Sponsored

CherryWrangler

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude
Picked up mine today after the fix. Steering is tight as we all want it to behave.

BUT, there is a half-inch dead spot left now, but hey this is much much better than before, where i had to drive with off-center steering which also had 3-inch dead spot. Now i can drive with a dead center steering and don't have to keep moving the wheel to keep going straight.

Also i think the half-inch dead sport should go away after some time when the new box breaks in properly.

I can drive it like a normal car now, (oops normal jeep now*).
Sponsored

JARHEAD-JL

First Name
Andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
First - You really need to reach out to Jeep Cares and get an FCA rep to contact you.

My Story -
We've had a lot of stuff go on with my wife's Jeep. The latest being a leaking t-case input shaft / transmission output shaft seal, leaking cam shaft positioning sensor seals AND the steering gear box was damp which clearly means it's leaking.
Took it to dealer and the dealer had to call local rep to come out and look. Local rep says don't fix any of it since its not dripping. What a bunch of BS. Fortunately the service rep (who used to be a tech) went to his boss and said hey, this isn't right. None of that should be damp let alone dripping we need to do him right. Service manager says fix everything but the steering box since he has a lift and he put a dropped pitman arm on it. I explained that you don't do drop pitman arms anymore and that I don't have one. But also thanked him profoundly for doing the right thing and getting my Jeep fixed.
I thought that was the end of it. Then about 3 weeks ago out of the blue I get a call from an FCA rep. Wants to know how things are going and specifically how is your steering. I laughed at him and said are you serious? Which he said he was, so I told him your local rep told me to go screw myself on ALL the leaks but my dealer did the right thing anyway. I also told him the steering box was not touched. I told him I know how you guys work... you are hoping the warranty runs out or I sell it. He said no, this isn't right that needs to be addressed and we have a brand new box. He overnighted the box to the dealership and the rest is history.
Here's the funny part... I have an extended warranty which got completely overlooked the first time I was in for this latest round of problems. When I went back to the dealership for my auto start stop problem I told thme FCA is going to be calling you about my steering box and he said no problem, looks at my paperwork and said that steering box should have been done because your extended warranty would have covered it. BUT had it been done then I wouldn't have gotten the new box.
Damn brother sounds like alot to be honest.
I'm really glad your stuff got sorted out.

How is the Jeep driving now?

And I made contact with @JeepCares, I'm just waiting to hear back. I don't have any leaking like that, but I just want the Jeep to be more responsive and not feel like I will die on the highway.

It's like a Jeep that's lifted gets immediately discriminated by the dealerships for anything that happens to it.

And lifted Jeeps are what most of us want.

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My experience:

Brought it in today with this TSB and several other software update TSB's that needed to get done. The Service Advisor didn't want to look at the TSB or discuss it, but I left it with him. Of course I get a call at the end of the day and they only did 1 out of 5 of the software updates, claiming that I already had the latest updates, even though my car hasn't been to a dealer since 8/2018, so that's impossible.

Anyways, they refused to do the steering TSB because of my lift and because they "couldn't replicate". Bull.

I called @JeepCares . Agent says she is going to reach out to the dealer to find out why they declined to do the work and talk with them. She puts me on hold, comes back in a couple minutes and says she couldn't get in touch with them and that there is nothing she can do because I installed a lift (fyi - there is no way she couldn't get in touch with someone at this large dealership). I said, but if you didn't talk to them, how can you discuss the reason they didn't agree to do the TSB? She immediately got extremely rude and says she's done everything she can. I said well you didn't really help me if you aren't going to try to talk to the dealer. After going back and forth a bit, she ends up saying she's done everything she can, goodbye, and hangs up on me. Sure...Jeep Cares alright.

Anyways, went to the dealer this afternoon. Ended up talking to the manager of the service department. After arguing for about 30 minutes, they say they are willing to go for a ride with me to feel the wander/dead spot. I wait about another 10 minutes for them to meet me and they come out and say they decided to go ahead and order the box and do the TSB. Supposedly getting the parts on Friday and will be done by the afternoon.

I'm hopeful there are no other "gotchas", but man, what a battle this has been so far.

TLDR: After arguing with the dealer and Jeep Cares to try to get some traction, the dealer finally agreed to do the TSB.

