First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
... Tell me I’m paranoid they’ll put an older gearbox in. lol Nothing surprises us anymore. :LOL: I’ll just wait and ask if they’re doing the 08-074-20 TSB when they call I guess.
Referencing the TSB upfront is a good start. When you take it in for the replacement you might also ask to see the new steering box. Mention that you want to make sure that both of you agree that the correct part is being installed. And, mention that you're making sure they don't have to eat their labor if it turns out that the wrong part is inadvertently installed.
Sponsored

Reactions: RTJ

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Referencing the TSB upfront is a good start. When you take it in for the replacement you might also ask to see the new steering box. Mention that you want to make sure that both of you agree that the correct part is being installed. And, mention that you're making sure they don't have to eat their labor if it turns out that the wrong part is inadvertently installed.
I’ll definitely make sure we’re referencing the same TSB number and put eyes on the gearbox.

AZ_JL

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon UL
I had this TSB done and it fixed my steering problem on my 18 JLUR. Picked it up this Saturday and I was impressed. Had it in three previous times with only incremental improvements. Did the new stabilizer, alignment, etc, still terrible with lots of play. This finally did the trick and they did an alignment as well. Drives like a ‘20 now. I took the service manager on a drive before dropping it off.

LadyJeeper

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Teacher
Yay! I have my Jeep back!

In the less than 5 miles I drove it home, I can say there is more input when I turn the wheel. Before, I could be driving straight and pull the wheel left and right (probably at least an inch or more on either side) and the Jeep would just continue driving straight! I would say there is a tiny dead spot, half inch or less, but it didn't seem as obvious as before.

I also noticed on my small drive, that I wasn't having to constantly adjust the wheel to just feel like I was driving straight. Tomorrow I will take it out on the highway to see how it handles and later this week the heat and humidity will be back to test if everything stays happy! So far things are looking peachy!

I was very happy with Bob (Robert Kelly the service agent) and told him about our thread. I asked him about performing the TSB on modified Jeeps and he said that he might be able to perform the TSB, but it depends on what has been done. Sorry guys, I am new to the Jeep world and he started mentioning things that were way over my head! Sounds like he is willing to take a look and work with you though!

My order does state that they did multiple road tests to confirm the issue. Funny thing though, there was only about 3 miles extra on my car since I dropped it off and I do not live close to a main highway. I wonder what they did to test it or maybe my steering was just that bad?

Fingers crossed that the rest of the issues are resolved, but I can say I will be taking my Jeep back to Safford just because their customer service was EXCELLENT!

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") TSB Repair

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
My 2018 JLUR had steering problems from day one. Ball joints were finger tight, so those were torqued. All other front linkage joints were checked for proper torque. When the steering improved, but wasn't where it should be the Jeep went back to service. Got the head technician and showed him the extent of the dead zone. He opened a star case (October 2018) and was directed to adjust the steering box. 3/16 of a turn greatly reduced the dead zone. But, next summer the steering seemed to be loose again. Unfortunately FCA had prohibited the dealers from adjusting the steering box by that time. So, I lived with it. Last winter it was pretty good again, but this summer it's back to being loose.

As an aside, the addition of a Metalcloak 2.5" lift and a sector shaft brace after a year of driving the Jeep in a stock configuration helped reduce the wandering. Had the lift installed at my go-to off road shop. We worked on tweaking the front end to increase the caster and improve the self centering. The shop did well, so again, another small improvement.

Mine is not noticeably loose on the trail or around town when I first start out. The dead zone really shows up after coming off a trail and heading home on the expressway during our 110 degree summer. Then I get a dead zone that allows the Jeep to wander enough that constant small corrections are required. Irritating to say the least.

What I believe is happening is related to the aluminum case and the steel gears. Aluminum expands at twice the rate as steel for any given temperature change. Mine was adjusted when the temps were moderate. Thus, when it gets colder my gear lash probably tightens up ... yielding reasonably good steering in the winter. When summer shows up, the case expands twice as much as the gears which results in a looser than optimal gear lash ... yielding the dreaded wandering. I think FCA stopped the dealerships from adjusting the steering box when someone mentioned that adjusting it during the heat of the summer has the possibility of causing a binding when the Jeep is taken into a cold climate. Binding, as in, it could possibly bind up enough to cause an accident.

Why not a recall? Well, some folks lucked out and received a steering box from the factory that works great in their temperature zone. And, some folks aren't bothered by the wandering as much as you and I are. And, some folks have exceeded the warranty period without complaining. Those are all the folks who keep telling us we're crazy. So, why replace their steering box? After all, it's going to be expensive enough as is without a blanket recall of a three year product run.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just picked my jeep up. Wander is all but gone in short drive home. Play and dead zone is minimal and what I would expect with solid axle and vehicle with 10" of tire sidewall. Overall very pleased.

there is a lot of what I assume is power steering fluid all over.

they did a complementary alignment since the drag link had been removed. Fine except that they for some crazy reason adjusted the track bar. It appears they shortened track bar back to stock length even though it has a 2" mopar lift.

I'm becoming one of those people that doesn't trust anyone to touch my jeep.

also, they tried to return toe setting to stock and it death wobbled imediately. They returned back to toe out setting.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I'm becoming one of those people that doesn't trust anyone to touch my jeep.
I became one of those people 42 yrs ago :facepalm:
Unfortunately warranty & TSB issues are one of those times you just gotta suck it up. Hopefully spilled fluid is all you'll be dealing with & nice to get that tight box on your JL :)

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Got my Jeep back after getting it checked. They ordered the parts(made sure they ordered the bolts also). Said it’ll be a couple weeks. They also said they’ll turn a blind eye to my mods(I’m guessing the after market wheels, tire size and lift). I’m just glad that the parts were ordered and the willingness to work with me.
Also, saw something that made me look twice.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 48379E38-8774-4FBB-AF13-77B5FD1AAD22

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Got my Jeep back after getting it checked. They ordered the parts(made sure they ordered the bolts also). Said it’ll be a couple weeks. They also said they’ll turn a blind eye to my mods(I’m guessing the after market wheels, tire size and lift). I’m just glad that the parts were ordered and the willingness to work with me.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 48379E38-8774-4FBB-AF13-77B5FD1AAD22
Now that's a cry for help, glad your JL is getting TSB'd :)

Sponsored

RTJ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport Unlimited

Don't ever do that again! I can't un'see that!

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Don't ever do that again! I can't un'see that!
Sad to say I kinda wanted that grill once upon a time but I was going to leave it black. Glad I didn’t. I was going to leave a note on the windshield of my parts guys info. That JT needs some new shoes‍.
Otherwise super looking forward to the new steering box. And what’s even better my new yeti tie rod and drag link came in today so after the install from the dealership the new parts will be installed.

Last edited:
Reactions: RTJ

shoregrrrl

First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
So...just got told the parts wont be available til 18 Sep!!!
That’s odd. My dealership has had my ‘18 JLU since last Thursday. I printed out the TSB and brought it with me to give to the service manager. They said they ordered the parts and will perform the TSB services this week. I should have my Jeep back on Friday. Why would they say they’re doing it if the parts are not even available yet?!
Sponsored