Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

JDBull7

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubi JLU
Called my SE Wisconsin dealer last week about the TSB. The rep wasn’t aware of the TSB but looked it up after I gave him the number. He then said “ok, I’ll order parts, will Tuesday work?”

I dropped off early this am and was eagerly anticipating the call saying everything is done. A call finally came at 4 this afternoon and was told we test drove and “confirmed a steering issue” but not sure the TSB will address it. But we will order the TSB parts and start there. Then told parts are 3 weeks out. Well, at least they confirmed a problem. Stay tuned.

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Got to drive mine more on the highway the last couple days. There is definitely an improvement compared to the old steering box. It does still wander around on the highway over 65 mph. It's easier to correct now. It still feels like a ball joint problem but I have no play in them. Maybe it's my tires?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Got to drive mine more on the highway the last couple days. There is definitely an improvement compared to the old steering box. It does still wander around on the highway over 65 mph. It's easier to correct now. It still feels like a ball joint problem but I have no play in them. Maybe it's my tires?
JLs need their caster in the 6 degree range, the slightly longer Mopar lift LCAs should solve that wander issue you're having (if you haven't added them already). Rubicons typically have caster around 4 degrees FWIW. Cost about $70 for the pair.
Here's my install post on them
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/#post-919317

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
JLs need their caster in the 6 degree range, the slightly longer Mopar lift LCAs should solve that wander issue you're having (if you haven't added them already). Cost about $70 for the pair.
I have Metalcloak control arms. My caster is at 6.7 degrees. It drives great until I get on the highway. It's just as soon as I get over 65 it starts wandering.

Sponsored

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I've got a metalcloak game changer. All new control arms and track bars. I only have about 3000 miles on the lift so bushings should all be good still.

JARHEAD-JL

First Name
Andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
So I‘m at the dealership right now, They are telling me that they can only order the part once every two weeks, so it might be a while before I get the new part in. Apparently I am the second person in that came with the problem.

There might be a bigger problem because of my lift, they are telling me that some of the big 4x4 companies are telling all their customers about the problem, so they are bringing all their lifted Jeeps in for the steering problem, so they are being very picky with lifted Jeeps when it comes to doing this repair.

I am talking with JeepCares already, and hopefully I don’t get screwed over this steering problem.

They are working on getting me a loaner, by I told them that I was broke right now, which is true lol.

JARHEAD-JL

First Name
Andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I've got a metalcloak game changer. All new control arms and track bars. I only have about 3000 miles on the lift so bushings should all be good still.
Have you changed you Tie Rod and Drag link. Also how about the track bar relocation bracket. I am planning on doing the package from Steersmarts (Yeti Drag link with attenuator, Tie Rod, and Track Bar Bracket).

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My dealer won't cover it under the TSB. The tech says he can't seem to find an issue which is insane. The only thing I can think is the problem is so common that he thinks crap sterring is normal. I am going to meet with the service manager on Monday when he is back from vacation but I should probably just switch dealers.

In fact, maybe I should buy a Bronco. My ford dealers service is a good bit better anyway.
My first dealer did a 6 minute test drive. Speed 30, 40 then some 50 KMH. Finally a few seconds at 70.

That's too slow!

I wish they had gone through a drive-thru car wash instead. Would have been just as valuable, and Jeep would have been clean. They had the TSB which we highlighted

EU_Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY20 JLUR 2.2 EcoDiesel
Maybe a dumb question here, but is there any way to see the difference between the alu box and the iron box in a newly delivered Wrangler?
I wonder if the new 2021 models arriving to the dealer lots are equipped with the new steering box or not...

Sponsored

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Maybe a dumb question here, but is there any way to see the difference between the alu box and the iron box in a newly delivered Wrangler?
I wonder if the new 2021 models arriving to the dealer lots are equipped with the new steering box or not...
The aluminum box is silver and the steel one is black.

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Have you changed you Tie Rod and Drag link. Also how about the track bar relocation bracket. I am planning on doing the package from Steersmarts (Yeti Drag link with attenuator, Tie Rod, and Track Bar Bracket).
I've got the steer smart tie rod and drag link on mine.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Just got the call from the dealer, Parts are in. Took 16 days from dealer "inspection". I'm dropping it off tomorrow for installation. I can't give Faricy Boys in Colorado Springs enough praise! On a different note, I was working on the Jeep this past weekend and noticed my Steering stabilizer (stock) looks like its leaking :headbang:!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Just got back from the dealer with the new cast iron gear box installed... WOW. Night and day difference, very tight feel now. You guys that are having major problems will be very happy with this new box.
Sponsored