YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I just called my service department and the rep I spoke with said the parts are not yet available and couldn’t give a date, which seems odd given it seems other dealers are giving out Sept dates.

He made an appointment to follow up with me next week, so we’ll see. He said he’d order them for me as soon as they were available.

I flat out asked him if this was a new steering box and he said no, it’s just the gear. So I don’t know what the difference would be, if there even is one, or if he was just reading verbatim off the TSB.
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Ugh, too bad for those with expired warranties (like myself)... it would be nice if this got turned into a recall.
If you reported the problem before the warranty expired you may have a chance. I have a neighbor who just got a free D44 put on his JK 3 years out of warranty because it had a history of blowing seals.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
If you reported the problem before the warranty expired you may have a chance. I have a neighbor who just got a free D44 put on his JK 3 years out of warranty because it had a history of blowing seals.
i think that this is generally true. If and owner has brought your Jeep in once or twice with complaints about the steering and the dealer could not/did not resolve AND, the owner has that documentation, I think that there is a strong chance that the fix will be covered under the now expired warranty.

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Ugh, too bad for those with expired warranties (like myself)... it would be nice if this got turned into a recall.
I'm actually curious if someone can find the cost of the repairs. I really don't want to uninstall my steer smarts setup if the price is not horrible. I thought I saw on the bulletin that the time chargable was less than an hour, or did I read that wrong?

If is really is a new "steering gear" and a software update, then maybe its affordable for those out of warranty or that would just rather pay for it (like me). time has value too. And so does my sanity.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so I was a little off... but its 1.9 hours for a non-diesel. curious what the parts are. Even if its a whole steering box, that's less than $1000, right? It would take me a day to take my steer smarts stuff off and get back to stock. then dicking around with the dealer for a couple weeks. then a whole day to re-install my far superior steer smarts components.

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I'm actually curious if someone can find the cost of the repairs. I really don't want to uninstall my steer smarts setup if the price is not horrible. I thought I saw on the bulletin that the time chargable was less than an hour, or did I read that wrong?

If is really is a new "steering gear" and a software update, then maybe its affordable for those out of warranty or that would just rather pay for it (like me). time has value too. And so does my sanity.
Yeah, I'm debating the same. I have a fully stock JLR but was going to toss the RK lift on this weekend. If the part is $379 and it's a fast process to swap the box I may just go ahead and buy the part myself later on.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I'm debating the same. I have a fully stock JLR but was going to toss the RK lift on this weekend. If the part is $379 and it's a fast process to swap the box I may just go ahead and buy the part myself later on.
right? I'd even pay them to do it if its less than 2 hours shop time. especially since it needs a software update. But that part number doesn't even come up anywhere yet. No clue what it costs. Or even what it is. If they can swap the whole gear box and flush the power steering in 1.9 hours, thats worth the shop labor rate to me. haha. Done and done.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Manual
Had a long convo with FCA this morning about the new steering gearbox replacement. The new gearbox is made of IRON rather than aluminum. This sounds like the fix we have needed. The guy from FCA was great and called me out of the blue. He preordered the part so that it would be ready when I dropped the car off. BIG WIN for FCA just when I had lost hope in them...
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 2EED2065-924F-48F3-AEA1-7C4406B2EBB3
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 58A1850C-0E97-4388-9DC6-C63D8DBD78D6

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

Yup, this is totally a DIY to remove/replace the steering box. Not a big job at all.

The only tricky part is the SW config side of things, to ensure the sales code is removed, new code added, and updated electric pump firmware. That can't be done by a none-FCA dealership.

Quigley

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2 door, 2018 Harley Limited 115th Anniversary Edition, 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel
I think someone hit it on the head in another thread when they said that the aluminum box is probably much more susceptible to heat inducing problems than steel, possibly the aluminum box is heating to a point that it's allowing some internally mounted component(s) too much play. One things for sure, Jeep will never tell us what caused the change.
Today it 98 here in Denver and my Rubi is doing the Hawaiian Hoola :turkey: at 65 on the freeway.
Yup, it definitely is temp related.
Sponsored