Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
He wanted me to bring it in at first, but I chatted a bit and I think he realized that I wasn't a bozo. He said he'd been trying to help another customer for four months without success and FCA sprung this on them out of the blue. He seemed just as irritated about FCA's lack of transparency.. like had they said "were working on a fix", he wouldn't have wasted so much time on it.
FCA said they “were working on a fix/solution” to me when I was fighting them on the issues with my ‘19. It does sound like their communication is poor.

My ‘20 steers great but I still want the new gear before it goes out if warranty.
Sponsored

BeerMeBruh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You've got 250 miles on it, get it documented ASAP, say it doesn't seem to drive like the ones you test drove, and it feels worse when it is hot. My dealer, who isn't even who i bought it from, replaced it immediately, at about 1k miles. Made a night and day difference. I really don't understand why dealers are refusing, its easy money and a happy customer.
I'm gonna have them install remote start in the next couple weeks so my plan is definitely to bring it to their attention when I schedule the appointment.

Alpha Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
What timing. I had my gearbox replaced with another AE box less than 2 weeks before FCA released this TSB. No change in the dead spot. My wife dropped it off again and told them there was no change and they already knew about this TSB and said they’d order parts and install it. Outstanding service. They ordered the new steering gear on 8/17 and it came in on 8/19. Getting it installed next Thursday. Can’t wait.

I was about to install the Synergy track bar brace but will hold off now.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I was one of the guys that said Jeep steered just fine, had it since Jan. 2019, never had a problem with it UNTIL~
The last month w/ temps over 100 on a regular basis had several instances on longer drives where the wheel slop just went crazy.

On short drives, and drives w/ temps 85 or less I might have a 1/2" slop at the wheel, during these hot episodes that slop went to 3" give or take. And owning Jeeps in the past I know there's going to be inherent play in the steering. During these hot incidents it was like I was driving a fresh jeep w/ tight steering joints, then in a rather sudden fashion it felt like the Jeep had 150k miles on it w/ tired joints from the steering knuckles in. The main problem I had w/ all of this was the inconsistent behavior of the steering, as it sometimes seemed to come out of nowhere :(

So glad the dealer stepped up & agreed to get the ball rolling. Hope everyone here w/ similar issues is able to get their dealer to step up too!

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I was one of the guys that said Jeep steered just fine, had it since Jan. 2019, never had a problem with it UNTIL~
The last month w/ temps over 100 on a regular basis had several instances on longer drives where the wheel slop just went crazy.

On short drives, and drives w/ temps 85 or less I might have a 1/2" slop at the wheel, during these hot episodes that slop went to 3" give or take. And owning Jeeps in the past I know there's going to be inherent play in the steering. During these hot incidents it was like I was driving a fresh jeep w/ tight steering joints, then in a rather sudden fashion it felt like the Jeep had 150k miles on it w/ tired joints from the steering knuckles in. The main problem I had w/ all of this was the inconsistent behavior of the steering, as it sometimes seemed to come out of nowhere :(

So glad the dealer stepped up & agreed to get the ball rolling. Hope everyone here w/ similar issues is able to get their dealer to step up too!

Going to dealer number 2. Dealer No 1 failed and did a low speed 6 minute test drive in parking lots and up to 70 kmh for a few seconds on smooth city roads. Refused to do the TSB. Viewed the video after returning home. Reported them to FCA.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I just picked my JLU up from the dealer after dropping it off this morning for the TSB. I took it for a test drive on the highway and local streets. As much as I want to say the dead space is gone, it's not. There is still half an inch or so of play, but the overall steering is much tighter and more responsive. The power steering feels more pronounced. It's definitely better and doesn't feel like it's hard to control and is much easier to keep in the lane. Almost as if it's staying in the lane on its own without having to saw at the wheel to keep it in place (although I'd say the Yeti track bar helped improve 80-90% of that issue on mine).

Also, I was telling my advisor that people on the forums are saying that their dealers are not willing to do the steering box TSB and his exact words were "Why? We get paid for the install" I assume the hourly rate is significantly less than what they would charge a customer for unwarranted work, but the idea is to get a dealer that pumps out high volume of service and has the capacity to take on a vehicle under warranty.

I will report back in a few days to update how the steering feels.

Good luck to everyone!
So then go to a high volume dealer to better one’s odds of a “Yes”?

Rubicon20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Brought mine in this morning for an “inspection”, and service manager came back to tell me parts have been ordered for this TSB, and they hope to get them in about 30 days. Hopefully sooner but am happy i didn’t need to argue it., which I was afraid of.

BeerMeBruh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just called my dealer to schedule an appointment. Immediately got the "it's a Wrangler, it's normal" lecture .... Like yeah I know it's not a freaking Honda Civic and it's gonna be a little rough but not to the point it will change lanes on its own at a whopping 300 miles on the odometer

Anyway, appointment is a week out so hopefully they just replace it instead of playing games but who knows, it is a stealership after all. If they start playing games I'll just go to another so whatever.

znakos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I just picked my JLU up from the dealer after dropping it off this morning for the TSB. I took it for a test drive on the highway and local streets. As much as I want to say the dead space is gone, it's not. There is still half an inch or so of play, but the overall steering is much tighter and more responsive. The power steering feels more pronounced. It's definitely better and doesn't feel like it's hard to control and is much easier to keep in the lane. Almost as if it's staying in the lane on its own without having to saw at the wheel to keep it in place (although I'd say the Yeti track bar helped improve 80-90% of that issue on mine).

Also, I was telling my advisor that people on the forums are saying that their dealers are not willing to do the steering box TSB and his exact words were "Why? We get paid for the install" I assume the hourly rate is significantly less than what they would charge a customer for unwarranted work, but the idea is to get a dealer that pumps out high volume of service and has the capacity to take on a vehicle under warranty.

I will report back in a few days to update how the steering feels.

Good luck to everyone!
I just put another 75 miles on it since having the TSB performed. The dead space that remains is irrelevant, as in my opinion, it's only there when shaking the wheel left and right rapidly and at low speeds. On the highway it is tight and responsive, doesn't wander, and when changing lanes it doesn't drift 3 lanes over.

This is 100% the fix! Anyone waiting, there's no need to wait. Go get it done. Night and day difference.

jdpatt12

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon 2019 Jeep Cherokee , 2015 ford mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
I went to my dealer today with a copy of the Tsb to see if my 2018 jlur could get the work done. The advisor ordered the parts with a appointment to follow when the parts arrive. So I will update once the work is done.

Sponsored

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
****** Attention: Those who upgrade to the new steering box, make sure they also replace the one-time use bolt that connects the steering column to the steering box. If they re-use the same bolt, it can come loose per the tech manual. The part number is 6506950AA which is $3.50. **********
Good info ... I am hoping this would show on the parts list, replacement parts sheet once they finish, correct??

znakos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
For those who already have the new steering box, did they also replace the one-time use bolt that connects the steering column to the steering box?

****** Attention: Those who upgrade to the new steering box, make sure they also replace the one-time use bolt that connects the steering column to the steering box. If they re-use the same bolt, it can come loose per the tech manual. The part number is 6506950AA which is $3.50. **********

onetimebolt.png
Yes, this part is on my parts list receipt. It is referred to as the hex flange bolt.