RDT300

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
2 years and 4 months, Finallllllllly the nightmare has ended. I have a 2018 JLUR with mopar 2" inch lift and 35" KO2's that was installed by dealer at time of delivery. Didn't notice the loose steering or wandering until about three months later bc I do very little highway driving. This is my 6th Jeep wrangler so I knew something wasn't right with steering but i went back to dealer and test drove 2 other jeeps on lot and they all had same loose steering. Anyways in the first six months of ownership, I had 2 alignments done, reflash and software updates, added adjustable track bar and adjustable lower control arms, adjustable Fox steering stabilizer and even adjusted the steering box set screw. None of that worked to get rid of the play and wandering.

Last friday I stop by dealer and spoke with service advisor showing him TSB. Service manager says make appointment bring in jeep for them to look at. They already have several past appointments in their system in regards to my steering complaints. I say OK.

Monday I drop off Jeep. Three hours later service advisor calls me and says they ordered new steering box and should be in at dealer in few days.

Tuesday I get phone call saying parts are in.

Wednesday i drop off jeep for the repairs. 100% fixed!!!!!

Do not waste money on any aftermarket parts...this new steering gear box is what you need.. If you are out of warranty or FCA refused to do the TSB bc of non mopar lifts or aftermarket parts then spend that money on getting the new steering box installed.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Damn brother sounds like alot to be honest.
I'm really glad your stuff got sorted out.

How is the Jeep driving now?

And I made contact with @JeepCares, I'm just waiting to hear back. I don't have any leaking like that, but I just want the Jeep to be more responsive and not feel like I will die on the highway.

It's like a Jeep that's lifted gets immediately discriminated by the dealerships for anything that happens to it.

And lifted Jeeps are what most of us want.
Jeep is nice and tight now with only about 1/2" dead spot like the other poster has. Funny thing is even with the old steering box my wife's 3.5" lifted Jeep on 37s handled WAAAAAAY better than a stock Sport loaner vehicle we had off the lot. I dropped around $1500 into that steering stuff and it pays off in terms of handling. Turns out the steering box was the last piece of the puzzle.
My guess is the FCA rep is going to be on your side. They read the TSB and it clearly states that if the owner is complaining repair it.

Sponsored

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
FIXED!!!!
THIS TSB and cast iron steering box fixed the jeep. It feels like a normal driving jeep now. No wandering up to 75 mph + and minimal to no dead spot. Amazing! Went from irritated as hell to happy.

Background. 3" lift 35" tires. Synergy tie rod, drag link sector shaft/track bar brace and rancho geometry correction bracket. Performed power steering fuse technique reset. Caster @ 5. None of that stuff helped ($3000 with labor and 2 months in 4wd shop given back ordered parts).

The only thing that worked was the new steering box.

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Love to hear all this news, warm & cozy inside now :)

thecarps

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Software Engineer
Called my Dealer in North Atlanta on Monday. Part came in on Tuesday and installed today (Wednesday).

Jeep is stock except for Synergy trackbar brace and Fox Steering Stabilizer.

1. Wandering is gone.
2. Works fine with Synergy Trackbar Brace. (Dealer removed and reinstalled). Charged me an hour shop labor and well worth it.
3. Steering is tighter.

Now the not so great news as others have indicated and I found it really bad.
1. The dead space is seriously bad. I have about an inch of deadspace and it sucks but hey its not all other the road at highway speed so I'll give it some time and wait it out.
2. The set screw on top does NOT get rid of the dead spot like the aluminum steering box allowed. If you tighten the set screw it just takes away the back to center ability. I tried that right when I got home. Changed it back. Its not locked like the aluminum but same Nut/Allen combo.

Hoping maybe I just got a bad steering box or maybe I need to remove the stabilizer brace.
Don't fall for the BS about lead time for the boxes. Should only take 2 days in any metro area. If your dealer is saying weeks then reach out to a larger dealer. My dealer didn't hear about supply issues. I was the first install but they said parts are available within 2 days.

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
My experience:

Brought it in today with this TSB and several other software update TSB's that needed to get done. The Service Advisor didn't want to look at the TSB or discuss it, but I left it with him. Of course I get a call at the end of the day and they only did 1 out of 5 of the software updates, claiming that I already had the latest updates, even though my car hasn't been to a dealer since 8/2018, so that's impossible.

