yes. That was the extent of our conversation about it, and I left in my RAM 1500 loaner. I picked the Jeep up today, and all services were performed without drama. I did verify the new steering box is installed, and WOW, it drives like a totally different vehicle. No wander, tight steering, minimal free play.

I had not taken any action since taking delivery new last September, but knew right away that the steering was not good - not to the point of being dangerous, but extremely fatiguing to drive any distance on the highway. It wandered constantly, had about 1 to 2 inches of free play, and was extremely susceptible to any hint of a breeze. I followed all of the discussions here about it, but decided to live with it until there was some sort of official remedy. This TSB seems to be it.

I'll add that they put zero miles on it, so no test drive to verify the issue. However, I do wish they had taken it for a spin after completing the work, as the steering wheel is off-center, and there is a pull to the left, regardless of which side of the road crown. I suspect that my alignment was slightly off, and this tighter box now makes that more apparent. They will take it in next week to adjust the alignment while I wait. Very happy with the service, just wish the tech had checked his work after the install.

In any event, it now drives like I would have expected, save for the alignment being a bit off.

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 6-speed with 13k miles, no mods except for Rubi take-off wheels/tires. Had appointment this past Tuesday for the clutch recall, oil change, tire rotation, roof leak, and had referenced the steering box TSB when I made the appointment. During check-in, the service advisor asked if I had steering wander, and I said yes. That was the extent of our conversation about it, and I left in my RAM 1500 loaner. I picked the Jeep up today, and all services were performed without drama. I did verify the new steering box is installed, and WOW, it drives like a totally different vehicle. No wander, tight steering, minimal free play.

I had not taken any action since taking delivery new last September, but knew right away that the steering was not good - not to the point of being dangerous, but extremely fatiguing to drive any distance on the highway. It wandered constantly, had about 1 to 2 inches of free play, and was extremely susceptible to any hint of a breeze. I followed all of the discussions here about it, but decided to live with it until there was some sort of official remedy. This TSB seems to be it.

I'll add that they put zero miles on it, so no test drive to verify the issue. However, I do wish they had taken it for a spin after completing the work, as the steering wheel is off-center, and there is a pull to the left, regardless of which side of the road crown. I suspect that my alignment was slightly off, and this tighter box now makes that more apparent. They will take it in next week to adjust the alignment while I wait. Very happy with the service, just wish the tech had checked his work after the install.

In any event, it now drives like I would have expected, save for the alignment being a bit off.
Glad to hear it!!

CenTX JPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 05 TJR 6spd
Hi all, long time lurker, but my first post.

I'm number 11 at my closest dealer, so at 14 days each, that is 154 days for the box to arrive. Seems most folks on here get them within a week.

I was in the middle of putting on a spacer lift, so I reversed course and went back to stock. Didn't want any push back from the dealer. As it turned out, they gave me the "it drives like a Jeep" speil. I said 'oh, I agree, but this TSB is the FIX'.

Parts are ordered, so I am now putting lift back on and thinking since it is documented, I won't have a problem when I return it for the work to be done.

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
You guys all outside of greater NYC have such great luck with dealers. It’s like pulling teeth here to get them to do it

Sponsored

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
@BrandonB00 ... have you seen this?/
Yes! thanks for tagging me here! I called my local dealer in Healdsburg and didn't feel comfortable with the way they acted like they may or may not qualify my vehicle for the TSB so I called Roseville and they were aware and will try and get me in in mid September. I guess that's when they've been told they can order parts. I'm fine with waiting until then. I'm crossing my fingers!

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Yes! thanks for tagging me here! I called my local dealer in Healdsburg and didn't feel comfortable with the way they acted like they may or may not qualify my vehicle for the TSB so I called Roseville and they were aware and will try and get me in in mid September. I guess that's when they've been told they can order parts. I'm fine with waiting until then. I'm crossing my fingers!
Good luck! I really hope they can help you and it fixes you steering. Finally!

I’m taking my Jeep in for the first oil change in a couple weeks and will mention the tsb. My Jeep is as good as one with the aluminum box can be, but I wonder if it will get looser over time.

sapperof2

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Dropped my Jeep off on Monday evening. Got the call Tuesday that they overnighted the parts. As of today, the steering gear came in, but not any of the hardware. Was told by the parts department that it’s a “restricted” part to order and expect it to be in some time later next week. Does this sound right? How can your order the main component but none of the sub components to fix the main component. I figured if they could order the steering gears, than the rest should come along with it.

@JeepCares

MrFenderpicks

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I had just traded my Audi for this 2020 JL YESTERDAY.
First time ever owning a Jeep product, and i noticed my steering moves very freely / easily.
Felt as if the car constantly pulls to the right while driving above 45mph

I am unsure if it is a alignment or tire pull issue, and i stumbled across this post here.
Now i am wondering if i am experiencing this issue or if it is something else.

nam6869usmc

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 2-Door S
Dropped my Jeep off on Monday evening. Got the call Tuesday that they overnighted the parts. As of today, the steering gear came in, but not any of the hardware. Was told by the parts department that it’s a “restricted” part to order and expect it to be in some time later next week. Does this sound right? How can your order the main component but none of the sub components to fix the main component. I figured if they could order the steering gears, than the rest should come along with it.

@JeepCares
When my parts were ordered yesterday they said the box would be here Fri, then he checked the single bolt and they had 4 in stock. When he checked for the 4 steel bolts he said they showed ((restricted))and guess what, gotta call this morning and all parts are there. Hopefully you'll have some good luck.

Sponsored

znakos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S

Is it a pull to the left or is the wheel just slightly off center to the left? Likely just a simple adjustment to the drag link and you should be all good to go if the wheel is only off center.

jeep-v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0T
Although, I was told it will take a while to get the parts two days ago. Today morning, I got text from the dealer stating the parts are arrived and ready. I scheduled the service appointment on Sep 2, 2020.

sapperof2

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
When my parts were ordered yesterday they said the box would be here Fri, then he checked the single bolt and they had 4 in stock. When he checked for the 4 steel bolts he said they showed ((restricted))and guess what, gotta call this morning and all parts are there. Hopefully you'll have some good luck.
Thanks, that's the only thing they can't order (4 steel bolts), but they do have everything else. Told me it's restricted until next Tuesday. I'm picking the Jeep up tomorrow and going to schedule a fix once all parts are in. Seeing from all the posts, this seems like the fix for the issue.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Got it replaced, tighter steering feel, takes input to turn now, not just flopping around like a fish. No more wandering, should have been like this from day 1. Do what you gotta do and replace that garbage with this one.

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Brought my 2020 JLUR in on Tuesday and all parts except the steering box have been ordered. They can’t order the box until 9/3. Looking forward to seeing what this does.

i do have the Mopar lift and 35” BFG KM3’s on as well that were installed by the dealer so they didn’t try to blame that. Was a pretty easy transactio.
Sponsored