Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S Altitude edition
Occupation
Class 1 railroad Engineer
Yours is better! :)
Also Corey, the trackbar also had a TSB which they improved the bushings, just some more food for thought :)
Man this is sounding like I need to just replace everything on the front-end. No good for a vehicle I just bought.....
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Man this is sounding like I need to just replace everything on the front-end. No good for a vehicle I just bought.....
I wouldn't be too concerned, I'd take it to a decent 4x4 shop if you have one in your area and have them go over all the suspension/steering items that can be prone to wear to verify what's what. I would do this AFTER seeing if your local Jeep dealer might help w/ that steering gear box (if you have the aluminum one that is)

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Question here
I bought this new to me 2019 jlu with 75k miles and i opted to not purchase the almost $4000 upfront extended warranty..... It's stock with no mods....... When I bought it, the thing wondered and the dealership said it needed an alignment. So after the alignment it felt better but still off. I discovered the TSB a couple days later. I returned to the dealership and asked if they would would fix the issue by going in halves on the repair cost. I was told no. I bought the wrangler from a Honda dealership, and have only had this thing a month. Long story short yesterday was very windy and me passing someone, compensating for the wind and then the slop in the steering decided to give a little more compensation, i almost side swiped the car i was passing..... anyway the more I drive it the more I'm hating it and I'm wanting it fixed. I know there's things I can do to try to alleviate the problem, but is it really mine to deal with?? Do you think I would have better luck going to a CDJ dealership?? I need help here. I DON'T WANT TO HATE my 5th wrangler....
My suggestion is call Jeep cares and see if they can help you out .

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
Recall and TSB parts are usually priced pretty fairly, with the expectation there will be high internal use.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Here's the track bar TSB
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...all-steering-corrections-new-track-bar.33643/
There was also a steering stabilizer (damper) TSB but don't have that.

The steering gear box would be the priority, then the track bar if the dealer would help w/ either of those. The steering damper is a cheap part that you can DIY in a few minutes so I'd see about the first two and see how it goes.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
it'd be a tough swallow, but i don't recall the parts being all that expensive to have the box changed. maybe poke jeepcares and see if they can at least help you with a local dealer that isn't a complete shit show and willing to do this repair and flash at your expense (few hundred might be worth it to you) ?
When the first TSB changing the steering gear first came out, the dealer examined my Jeep and refused to change it. (I know how it reads. In fact I had handed them the printed TSB highlighting where it said so, and said my Jeep had the symptoms, signed and dated it.) On the paper work at the end I wrote in large letters--dealer did not do the work. It was unsafe; signed and dated it)

@JeepCares referred me to FCA Jeep Canada Customer Cares. The rep made it all happen; first he named a dealer that would do good work. In fact he called them and explained fully what was wrong and how to fix it. The second dealer did an amazing job changing the steering gear. Their work was perfect.

Note: the first dealer did a test drive; 6 minutes long at low speed. Of course the Jeep was fine. If they had gone on a coffee/donut run it would have been a better test.

DaveL
Toronto

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
When the first TSB changing the steering gear first came out, the dealer examined my Jeep and refused to change it. (I know how it reads. In fact I had handed them the printed TSB highlighting where it said so, and said my Jeep had the symptoms, signed and dated it.) On the paper work at the end I wrote in large letters--dealer did not do the work. It was unsafe; signed and dated it)

@JeepCares referred me to FCA Jeep Canada Customer Cares. The rep made it all happen; first he named a dealer that would do good work. In fact he called them and explained fully what was wrong and how to fix it. The second dealer did an amazing job changing the steering gear. Their work was perfect.

Note: the first dealer did a test drive; 6 minutes long at low speed. Of course the Jeep was fine. If they had gone on a coffee/donut run it would have been a better test.

DaveL
Toronto
When I had the steering box TSB applied the dealer ordered a 4dr box (2drs require a different box, 4dr has a quicker ratio). Luckily they caught the error prior to install. When they got the proper 2dr box they installed it, torque requirement is like 33 ft lbs PLUS a 105 degree twist IIRC, this is approx 100 ft lbs. Dealer only tightened to 33ish, they are also to install a new shaft nut & bolt as this is never to be reused, but they REUSED mine :( They also left the steering fluid cap on top of the fender under the hood :(
At least I had a short drive home, so it was still there when I verified everything was done properly. Too bad nothing was :( But it was only the steering box, and if that comes loose you might just die, but oh well.

