First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
i’m mostly curious to see if the new gear box is steel or if they stayed with the same design as the past 3 aluminum series.
before i even consider changing anything i would want to hear what others experience and see if this is even worth
doing.
Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Mike, I am not sure that it’s entirely true that if your warranty has expired that this repair is not covered.....

IF you have been to the dealer DURING the warranty period complaining of “wandering and pulling” and this information has been documented (you likely have the paperwork from a service visit), I think that this repair may well be covered under warranty. I seem to recall reading about this very situation and I also recall that in cases like this, it IS covered under warranty. That said, I am not an attorney and have zero actual expertise here.

that said, if you have not complained about wandering and pulling during your warranty period and have not brought it in for same, certainly, the warranty has expired.

odd that in the estimate there is no mention of the software update which is a important part of the bulletin.

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
Wasted service appointment today. Took the t.s.b. in and gave it to them. Have complained about dead spot, steering, and pulling from first day. They had it all day. Said it's fine.
As an old friend of mine used to say...you can’t deal with idiots.

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
I am shocked that this is the case, but my dealer ordered the part for me without even coming in. So I can confirm this is happening without an in person visit. More info: I have had it in once before for steering, and my jeep is a little over 1 yr old with 9k miles.

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
I can't decide if I should go make an appointment so the dealer can get the parts coming or wait and see how the "fix" goes for others first.

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I can't decide if I should go make an appointment so the dealer can get the parts coming or wait and see how the "fix" goes for others first.
Might be a good idea to wait. Those getting the first few batches of a newly designed steering box could be beta testers. Those getting later steering boxes are benefiting from the assembly process getting fined tune. The box the old steering boxes are shipped insay made in China. It will be interesting to see what the shipping box for the new steering boxes have on them. China again? Mexico? USA?

JavaRunner

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
Supposedly the parts arrived at my dealer this morning. I have this thing called work, so i wont be able to get the Jeep back till tonight, but fingers crossed. I'll also see if I can try to get a few pics of the new box.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
This thread has grone quite long and I've scrolled back through 5 pages and still can't find the TSB. Could someone please post it or a link to it so I can print it out and take it with me? Thanks!

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase

jackgraves7

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
At the dealer now, they are installing the steering box now and it should be done in 2 hours. They said when the TSB came out they were sent only one and so I was able to be first in line.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
Thanks! Interesting how one of the posts refers to having an alignment done but nowhere in the TSB does it talk about an alignment.
That was probably my post because that's what the service rep told me had to be done as part of their inspection process;

1) Check steering components and front suspension to make sure nothing is loose
2) Test drive vehicle to check for wander/pull
3) Rotate tires to make sure that's not causing the issue
4) Test drive vehicle again after tire rotation
5) Check alignment on the alignment rack to make sure everything is within specs

mike49107

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
odd that in the estimate there is no mention of the software update which is a important part of the bulletin.
I just received a text from the service manager that the software update would be an additional $73.

EngenZerO

First Name
Ozzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Moab
I am shocked that this is the case, but my dealer ordered the part for me without even coming in. So I can confirm this is happening without an in person visit. More info: I have had it in once before for steering, and my jeep is a little over 1 yr old with 9k miles.
Same. My parts should be arriving in 3-5 days based in the email I received this morning from my dealership. Granted I have a great working relationship with their service director and worked with him directly with any matter.

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
My parts are supposed to be in tomorrow. Will be dropping it off first thing.
Sponsored