First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Yes, I read that too. So why is mine fine and others (which are exactly the same baring a manufacturing defect) not fine? Why are some JL’s in Arizona fine and others not?

i don’t get it.
I'm with you Dave. I have 2 JL's and neither have had any steering issues. I've driven my Rubicon at 80 miles an hour and it tracks as true as my Challenger. No pulling, no wandering, no wobble or shake.

Both of mine are early built 2018s.

Are there more than one supplier of these steering boxes, perhaps? Maybe that's the true issue?

Engine Guy

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
My 2020 JLUR arrived at the dealer today, wonder if it has the new one...
I'd ask them what part number it has on the box... If you need the new box you want to get in line as soon as possible.

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I'm with you Dave. I have 2 JL's and neither have had any steering issues. I've driven my Rubicon at 80 miles an hour and it tracks as true as my Challenger. No pulling, no wandering, no wobble or shake.

Are there more than one supplier of these steering boxes, perhaps? Maybe that's the true issue?
you are lucky. There are a few threads on this forum that started back in 2018 that are 1000s of post long about this issue. I sure hope this is the final fix to my issues.

Sponsored

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca

I think its the manufacturing variability in the original part that causes the wide range of differences. Could be different suppliers or factories. I would hope FCA QA would have good specs that would weed out the bad ones. But apparently the slop tolerance is quite high. And FCA finally gave up on the original part. Hopefully they learned their lesson.

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I called my dealer today. Described the issues I was having and he replied it's how Jeeps drive..... I told him about the bulletin. Taking it Monday for them to inspect. See what happens. I was about a week away from ordering a PSC but if I can get this and save $3k and it actually works I'll be happy.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Well this is awkward...last time I was at the dealer service department I called them “fucking retards” in a very loud voice. And there may have been pointing. I didn’t expect to be coming back.

Guess I’ll be bringing donuts whence I return. Haha. They’re still fucking retards though.

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I called my dealer today. Described the issues I was having and he replied it's how Jeeps drive..... I told him about the bulletin. Taking it Monday for them to inspect. See what happens. I was about a week away from ordering a PSC but if I can get this and save $3k and it actually works I'll be happy.
Im doing the exact same plan. Taking ine in Monday. Please go ahead and gie Jeep Cares a private message to help substantiate your claim.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Well this is awkward...last time I was at the dealer service department I called them “fucking retards” in a very loud voice. And there may have been pointing. I didn’t expect to be coming back.

Guess I’ll be bringing donuts whence I return. Haha. They’re still fucking retards though.
Send the wife, preferably with donuts and a tight t-shirt. Tell her high beams should be on if you know what I mean.

crazyjas

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392

Freakin hilarious, just stopped crying from laughing so hard - been there, done that. . .

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I'm scheduled for this weekend, hopefully third time's the charm. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it went.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
I have a 2018 JLU. The steering is horrid. I've owned 11 solid front axle vehicles (which includes 3 semi tractors) and the Jeep is the simply the worst as far as steering is concerned.

For whatever reason, Jeep decided to put an electronic/hydraulic steering system in the JLs. It seems there's a PCU flash that can minimize the wander, but why isn't that a recall? Why isn't that being done on all 2019 and 2020s? When looking at the JKs and JLs, there is so little design, R&D, and manufacturing expense involved, you'd think they would build a near-perfect vehicle for $40,000 to $60,000. The huge profit margins on Wranglers is supporting the entire brand.

They must not have done any testing or they tested the system when they were drunk. Don't know, but in my experience, this is the worst steering vehicle I have ever owned. It's dangerous and inexcusable. The entire SR-71 Blackbird was designed by hand on drafting paper. You'd think with today's super computers and advanced engineering CAD they would at least get the steering right.
My JLUR replaced my JKUS. It doesn't handle better and doesn't handle worse as far as solid axle stuff goes.

The electro assisted steering was to make the JL more mall friendly. That's the propaganda they pushed and people gargled and swallowed... "wow the JL' s far superior to the JK" they said... why? "Android auto." (Personally I haven't touched that shit because I know how these systems are built).

As for the JLs design... I don't think the issues people report are entirely due to design but show up because of poor manufacturing quality control and possibly cheap components (aux batteries, etc.). And that possibly could have been mitigated by better design choices... so yes.

With the competition finally heating up, the JM Wrangler will get its act together if FCA is still in business. Expect grunty power train choices and hopefully simpler or modular design. For the mall-crawlers, there might even be an IFS option.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
The original steering boxes were made in China...Their slogan must have been:

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 5.04.39 PM

Translation: Drives fine from over here...
Sponsored

Last edited: