Sponsored

18BlackJLRU

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4XE Rubicon
I went to the dealer last week for oil change and talked to the service manager about the steering issue was still there (after installing the new Track Bar last year on TSB 02-003-19) and that there was no point in changing the steering box... I want to wait for the permanent fix instead.

I just called my Service manager to inform him about this new TSB 08-074-20... he told me that he would look into it and will be getting back to me.

jhern88

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRANGLER SPORT JL 4 DOORS V6
I fought steering for a long time with Jeep and got it decent with new box and software update and gave up. Learned to just put up with it. I haven’t had any communication about steering for over 9 months and got a call out of nowhere from Jeep to notify me about updated parts. Supposed to be setting things up with dealer to get new parts. Hope this is the fix!
Did the dealer change the steering gearbox and do a software update?

Vezfly

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I fought steering for a long time with Jeep and got it decent with new box and software update and gave up. Learned to just put up with it. I haven’t had any communication about steering for over 9 months and got a call out of nowhere from Jeep to notify me about updated parts. Supposed to be setting things up with dealer to get new parts. Hope this is the fix!
Who called you, Dealer or Jeep?

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Parts for this TSB won’t be available until mid September. I can almost guarantee I will be one of the first ones in the country to do this. No matter what your dealer is telling you there isn’t even an option to order the parts right now because they are on hold.
Impressive...you must be VIP:bandit:

Sponsored

DDT2

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sport
Occupation
U.S. Army
Went to the dealership to have the new TSB actioned for my loose steering issue. I was told that because I had my tire pressure set too low (30psi) and because I was still using the stock steering stabilizer on a lifted jeep that that's why my steering was "loose". Dealership inflated my tires to 38psi and told me my jeep didn't have any steering issues. Also, If I felt it was still loose that I should buy a fox steering stabilizer. I brought up the new TSB to address this and they wouldn't action the new TSB because apparently I don't have loose steering and that it drives like it should. This isn't the first time I have brought the jeep in for this issue.

I don't know what is more annoying, being told I don't have loose steering (again) or the dealership ignoring the existence of the TSB for this issue. Anyone else still getting the run around from dealerships?
@JeepCares

Forestdawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6 Speed
My 2020 tends to wonder but its manageable. I'm glad they finally issued a fix.

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
My 2020 tends to wonder but its manageable. I'm glad they finally issued a fix.
we'll see. they've been thru what.. 4 revisions of the current box.
and if it does work, now good luck finding a dealer that admits your jeep actually needs it.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Went for my last free Jeep wave oil change yesterday, brought up the TSB steering box. They tested my Jeep and determined it needed a new steering box. They have ordered the part and will notify me when it comes in. It had about a 1-1.5 inch play in the steering.
What did they “test” to determine this?

test drive or something else?

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
we'll see. they've been thru what.. 4 revisions of the current box.
and if it does work, now good luck finding a dealer that admits your jeep actually needs it.

Yes, revisions...
This is an all new steering gearbox that does not use an aluminum housing, (steel or iron-somewhat vague on material description) uses different mounting bolts and hopefully will solve all gearbox related issues!

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Yes, revisions...
This is an all new steering gearbox that does not use an aluminum housing, (steel or iron-somewhat vague on material description) uses different mounting bolts and hopefully will solve all gearbox related issues!
Yes. And, I hope that you are correct. I truly hope that it fixes everyone’s issue.

but the point remains....... the engineers at Jeep who designed the first ”gen 1” box, then a second, and third box iteration may well be the same folks who have now completely redesigned this brand new box. It’s again, a gen 1 box of a new design.

at some point, they will get it right and I hope that this is it. But, nothing in the history of the JLs with steering issues indicates that the engineers have got it right the first time.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Ooh this TSB seems promising. I always like a challenge so it’ll be fun trying to get my dealer to even acknowledge it. When i go for my 4th oil change imma bring this up like I did for the track bar.

Birchrun

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I had my Jeep in for the manual clutch recall and I happened to see this thread/update before dropping off the Jeep.

I told them about my consistent steering challenges and by EOD they said they had put in the order for the replacement parts without any resistance.

They were eager to help get this sorted out.
Sponsored