Sponsored

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Greaaattttttt. im at 36,110 miles and dealer says I've got to pay out of pocket. I should ask FCA to reimburse me of the $1200 I've spent so far to try and fix this.
Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Greaaattttttt. im at 36,110 miles and dealer says I've got to pay out of pocket. I should ask FCA to reimburse me of the $1200 I've spent so far to try and fix this.

Bull. Contact FCA, send them copies of steering complaints during warranty and they WILL take care of it for you. Might look for another dealer as well, that is purely crappy service...

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Wow, I really hope this is finally a proper solution to the problem that has been frustrating some JL owners for years. I'll check in again once more owners have the bulletin performed.

I had basically written off the Wrangler (perhaps unfairly) due to concerns over the steering.

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
Hello Darlene I have been fighting this loose and wandering problem since May 26, 2018, the day i took delivery of my JL 2 door. I have probably written over 200 posts trying to get Jeep’s attention for this safety issue. I was told nearly 2 years ago by Steve Stander to take my car to a different dealer which i did. That dealer has worked with me and replaced a stabilizer and later a track bar. The track bar seemed to help but did not fix the problem. After taking a 400 mile trip with the Wrangler last November, after both fixes, I told my wife how difficult the jeep still was to keep in the lane. I said I don’t think we can safely take this Jeep on any more trips and will only use it locally. I bought the vehicle to be used for anywhere i wanted to drive. And yesterday when i stopped at my local dealer, they told me it would take 2 more appointments to get it resolved. First one to determine if it needed the new TSB and, if yes, then a follow up to have the TSB installed. Why do i have to go through this game over and over again? My Jeep wanders and has excessive play in the steering from the date of delivery til today and forever if they don’t do this TSB. I called Jeep Cares last night and got no satisfaction. I’m 75 years old and so weary of all this! Please actually help me. Thanks in advance.
If Jeep really cares they would be issuing a recall on all wranglers sold and replace these junk steering boxes. I have wanted to own a Jeep for a very long time and finally bought one when I retired. I have been doing extensive research through the years and I can tell you that I have much more knowledge than the average Dealership and mechanics employed. I have installed the track bar brace and it made a huge difference but when the steering fluid and steering box gets warm the dead spot and drifting becomes more pronounced. It’s really to bad that we all have to go through this known problem. Hopefully the NHTSA will take some action. Jeep should really step it up because Ford is coming straight at you Jeep. BRONCO

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Why don't they just make it a recall and be done with it???
Well if you ask why FCA hated money? Same like every corporation, they won't do it unless they absolutely have to.

In this case, steering is a subjective thing, and unless a mass number of Jeep had or project to have accidents due to steering, they will just do a TSB.

Sponsored

AgentWolf

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I brought my JL in today after bringing it in two times prior for sloppy steering. Kept getting the "it's a jeep" from the dealer. I brought in the TSB and they still refused to do work until they test drove it and verified it was sloppy enough. I pointed out that the TSB did not call for a test drive and "customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Repair Procedure" but that did not change anything. I am prepared to get the "it's a jeep" reply again. For a vehicle that costs 50k+ the service is terrible considering what I would receive if I paid the same at Mercedes or BMW. Hell my loaner has crank windows and you got to move the mirrors with your finger.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Bull. Contact FCA, send them copies of steering complaints during warranty and they WILL take care of it for you. Might look for another dealer as well, that is purely crappy service...
I'm screwed there haha I just tried to fix after seeing all the problems other owners have had.

jackgraves7

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Well after waiting at the dealer for 5 hours they said since I’m the first one theyve ever done they’re taking their time and the software update after the install would take a while. It should be complete either tonight or first thing tomorrow and I will keep you updated on the improvements.
Just picked up my jeep after they replaced the steering box and updated the software. Here are my findings:

Before I could turn the wheel about 10 degrees either way with zero feedback in the steering. Now, there is constant feedback with no play in the wheel. When you wiggle the steering wheel the car wiggles with it.

Steering still feels loose, meaning it doesn't magically drive like a sports car after this fix. Keep in mind this is still a Jeep.

All in all the dead spot is completely gone. For those of you in the Raleigh, NC area I went to Autopark Jeep in Cary/Apex. They were great and had the parts in stock.

Last edited:

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I brought my JL in today after bringing it in two times prior for sloppy steering. Kept getting the "it's a jeep" from the dealer. I brought in the TSB and they still refused to do work until they test drove it and verified it was sloppy enough. I pointed out that the TSB did not call for a test drive and "customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Repair Procedure" but that did not change anything. I am prepared to get the "it's a jeep" reply again. For a vehicle that costs 50k+ the service is terrible considering what I would receive if I paid the same at Mercedes or BMW. Hell my loaner has crank windows and you got to move the mirrors with your finger.
I called four dealers today, three of them said same thing that it will require a ride with foreman and jeeps have loose steering, they pushed the meeting's out to last week of September to the first week of October. The fourth dealer has me setup for drop off on Monday morning.

Sponsored

Simann

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I'm at 35,500 miles. The dealer i bought it from installed the AEV lift a month or so ago. Wondering how they will respond to this TSB? I still have that wander in the steering that it had before the lift. The new damper definitely helped take care of the "death wobble" they were able to reproduce....hmmm. I'm hoping they will honor the TSB and fix it even though its less than 1,000 miles outside of the B2B warranty.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Ill find out on friday how mine goes, im over mileage, however ive already had the steeringbox relaced before for the same issue, so should still be a warranty item

AgentWolf

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I called four dealers today, three of them said same thing that it will require a ride with foreman and jeeps have loose steering, they pushed the meeting's out to last week of September to the first week of October. The fourth dealer has me setup for drop off on Monday morning.
Just got a call back, they said they test drove it and again found it to be driving fine. Which is baffling to me considering 3-4 in of play in the steering wheel. Luckily the advisor was willing to “throw the part at it” to see if it does anything. He said parts are one day out. So I think it’s going to get replaced but the advisor seemed pretty adamant that if this doesn’t fix it then there’s nothing we can do anymore.

powelld353

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
Occupation
General idiot, know nothing
Vehicle Showcase
Ok folks, after much blood sweat and tears with this steering issue for almost a year and a half I can say that this new steering box does fix the issue. Just got it back from the dealer and drove it home on the expressway and it it drove great. Much less play, a tiny bit but to be expected on a solid axle Wrangler and was less than 1/2 inch total travel where before it could get to 2 inches in warm weather, no wander and better feel. No see-sawing back and forth just to stay in my lane. Thank you FCA for finally coming up with THE fix.