Anyways, they refused to do the steering TSB because of my lift and because they "couldn't replicate". Bull.

I called @JeepCares . Agent says she is going to reach out to the dealer to find out why they declined to do the work and talk with them. She puts me on hold, comes back in a couple minutes and says she couldn't get in touch with them and that there is nothing she can do because I installed a lift (fyi - there is no way she couldn't get in touch with someone at this large dealership). I said, but if you didn't talk to them, how can you discuss the reason they didn't agree to do the TSB? She immediately got extremely rude and says she's done everything she can. I said well you didn't really help me if you aren't going to try to talk to the dealer. After going back and forth a bit, she ends up saying she's done everything she can, goodbye, and hangs up on me. Sure...Jeep Cares alright.

Anyways, went to the dealer this afternoon. Ended up talking to the manager of the service department. After arguing for about 30 minutes, they say they are willing to go for a ride with me to feel the wander/dead spot. I wait about another 10 minutes for them to meet me and they come out and say they decided to go ahead and order the box and do the TSB. Supposedly getting the parts on Friday and will be done by the afternoon.

I'm hopeful there are no other "gotchas", but man, what a battle this has been so far.

TLDR: After arguing with the dealer and Jeep Cares to try to get some traction, the dealer finally agreed to do the TSB.
Feels almost how dealing with my dealership is like. I called to schedule a appointment today to have them check the loose steering other than the slight pull driver side on the highway, and the service guy first stopped me to say there aren’t any new recalls and that they did the steering stabilizer recall with my Jeep before I purchased it. I tried to bring up the service bulletin and the guy didn’t even want to look it up. Finally he said that they’ll check it out but I want to have my deck in hand in case they try to say there’s nothing wrong and that there should be about 2” of play with the steering wheel. Pretty sure they’ll try to say bigger tires and the lift are the reason for it.
I’m thinking of calling @JeepCares tomorrow to make sure they inform the dealership since at least one of their guys isn’t tracking.

Sponsored

LadyJeeper

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Teacher
Update from post #518

Well, Service Rep Bob called to tell me my parts are not in yet. Supposedly they are coming in on Friday. I'm not surprised...I was a bit skeptical when he told me he ordered them yesterday and that they would have arrived today.

Good News...he cleared it with the dealership for me to keep the rental car (Dodge Challenger) until my Jeep is fixed. I thought it was odd that they didn't want me to take my Jeep back and just bring it in on Friday for the fix. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Hubs isn't complaining though, as we may or may not have hit triple digits on the highway this evening...;)

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
This is all very interesting.. the hit and miss..largely from those with major steering issues. My steering has been similar to the posted video after this upgrade. I don't have a dead spot other than what you'd normally get from a SFA vehicle, and every steering/supsension upgrade I've done has made it incrementally better. I drove from Denver, CO area to Salt Lake City, UT yesterday. It was a 9 hour drive with my frequent breaks. Going through rock springs, wy with what felt like 20mph side and headwinds I could let go of the wheel basically. It's a real pleasure to drive this jeep.

I may go the route of adjusting my stock steering box to tighten it just a bit.

BeerMeBruh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Some of ya'll are giving me hope with this. Mine is going in on the 2nd, I don't really wanna fight them on it I just want it done but over the phone they sounded reluctant to schedule the appointment and tried telling me it was all "normal". Yeah, normal for a bad steering gear....

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Some of ya'll are giving me hope with this. Mine is going in on the 2nd, I don't really wanna fight them on it I just want it done but over the phone they sounded reluctant to schedule the appointment and tried telling me it was all "normal". Yeah, normal for a bad steering gear....
I’m dealing with the same thing at my dealership saying “there should be some play in case you sneeze while you’re driving”. What in the world does sneezing have to do with bad/loose/dead spot steering. I just need this bulletin in hand other than have @JeepCares on speed dial.

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2020 JLUW
I’m dealing with the same thing at my dealership saying “there should be some play in case you sneeze while you’re driving”. What in the world does sneezing have to do with bad/loose/dead spot steering. I just need this bulletin in hand other than have @JeepCares on speed dial.
Haha, Top Fuel Dragsters have no play in the steering. Imagine what a sneeze at 300 mph+ would do!
Sponsored