Sponsored

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
I get to pick up my JL today with the new steering box. Slightly annoyed that alignment isn't covered under the TSB, I get that what they are replacing shouldn't change the alignment but it seems like it should be a required step to ensure there are no further issues that would bring someone back to the service department.
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") IMG_0943

I didn't have to pay, Thats odd...
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Got mine back... a slight improvement over the AE Box.. Definitely more consistent. Mine wasn't horrific to begin with. Dealer did not give me a hard time, ordered parts right away, said mine was the first. Downside they kept it 2 days - this dealership is always so busy. Wheel is a bit off center.. Going to try and adjust drag link myself but if not successful I will bring it back in - trying to avoid losing it another day.
lmao, two days is no time at all man.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Took my 2019 JLUR in on Friday and after the service department did their thing the service manager told me they were ordering the new steel steering box. I mentioned that I didn't know why some dealerships were fighting their customers and he didn't understand it either. The next night I am out on a night run and the service manager is out there with his two kids. Got to chat with him outside the dealership environment. I have to wait a couple months for the box to come in due to the every two week rule from FCA, but hey if it resolves the dead spot and wandering it will be worth it.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
lmao, two days is no time at all man.
Seriously. It took my asshat dealership just shy of three weeks to replace my steering box... with another defective steering box.

And FYI JeepCares will reimburse you for your monthly car payment if the dealership keeps your car for a month.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I get to pick up my JL today with the new steering box. Slightly annoyed that alignment isn't covered under the TSB, I get that what they are replacing shouldn't change the alignment but it seems like it should be a required step to ensure there are no further issues that would bring someone back to the service department.
It really shouldn't have an effect on alignment, but I agree, it should be at least checked, if for no other reason than it is very easy.

I just bought alignment brackets for about 75 bucks from Bleepinjeep, the Youtube guy. They to on your front wheel studs, then you just use a tape measure to set it where you want it. I've got 3 Jeeps with solid front axles, so this will come in handy and save me some money pretty quickly. I'll check alignment once a year on each vehicle with it, plus do it for friends in exchange for beer.

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
First impressions on the new steering box is that the steering wheel play is GREATLY improved. This does not mean the wandering is improved, just that it responds better to steering inputs. I'm glad I paid for the alignment because my caster is 3.7*L 3.6*R. I'm not sure what I want to do now, I think I need another 1.5-2* of caster to sort out the wandering but really don't want to keep going down this rabbit hole of throwing parts at the jeep just to get it driveable.

Front:
Camber -0.5L; -.2R
Caster 3.7L; 3.6R
Toe .12L; .12R

Rear:
Camber -.5L; -.1R
Toe .38L; -.05R

Frustrating to say the least.

Edit to add I have Rubi takeoff suspension and wheels/tires. But still had wander on the stock setup and had the first steering box replaced when 100% stock. Looking into adjustable control arms to fix the caster.

Last edited:

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") IMG_0943

I didn't have to pay, Thats odd...
Looks like they didn't do the TSB. Looking at that says they replaced your rack and pinion. That would definitely require an alignment. Just an observation.

Andy

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I have reached out to Jeep Cares about expediting the steering box as I have been given an estimate of mid December. Hope they come thru for me.
I have been waiting for over a month now for, "back-ordered parts" but continue to see plenty of people after me get their new steering box installed super quickly. I feel your pain.

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Looks like they didn't do the TSB. Looking at that says they replaced your rack and pinion. That would definitely require an alignment. Just an observation.

Andy
I went under and checked, it's replaced :) lol. Black steering box.

Sponsored

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
First impressions on the new steering box is that the steering wheel play is GREATLY improved. This does not mean the wandering is improved, just that it responds better to steering inputs. I'm glad I paid for the alignment because my caster is 3.7*L 3.6*R. I'm not sure what I want to do now, I think I need another 1.5-2* of caster to sort out the wandering but really don't want to keep going down this rabbit hole of throwing parts at the jeep just to get it driveable.

Front:
Camber -0.5L; -.2R
Caster 3.7L; 3.6R
Toe .12L; .12R

Rear:
Camber -.5L; -.1R
Toe .38L; -.05R

Readings before 1st alignment Felt like I was trying to balance on top of a Q-Ball. Wandered all over the place
Front:
Camber -0.5L; -.3R
Caster 4.5L; 4.6R
Toe .23L; .27R

Rear:
Camber -.5L; -.4R
Toe .23L; .30R

Readings after 3" lift and longer lower control arms. Much better feel but would still wander with play in the wheel
Front:
Camber -0.3L; -.6R
Caster 7.5L; 7.5R
Toe .05L; .19R

Rear:
Camber -.3L; -.6R
Toe .33L; .26R

Yes the lift moved the axles 1/2 inch to the drivers side but the control arms rolled the front axle so the camber tends to add just enough on center resistance to prevent wander.

I had the TSB completed last week and on a flat surface It travels straight without hands on wheel. I plan on getting it aligned again this week.

For those that are modding and wheel roughly, I caught Firestone having a lifetime alignment sale so for under $200 I can get it aligned as often as I would like for as long as own the Jeep

Andy

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Front:
Camber -0.5L; -.2R
Caster 3.7L; 3.6R
Toe .12L; .12R

Rear:
Camber -.5L; -.1R
Toe .38L; -.05R

I assume you have a lift as that Caster is way low for a stock sport. Get the longer Mopar LCAs and enjoy that Jeep!
Here's my install post for those~
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/#post-919317

Foster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Over two weeks ago, my dealer ordered the parts and told me they would arrive late September. Jeepcares just called me and said it's actually gonna be 80 days from today!! If I find a dealer that doesn't have a huge wait could I transfer over to them instead? I forgot to ask when I was on the phone with Jeepcares, and they don't pickup when you call them.

I would be mad about the dealer saying one date, and being off by 3 months, but at least they're fixing it right? Lol

702SaharaJL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Bikini Blue
I have an appointment on Thursday for this issue. Sloppy steering and it wanders..Hope they fix it! Is there anything i should tell them when I drop it off.
Sponsored