Sponsored

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
Wish I had a basis for comparison. This JLUR is my first Jeep, and I can't tell what really is loose steering and what isn't.

Sometimes it pulls to the left, sometimes right, sometimes straight. I always figured it was just the road camber. Other times I was fighting high winds so it didn't seem unusual.

They're replacing my master cylinder sometime soon. Maybe I should bring it up.
Sponsored

SimpleAce

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Wish I had a basis for comparison. This JLUR is my first Jeep, and I can't tell what really is loose steering and what isn't.

Sometimes it pulls to the left, sometimes right, sometimes straight. I always figured it was just the road camber. Other times I was fighting high winds so it didn't seem unusual.

They're replacing my master cylinder sometime soon. Maybe I should bring it up.
I would just go in and tell them you have some pull and get it replaced. Better than having issues down the road.

smarshall

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
This is great to hear, Before the TSB hit the streets I got a call from my dealer and was given a advanced heads up this was coming. I will do it, but am waiting a little bit to see how others reaction is, so far the positive responses are encouraging.

If this is fact the real deal, I publicly thank Jeep for listening to the hundreds of people that have issues and for resolving the issue. It has been a long road for me to get where I am now and if this pushes it to 100% (or at least as good as my JK) I'll be thrilled.

Like another posted mentioned, I am curious how they will react to the fact that I have installed the sector shaft brace and they will need to remove that and reinstall it (or give it back to me).

I dont have the major issues like I did before, and with this weeks castor adjustment up to 5.6 I don't really have too much of a bitch but still want to get it to 100% if this is available.

Has anyone with a sector shaft brace and upgraded track bar/stabilizer gotten any dealer feedback yet ?

I might stop up there next week and discuss it with the service writer that has over the past 2 yrs eased up his Jeep attitude and become a pretty good ally.

I dropped mine at the dealer this morning for the diagnosis. When I spoke to the SA I made it very clear that I was not happy with the steering since the day I picked it up. I told him about the TSB upfront and mentioned that I was so unhappy with it that I attempted to remedy it with aftermarket upgrades, those being the Synergy track bar and sector shaft brace which did help with the wandering but not so much with the +1" of play in the wheel. After waiting about 2 hours a different SA(my original SA got tied up in something else) met with me and told me they have ordered the parts and I have an appointment to install on Tuesday. Yay!

I asked at the time if I would have to have the sector shaft brace removed prior to coming in and he stated that they would remove it before they start the install and were familiar with it. Sweet! I went happily out to my Jeep and noticed that they didn't even drive it. It was in the same spot and had the same mileage when I parked it. Hmm. The service dept was pretty slammed this morning so I'm guessing they did the research and just green lighted the install. Overall I'm pretty happy with my dealership. They also handled the V41 recall and replaced my failed crash avoidance sensor behind the mirror. So far I have nothing to complain about.

znakos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I just picked my JLU up from the dealer after dropping it off this morning for the TSB. I took it for a test drive on the highway and local streets. As much as I want to say the dead space is gone, it's not. There is still half an inch or so of play, but the overall steering is much tighter and more responsive. The power steering feels more pronounced. It's definitely better and doesn't feel like it's hard to control and is much easier to keep in the lane. Almost as if it's staying in the lane on its own without having to saw at the wheel to keep it in place (although I'd say the Yeti track bar helped improve 80-90% of that issue on mine).

Also, I was telling my advisor that people on the forums are saying that their dealers are not willing to do the steering box TSB and his exact words were "Why? We get paid for the install" I assume the hourly rate is significantly less than what they would charge a customer for unwarranted work, but the idea is to get a dealer that pumps out high volume of service and has the capacity to take on a vehicle under warranty.

I will report back in a few days to update how the steering feels.

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2020 JLUW
I just picked my JLU up from the dealer after dropping it off this morning for the TSB. I took it for a test drive on the highway and local streets. As much as I want to say the dead space is gone, it's not. There is still half an inch or so of play, but the overall steering is much tighter and more responsive. The power steering feels more pronounced. It's definitely better and doesn't feel like it's hard to control and is much easier to keep in the lane. Almost as if it's staying in the lane on its own without having to saw at the wheel to keep it in place (although I'd say the Yeti track bar helped improve 80-90% of that issue on mine).