But once everything was properly torqued and the cap tightened down, it was all good, a nice improvement from the aluminum unit.

jackrubicon

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler rubicon 2021
J'ai un JLU 2018. La direction est horrible. J'ai possédé 11 véhicules à essieu avant solide (dont 3 semi-tracteurs) et la Jeep est tout simplement la pire en ce qui concerne la direction.

Pour une raison quelconque, Jeep a décidé de mettre un système de direction électronique/hydraulique dans les JL. Il semble qu'il y ait un flash PCU qui peut minimiser le dérapage, mais pourquoi n'est-ce pas un rappel ? Pourquoi cela n'est-il pas fait sur tous les 2019 et 2020? Quand on regarde les JK et JL, il y a si peu de frais de conception, de R&D et de fabrication impliqués, on pourrait penser qu'ils construiraient un véhicule presque parfait pour 40 000 $ à 60 000 $. Les énormes marges bénéficiaires sur les Wranglers soutiennent l'ensemble de la marque.

Ils ne doivent pas avoir fait de test ou ils ont testé le système alors qu'ils étaient ivres. Je ne sais pas, mais d'après mon expérience, c'est le pire véhicule de direction que j'aie jamais possédé. C'est dangereux et inexcusable. L'ensemble du SR-71 Blackbird a été conçu à la main sur du papier à dessin. On pourrait penser qu'avec les super ordinateurs d'aujourd'hui et la CAO d'ingénierie avancée, ils obtiendraient au moins la bonne direction.
[/CITATION]

Shadowridr1

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So I had another issue yesterday driving home. Now not only do I have the wondering all over the place, I also now have the shimmy after hitting a bump at highway speed. It's very similar to DW, not as violent and does not continue. I've got to get this thing under control. I have contacted, AGAIN, the dealership I purchased the wrangler from. The service manager told me that the sales manager directly said that they will not do anything and that I needed to stop calling!!! I've had this thing for a little over a month and Yesterday was only the 2nd time I had called. First was after the alignment when I told them it didn't fix the problem, helped, but didn't fix them. The service manager was kinda irritated by the sales manager and stated so. I did also contact the local CDJR dealer and they are seeing what they can do today. I'm sure they will come back with full price on replacement. I've also been in communications with jeep cares on here. I honestly don't know what to do. I know I screwed up and should have coughed up the 4k for the extended warranty, but that would have meant no food on the table for a month.....

Sponsored

Ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
So I had another issue yesterday driving home. Now not only do I have the wondering all over the place, I also now have the shimmy after hitting a bump at highway speed. It's very similar to DW, not as violent and does not continue. I've got to get this thing under control. I have contacted, AGAIN, the dealership I purchased the wrangler from. The service manager told me that the sales manager directly said that they will not do anything and that I needed to stop calling!!! I've had this thing for a little over a month and Yesterday was only the 2nd time I had called. First was after the alignment when I told them it didn't fix the problem, helped, but didn't fix them. The service manager was kinda irritated by the sales manager and stated so. I did also contact the local CDJR dealer and they are seeing what they can do today. I'm sure they will come back with full price on replacement. I've also been in communications with jeep cares on here. I honestly don't know what to do. I know I screwed up and should have coughed up the 4k for the extended warranty, but that would have meant no food on the table for a month.....
I had the same issue. For me it was the Ball Joints. I replaced them with Terflex Ball Joints and never looked back. The factory Ball Joints are made with plastic cups and are trash. Once you install offset wheels and bigger tires they won't last long. I had 11k miles on mine.

Shadowridr1

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I had the same issue. For me it was the Ball Joints. I replaced them with Terflex Ball Joints and never looked back. The factory Ball Joints are made with plastic cups and are trash. Once you install offset wheels and bigger tires they won't last long. I had 11k miles on mine.
So I saw this too about these being a weak link. I was looking them up, there is a knurled set and non knurled. How do I know which ones I have? Mine is a sport s model

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So I saw this too about these being a weak link. I was looking them up, there is a knurled set and non knurled. How do I know which ones I have? Mine is a sport s model
Shouldn't need the knurled set, those are meant for a loose fit when the knuckles are worn so they fit tighter.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
The answer for ours, was the install of the Cast Iron steering gearbox. Warranty covered it, and it has been great ever since!

Ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Y
You will need the non knurl set. The knurled ones are for damaged or worn axle mounts for the ball joints.
Sponsored