First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler MOAB
Build Thread
Link
I am in the Raleigh area and took my Jeep in last Friday with a copy of the TSB. They did not have the parts in stock so they ordered the parts and to my surprise texted me this morning and said the parts arrived. I drove over and the parts were installed in about 3 hours.
This makes a huge difference as others have said. No more dead spot and no more pulling to the right. Big shout out to Capital CJD in Garner NC for a great dealer experience!
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I am in the Raleigh area and took my Jeep in last Friday with a copy of the TSB. They did not have the parts in stock so they ordered the parts and to my surprise texted me this morning and said the parts arrived. I drove over and the parts were installed in about 3 hours.
This makes a huge difference as others have said. No more dead spot and no more pulling to the right. Big shout out to Capital CJD in Garner NC for a great dealer experience!
Nice to know old farts still get respect! Great to hear :)

Doubleaaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Had a 7:45 appointment. It is 10:50, still waiting at the dealership. Wrangler has not moved, still sitting in the parking lot
Update: after sitting around for 4 hours, they told me they are going to order the TSB parts. Will give me a call once they arrive. No test drive.

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
I guess I will go see what my dealer says tomorrow. I know not many have had this done yet, but has the TSB made anyone's Jeep drive worse? Mine is tolerable now, just is not fun on narrow roads.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@JeepCares. I bought my 2019 jlur fro palmer Jeep. I have a solid 1.5 to 2 inches of play (Dead spot) in the wheel. Unfortunately, I went to Newnan Jeep in Newnan Ga for the tsb service. They gave me the its a Jeep and should drive like crap speech and after I asked to elevate the issue agreed to order a new track bar. WTF? I new track bar, doesnā€™t even make since. I left in defeat. Maybe I should call Palmer, or maybe Jeepcares can help. i figure the trackbar is at least an admission something is wrong. Any suggestions how I should proceed? Funny thing is I new that Newnan Jeep would do This crap! Why do so many dealers just go directly to trying to screw folks over vs just over good service?

i had an 84 cj7, a 06 tju, a 2012 jk, and all drove better than my 50k rubi. Sad. Just sad.
Please send our team a message with your VIN, mileage, and dealer so that we can escalate a case for additional assistance with getting this completed.

Great to know, thank you.

Darlene,

I went to the dealer I take my Jeeps for service this last weekend because I noticed the driver side roll bar speaker not working. They checked it out and said something is wrong with my radio so they ordered a replacement. Great service and response as usual from this dealership.

While I was there, I asked about this TSB because when I picked up my Jeep from a different dealership I bought it from (2 hrs from my house) and drove it home, I noticed it wanting to wander around the lane I was driving in on the freeway. It just felt nervous at 65-80 mph on the freeway. I did some research on this and other forums and now understand Wranglers don't necessarily have the best steering feel and accuracy. Curious point because my Grand Cheerokee is great to drive on the freeway.

The service techs and entire service team at my local dealership are great to work with, I take my Grand Cheerokee Overland (which is now my daughters car) there for service, but when I asked about the TSB, the tech said he checked my VIN and it's not subject to the bulletin.

Did I miss something when i read the TSB? I don't remember it saying anything about affected VINs. My Wrangler is a 2020 Sahara so I thought maybe it was already built with the parts (steering box) that dealers uses to fix this issue, but then I thought why would the steering still feel nervous and inaccurate?

I want to give the service dept at this dealership the benefit of the doubt, and think maybe they just don't understand the bulletin, so I thought I'd ask for your opinion.

Am I misunderstanding the bulletin?

Thanks in advance,
G
There is no VIN requirement; the TSB applies to 2018-2020 JL Wranglers. & 2020 Gladiators. Send us a message and we will start a case for you!

So I just called my dealership I have a driveablity test on Wednesday for my Jeep to verify that I am having the steering problem. But they are already blaming my lift . I mean, if I say that I am having the issue, why the work around?
Please keep us updated on how your appointment goes! We are happy to provide assistance if needed.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

LadyJeeper

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Teacher
I guess I will go see what my dealer says tomorrow. I know not many have had this done yet, but has the TSB made anyone's Jeep drive worse? Mine is tolerable now, just is not fun on narrow roads.
Iā€™ve got an appointment to elevauate my steering tomorrow too. It has become tolerable because I have acclimatized myself to constantly making small adjustments while I drive.

Narrow roads and the fast lane on highways make me nervous!

I have the same question as jdhunt0, Has anyoneā€™s repair made things worse?

Thanks!

Dano36

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon, 2016 Torch Red Corvette, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Whatever it takes.
Had mine replaced today and it helped a lot. I can now drive 70 with two fingers on the wheel. Zero dead spot. If you move the wheel at all the wheels move. I donā€™t think it can drive any better.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
...It has become tolerable because I have acclimatized myself to constantly making small adjustments while I drive. ...
I'm in the same boat; I can't even drive my wife's car anymore, I'm oversteering like crazy.

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
Parts ordered, I was told a few weeks.
I don't quite understand the write-up:
"Verified play in steering, raised vehicle, and verified steering components do not have play at this time. TSB 08-074-20 applies. Ordered Parts, no repairs performed at this time"
I would guess this refers to replacing the steering gear only.

Sponsored

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
perhaps jeepcares can answer this one.

what steps exactly would an vehicle owner do to start a the (pardon the pun) wheels in motion.

drove the much better halves jeep over the weekend. Yeah....this is in need of some serious help.

Marcin PL

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara 2.0T
Please send our team a message with your VIN, mileage, and dealer so that we can escalate a case for additional assistance with getting this completed.

There is no VIN requirement; the TSB applies to 2018-2020 JL Wranglers. & 2020 Gladiators. Send us a message and we will start a case for you!

Please keep us updated on how your appointment goes! We are happy to provide assistance if needed.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Hi Darlene,
Do You know when the JL/JLU steering issue will be fixed in European countries?
I can't see any outstanding campain or safety recall when I enter my VIN in official MOPAR website.

Marcin

JLUMich

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU EcoDiesel
They didnā€™t say exactly what is being replaced. The service bulletin says:

ā€œThis bulletin involves replacing the steering gear and updating the Electric Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) software, if required.ā€

So steering gear? Maybe the Tie rod and drag link ?
has anyone chalked their Jeep before it went in to see what parts are replaced ?

I will ask what was replaced/done when I get it back.
*Update*
Dealer had the Jeep from Wednesday till Monday, finally got it back. It drove nice and tight, straight as an arrow, but the steering wheel was canted to the right. LOL!
Come on guys, anyway back it went to the dealer...now itā€™s 100%

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Parts ordered, I was told a few weeks.
I don't quite understand the write-up:
"Verified play in steering, raised vehicle, and verified steering components do not have play at this time. TSB 08-074-20 applies. Ordered Parts, no repairs performed at this time"
I would guess this refers to replacing the steering gear only.
Correct. They should verify the tie rod ends, drag link ends, and ball joints arenā€™t the problem, then order the steering gear. Or in my case, they order all of the aforementioned parts without telling or asking me and plan to hold my Jeep for weeks without addressing the steering gear.

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
*Update*
Dealer had the Jeep from Wednesday till Monday, finally got it back. It drove nice and tight, straight as an arrow, but the steering wheel was canted to the right. LOL!
Come on guys, anyway back it went to the dealer...now itā€™s 100%
Again...whatā€™s wrong with these people? Iā€™m afraid the pride in workmanship is dying in America. Walter
Sponsored