Stumeat

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Undecided
Vehicle Showcase
4 trips, dealer refuses to do the work. Been dealing with @JeepCares since the first visit. They are blaming the "oversized tires". (35"/12.5" KO2's). So mad at this point. I have about 3" of slop in my steering wheel.

While I'm happy for those who've gotten it fixed, it makes me more and more pissed as the days and service visits add up.
Sponsored

Hardybreed

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
4 trips, dealer refuses to do the work. Been dealing with @JeepCares since the first visit. They are blaming the "oversized tires". (35"/12.5" KO2's). So mad at this point. I have about 3" of slop in my steering wheel.

While I'm happy for those who've gotten it fixed, it makes me more and more pissed as the days and service visits add up.
That sucks. I have 37s and a 3.5 lift and they didnā€™t have any problems. I really thought they would. Jeep cares even called them after they approved it. I would see what JC says and why the dealer wonā€™t do it. BS!

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Try to find some cheap take offs on Craigslist. Would be cheaper and less frustrating than paying out of pocket to get the work done. Then sell the take offs after they are done.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer šŸ˜‚
Can't wait for the day I don't have to drive like this anymore
Don't even want to glance at my gps or I'll end up in the next lane or the wall

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 0000000D-0000-03C3-EFB9-F173C8102488_HD

looks like could be a little tough getting down in there.
I just used a long extension w/ a wobble adapter connected to my 3/8" torque wrench, very easy that way :)

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Did service order list parts? Mine listed exactly what was listed on the TSB doc in 1st post. Note the box to frame bolts is qnty 1 as it's a set of 4.
Yes, all the proper parts & quantities were correct, the bolt looked old on top and had fresh marks on both sides of the hex edges which tell me it was probably removed and reinstalled :(

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Try to find some cheap take offs on Craigslist. Would be cheaper and less frustrating than paying out of pocket to get the work done. Then sell the take offs after they are done.
Or find a buddy and borrow his wheels for a day or two......

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What was the steering symptom with this loose bolt?
There was no symptom, I just needed to verify that all the nuts & bolts involved in the TSB were at the proper torque. The pitman arm nut & track bar were good, the 4 steering box bolts and the I-shaft bolt weren't :(

And the I-shaft bolts specifically requires a new bolt used whenever it's been removed :headbang:

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
There was no symptom, I just needed to verify that all the nuts & bolts involved in the TSB were at the proper torque. The pitman arm nut & track bar were good, the 4 steering box bolts and the I-shaft bolt weren't :(

And the I-shaft bolts specifically requires a new bolt used whenever it's been removed :headbang:
Did the steering feel tighter after you tightened the loose bolts or no difference?

Sponsored

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR, 1967 Pontiac GTO, 2004 Silverado, 2014 Ram 2500
Here's an update on mine since taking it back after they replaced drag link and damper.

Tuesday after closing I went with my sister to look at Cherokees and my wife said I wish I had my key to your jeep I need my glasses out if it. I said I bet its unlocked let me check knowing how careless these places can be. Not only was my jeep sitting in the parking lot after hours unlocked but the key was sitting right in the center console.

Back to the wandering steering. Tuesday when I dropped it off the service advisor did a test drive with me and stated the wandering was caused by my oversize tires and was just the way jeeps ride. I told him my tires are the factory size and he acted like he didnā€™t believe me.

Wednesday a different service advisor calls and says now the shop foreman says the problem was likely due to my oversized tires and there was nothing that could be done to fix it. I stated that a shop foreman for a jeep dealership should know what size tires come on a Rubicon and if he doesnā€™t then he probably should not be a shop foreman. I also stated they should walk out to the sales lot and look at the factory Rubicons that all have the same exact size tire that mine has which is 285/70R17. Thursday morning the original service advisor called and said there was nothing wrong with it to come pick it up. When I picked it up I asked why two different people at the dealership stated the problem was caused by oversized tires just to say that there was not a problem the next day. You cannot sit there have two people acknowledge that the vehicle wanders at highway speeds and blame it on oversized tires that arenā€™t even oversized and then change your story to it doesnā€™t wander at highway speeds. I will not take it back to that dealership.

SimpleAce

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Got my jeep back yesterday after 2 days at the shop. When my girlfriend drove my jeep hated to drive it before the new steering box as she felt like she was all over the road. NOW she actually can drive it when she needs to and feels much safer. This steering box is way better. I can say highway speeds are the best now cause i dont constantly correct my steering. Hopefully jeep realizes this and makes a recall when they get enough stock to do so!

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR, 1967 Pontiac GTO, 2004 Silverado, 2014 Ram 2500
Got my jeep back yesterday after 2 days at the shop. When my girlfriend drove my jeep hated to drive it before the new steering box as she felt like she was all over the road. NOW she actually can drive it when she needs to and feels much safer. This steering box is way better. I can say highway speeds are the best now cause i dont constantly correct my steering. Hopefully jeep realizes this and makes a recall when they get enough stock to do so!
My daughter is this way about my jeep now. She drove it once and now will not drive it cause she skeered. She wanted one until she drove mine. :headbang:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Did the steering feel tighter after you tightened the loose bolts or no difference?
It seemed to make a difference, albeit slight when the box bolts were fully torqued down. Probably just knowing they were tightened properly made it "seem" better :)

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
It seemed to make a difference, albeit slight when the box bolts were fully torqued down. Probably just knowing they were tightened properly made it "seem" better :)
Picked mine up today. Same issue with bolts as @blnewt. Steering gear bolts maybe 40lbs, and I-Shaft maybe 20lbs. Everything else is fine (Sector shaft nut and Track Bar). Power steering fluid everywhere but they somewhat tried to clean (not terrible). So before believe or not my 2018 Sport S with Mopar lift and 37s drove pretty well. Got loose as heated up at highway speed but not too bad, especially after installing new SS adj track bar and Fox 2.0 ATS SS set in middle setting. Had very little dead spot. My read on the new box is definitely a different feel. As others have mentioned the steering feels heavy/stiffer. That is not a bad thing since there is NO dead spot now and it drives perfectly straight at any speed. Have a couple vids where I actually took my hands off the wheel from 65-80 on the highway and itā€™s windy today. It will definitely take getting use to the heavier feel, itā€™s like you can really feel the 37s now :). They did an alignment after and change my toe a bit. I show about 5.3 on caster now and debating installing the adj LCAs sitting in the garage since it actually is not floating/wandering at highway speed.

All in all I would say well worth getting TSB completed.

Time will tell how the gear box wears.

Also - my dealer didnā€™t test drive (I pushed back on leaving to do so) and they went back and forth for a week or so but then ordered parts. Of course someone got ahead of me in line so took about a month. Good part was they didnā€™t give me the ā€œitā€™s a Jeep thingā€ or ā€œyour lift and tires are a problemā€ so first experience with these guys is a good one.
Sponsored