Sponsored

jeep-v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0T
What does it cost?
I have read through most of this thread, can anyone tell the price of the steering gear box. My 2020 is so much better than my 2018 and don't need the fix yet. But after modifying it and wheeling it, it may me easier to change it out myself than trying to get it covered under warranty. It would be nice if Jeep could offer us the parts at cost.
Somebody posted the price of the parts (~$700) earlier and, if I remember correctly, how to get info, but the issue is - after replacement - technician should replace old service code with new one in FCA system and perform firmware update to match new steering box. You have to deal with dealer for this part. Just give dealer a shot, it may work if you are lucky.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
What does it cost?
I have read through most of this thread, can anyone tell the price of the steering gear box. My 2020 is so much better than my 2018 and don't need the fix yet. But after modifying it and wheeling it, it may me easier to change it out myself than trying to get it covered under warranty. It would be nice if Jeep could offer us the parts at cost.
There's a few posts going around with the total (with the 5 bolts) for under $600

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Somebody posted the price of the parts (~$700) earlier and, if I remember correctly, how to get info, but the issue is - after replacement - technician should replace old service code with new one in FCA system and perform firmware update to match new steering box. You have to deal with dealer for this part. Just give dealer a shot, it may work if you are lucky.
Without access to a Witech 2 scan tool and the appropriate software permissions, the parts are only going to get you so far.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
What does it cost?
list price on the box is $625, the bolts are $6.60 for the pack of 4 box bolts and $3.70 for the I-shaft. Labor is 1.9 as called out by the TSB, at a $125/hr labor rate you’re looking at about $950. That’s provided they don’t charge diagnosis, as you’re paying for it. The cost on the gearbox, lowest price you’ll find is about $430.

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2020 JLUW
Anyone know what the torque specs are on the new gearbox? I know the aluminum ones were 99 lb-ft, but those had bolts with nuts on them. The new ones thread into the gearbox.

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Anyone know what the torque specs are on the new gearbox? I know the aluminum ones were 99 lb-ft, but those had bolts with nuts on them. The new ones thread into the gearbox.
I haven't seen anything official. I took mine to the JK value of 87 since it looks to be a similar setup.

Edit....looks like my origianl google search returned 87....but looking deeper it is 70..
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/jeep-jk-wrangler-torque-settings#steergear

This is where my original 87 came from...
https://www.extremeterrain.com/wrangler-jk-suspension-torque-specs.html

Hmmm...not sure which is correct.

Last edited:

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
So I have been driving up North most weekends. The freeway gets curvy in several areas and I noticed I was driving this route with increased anxiety. I started noticing it was taking more effort to keep my Jeep in the lanes, though I tried to ignore it and told myself it’s just my imagination but I can’t ignore it anymore. I noticed I was gripping the steering wheel tightly with both hands through the curvy parts, which is a lot. I also noticed my dead spot seems to get more pronounced on the long drive. Feels like 3 inches of dead spot!

I will probably request one of the new steering boxes at some point. I don’t feel my case is urgent because otherwise I don’t have a problem driving my Jeep but now I get nervous on my drives up north. I need to take it in for a warranty issue (auto climate makes my Uconnect freeze up) so I will talk with them about it then. :crying::crying::crying::crying:
So I drove my JL 6 hours up north and back yesterday almost straight through. Freeway speed the entire way. One bathroom and coffee stop and one short stop at a friend’s apartment. And it drove perfectly!! Before on my trips up north my Jeep started out fine. It wasn’t until I drove about an hour and a half that I found myself sitting straight up at full attention gripping the wheel for dear life around the curvy parts on the highway.

But yesterday was such a pleasure to drive my Jeep. I waited for that dead spot in my steering to get bigger again but it never happened this time. I didn’t hit the brake at every curve and slow down to 60mph (or less). I didn’t position myself behind all the trucks so nobody blamed me for driving slow. I kept steady at 70/75 mph. Being able to drive without having to concentrate on having to drive is so nice! I got to enjoy the nice weather with the top down and didn’t even mind the 6 hour drive.

So I guess my Jeep like many others doesn’t do well in hot weather on long drives. I never noticed before because I had never taken my Jeep on long trips. Yesterday was the first day I drove up north when it wasn’t disgustingly hot. Certain parts I drove through was just 61° If only it was like this ALL THE TIME! Hopefully soon with my new steering box. I made an appointment on September 23 to request one :LOL: :clap: :fingerscrossed:

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Took mine on Friday last week. The took the whole day to just pull it in the bay, then Saturday they couldnt get the old part off, and today they have the new part installed but its throwing allignement errors, cant get it aligned, and the computer wont even let them drive it. Aint no telling what shape my Jeep will be in when I get it back. Pray for me.

Sponsored

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
Took mine on Friday last week. The took the whole day to just pull it in the bay, then Saturday they couldnt get the old part off, and today they have the new part installed but its throwing allignement errors, cant get it aligned, and the computer wont even let them drive it. Aint no telling what shape my Jeep will be in when I get it back. Pray for me.
What? That doesn't sound like they even know how to work on Jeep? Is yours crazy modified?

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
What? That doesn't sound like they even know how to work on Jeep? Is yours crazy modified?
steer smarts setup with high mount fox, 2.5” lift, with 37” tires. Nothing crazy I don’t think. I’m sure they change the transmission to a manual or something stupid.

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Been following this thread trying to decide if this new box will help me. Hearing people ecstatic after the new part.

I have a 2020 JLUR with the AE box with 2,000 miles all stock. I was concerned with all the horror stories before I ordered my Jeep but was pleased with how it handled when it arrived as I was afraid of getting one of the random "bad" steering/handling ones. Driving in town no concerns, driving on highway or interstate not fun.

Curious if others have experienced this and if the new AA box rectified the problem. Realize the Jeep is like a box driving down the road and the rake of the windshield doesn't make this vehicle aerodynamic but as much as I love this vehicle I am really not enjoying any highway driving and finding my self white knuckling and holding on with 2 hands all the time. Took another 100 mile trip today with a light crosswind and the entire drive at speeds of ~70mph I am gripping the steering wheel and making constant steering corrections to stay straight and especially when trying to pass another vehicle. People behind me probably think I just left a happy hour and am under the influence as it is difficult to stay in a straight line.

Anyways, anyone have that same driving experience on the highway and did this new AA box correct any of this?

Realize it is a Wrangler and don't expect it to drive or handle like a performance car or normal SUV but at the same time find my family doesn't even want to get behind the wheel to drive it on the highway.
Yes and Yes Get it done if you can...worth the effort. Mine is spot on.

SimpleAce

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Well i went in a month ago and they said they would order the parts. My appointment was today and 7 hours after I dropped it off they said it would be done tomorrow... Kinda frustrating cause it's a 2 hour job... Guess I'll post an update when I get it tomorrow instead of today!

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
steer smarts setup with high mount fox, 2.5” lift, with 37” tires. Nothing crazy I don’t think. I’m sure they change the transmission to a manual or something stupid.
or something stupid like they didn't adjust the drag link to center steering wheel
Sponsored