Also, I was telling my advisor that people on the forums are saying that their dealers are not willing to do the steering box TSB and his exact words were "Why? We get paid for the install" I assume the hourly rate is significantly less than what they would charge a customer for unwarranted work, but the idea is to get a dealer that pumps out high volume of service and has the capacity to take on a vehicle under warranty.

I will report back in a few days to update how the steering feels.

Good luck to everyone!
I’d take a half in dead space any day. That’s a great improvement on what a lot experience currently.
Heck, my first car was a 1973 Dodge Dart Swinger. You could move the steering wheel from nearly 10 to 2 with no movement of the wheels!

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Called my local dealer service dept today. They were aware of the TSB and I wasn't the first one to need it; he got the ball rolling for me on ordering the parts. Lithia CDJR in Eugene, OR; they've always been pretty good to us. I don't think my dead spot is as bad as others have reported here, but it does take some white knuckle attention on multilane freeways. So glad this will hopefully be fixed.

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Called my local dealer service dept today. They were aware of the TSB and I wasn't the first one to need it; he got the ball rolling for me on ordering the parts. Lithia CDJR in Eugene, OR; they've always been pretty good to us. I don't think my dead spot is as bad as others have reported here, but it does take some white knuckle attention on multilane freeways. So glad this will hopefully be fixed.
All you did was call? they didn't even diagnose?
I can't find Dealers in NY who's willing to perform the TSB..

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
There seems to be some dealers adamant on diagnosing but the tsb says to do the repair if customer complains. I don’t understand why some dealers are being hard about this.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I would take the TSB to the dealer and yellow highlight the last line of pg 1.
"If the customer describes the symptoms/condition listed above, perform the Repair Procedure"
This should be clear enough, eliminating extended tech evaluations.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
We did take the TSB to the dealer last Monday. We underlined that sentence. We repeated it verbally. The dealer took our Wrangler for a test drive and refused to fix it. Said our Wrangler was the same as another they had in stock.

(Turns out their test drive is on smooth city streets, last 6 minutes and highest speed was 70 KMH. They could have learned as much taking it through a car wash and we would have had a clean jeep.)

Sponsored

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
@JeepCares I just sent you a PM about my wandering and pulling steering on my brand new Jeep. I can already tell my Southern California dealer is not gonna be fun to deal with and anything and everything you can do to expediat the process would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2020 JLUW
I would take the TSB to the dealer and yellow highlight the last line of pg 1.
"If the customer describes the symptoms/condition listed above, perform the Repair Procedure"
This should be clear enough, eliminating extended tech evaluations.
This was exactly what I did when they mentioned needing to test drive to verify.
I slid him the TSB and politely yet assertively stated “the TSB states to do the repair if the customer says they have the symptoms.”

My parts are on order and awaiting delivery.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
He wanted me to bring it in at first, but I chatted a bit and I think he realized that I wasn't a bozo. He said he'd been trying to help another customer for four months without success and FCA sprung this on them out of the blue. He seemed just as irritated about FCA's lack of transparency.. like had they said "were working on a fix", he wouldn't have wasted so much time on it.

Cl2775

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep JLUR, 2015 Jk
I dropped mine at the dealer this morning for the diagnosis. When I spoke to the SA I made it very clear that I was not happy with the steering since the day I picked it up. I told him about the TSB upfront and mentioned that I was so unhappy with it that I attempted to remedy it with aftermarket upgrades, those being the Synergy track bar and sector shaft brace which did help with the wandering but not so much with the +1" of play in the wheel. After waiting about 2 hours a different SA(my original SA got tied up in something else) met with me and told me they have ordered the parts and I have an appointment to install on Tuesday. Yay!

I asked at the time if I would have to have the sector shaft brace removed prior to coming in and he stated that they would remove it before they start the install and were familiar with it. Sweet! I went happily out to my Jeep and noticed that they didn't even drive it. It was in the same spot and had the same mileage when I parked it. Hmm. The service dept was pretty slammed this morning so I'm guessing they did the research and just green lighted the install. Overall I'm pretty happy with my dealership. They also handled the V41 recall and replaced my failed crash avoidance sensor behind the mirror. So far I have nothing to complain about.
Did they leave your Synergy sector shaft brace off or did they put it back on?

smarshall

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Did they leave your Synergy sector shaft brace off or did they put it back on?
I go in Tuesday to get it installed but I don't expect or want them to put it back on. If it fixes my issues I will leave it off.
Sponsored