Sponsored

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Altitude
I did a few things in order to get the Jeep to handle in an acceptable way. I changed all 4 shocks to Rancho 9000XL. I have the fronts set on the softest setting and the rears set on 4 which would be semi-firm. Not a bad shock for the money! The shocks got rid of the harshness and sudden quirks when hitting small bumps in the road that the stock shocks couldn't do! But adjusting the steering box made the biggest difference in the wandering and now the Jeep is a joy to drive!
Just curious, do you have a Rubicon? I have zero issues with my new steering box, however I have a Sahara and I am looking at the Bilstein 5100, stock Sahara no lift. I will be towing a trailer in the summer. I have to research more about the Fox and Rancho shocks. Is there a specific reason you got the Rancho?
Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

My stock/recalled stabilizer blew about a month back. Replaced it with a Fox ATS 2.0. Very smooth and doesn't resist harder turning one way or the other. It feels responsive at the default setting but not flighty like the original did or stiff like the second design of the stock stabilizer. I'd highly recommend it.

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My stock/recalled stabilizer blew about a month back. Replaced it with a Fox ATS 2.0. Very smooth and doesn't resist harder turning one way or the other. It feels responsive at the default setting but not flighty like the original did or stiff like the second design of the stock stabilizer. I'd highly recommend it.
The Rancho shocks, do you think they are better than Billstein 5100? For my purpose stock Sahara and staying stock. I will be towing so I want to beef up the shocks.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

The Rancho shocks, do you think they are better than Billstein 5100? For my purpose stock Sahara and staying stock. I will be towing so I want to beef up the shocks.
I think you quoted the wrong person. I'm using Teraflex shocks and have a lift. IMHO if you're staying stock, there is little or no value in getting aftermarket shocks. I'd stick with the mopars.

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you quoted the wrong person. I'm using Teraflex shocks and have a lift. IMHO if you're staying stock, there is little or no value in getting aftermarket shocks. I'd stick with the mopars.
I will be towing in the summer our travel trailer. I wanted a better shock, after reviewing the 5100 Bilstein they seem to be really good for towing purposes.

Sponsored

Vinny2002

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2020
Anyone have a copy of the latest TSB. I've had my computer flashed at least once since have the original TSB performed on my 2020. I'm betting there is another version by now and likely new parts to be swapped. Thx.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Sponsored

Shadowridr1

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S Altitude edition
Occupation
Class 1 railroad Engineer
Question here
I bought this new to me 2019 jlu with 75k miles and i opted to not purchase the almost $4000 upfront extended warranty..... It's stock with no mods....... When I bought it, the thing wondered and the dealership said it needed an alignment. So after the alignment it felt better but still off. I discovered the TSB a couple days later. I returned to the dealership and asked if they would would fix the issue by going in halves on the repair cost. I was told no. I bought the wrangler from a Honda dealership, and have only had this thing a month. Long story short yesterday was very windy and me passing someone, compensating for the wind and then the slop in the steering decided to give a little more compensation, i almost side swiped the car i was passing..... anyway the more I drive it the more I'm hating it and I'm wanting it fixed. I know there's things I can do to try to alleviate the problem, but is it really mine to deal with?? Do you think I would have better luck going to a CDJ dealership?? I need help here. I DON'T WANT TO HATE my 5th wrangler....

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Question here
I bought this new to me 2019 jlu with 75k miles and i opted to not purchase the almost $4000 upfront extended warranty..... It's stock with no mods....... When I bought it, the thing wondered and the dealership said it needed an alignment. So after the alignment it felt better but still off. I discovered the TSB a couple days later. I returned to the dealership and asked if they would would fix the issue by going in halves on the repair cost. I was told no. I bought the wrangler from a Honda dealership, and have only had this thing a month. Long story short yesterday was very windy and me passing someone, compensating for the wind and then the slop in the steering decided to give a little more compensation, i almost side swiped the car i was passing..... anyway the more I drive it the more I'm hating it and I'm wanting it fixed. I know there's things I can do to try to alleviate the problem, but is it really mine to deal with?? Do you think I would have better luck going to a CDJ dealership?? I need help here. I DON'T WANT TO HATE my 5th wrangler....
Sorry about your experience.
At 75k miles you could have a few issues. First verify that you indeed have the aluminum steering gear box, it will be gray/silver, the latest cast iron box is black. Taking it back to a Honda dealer I would expect them to reject any work on that Jeep.

You could try a Jeep dealer and hope they may goodwill the repair but not likely unless you've had other FCA vehicles w/ them.

With the higher miles all the steering parts need to be verified that the bolts are still tight, the bushings still sound, etc.

Jeep factory ball joints have a poor/cheap design using a plastic sleeve that wears down and this can cause slop w/ the overall steering/handling.

Steering stabilzer may be worn out, there was also a TSB for that as well, it won't make a huge difference typically but something else to look at.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Welcome to the forum Corey!

Way way back I used to adjust the steering box of my cars when they wandered.
It was easy for me then; it's not easy for me now. I asked my dealer (2019 JLU ) to adjust the steering box. They refused; said it's a Jeep Thing. Every time I complained they said they checked all TSB's and they had all been done. They said they checked all torque settings, and they were fine. And they said that they had taken a brand new one out of stock, and it was fine (saying mine was fine.) Dash cam showed that their drive was low speed on the smoothest city streets...I got help from @JeepCares but was referred to FCA Jeep Canada Customer Care. Procedures in Canada were different. I got FCA's rep attention when I assured him I would go to Transport Canada, and had done that previously with another make of car. Yes they changed the steering box. (Though I think that it should have been adjusted. A good mechanic can do that. )

First---look at your steering box. Is it black? If so it's been changed.

On the forum There have been several technical service bulletins reported. The early TSB (which I had done after a year and a half of complaining...) rquired reflashing the computer too. Changing the steering box almost eliminated the wandering....

For you--Start by checking tire pressure. Often dealers and owners overinflate them. Look for signs of unusual wear. Pressure too high--contributes to wandering. Mine was 42 psi when I picked it up. Unusual wear? An alignment will adjust toe-in. Not camber. Not caster.

Check level of fluid in the power steering reservoir. fill with the right fluid if you need to... your power steering will be better with the right amount of fluid. Check belts....they could be toast now. Check all your fuses and relays. Some owners say that pushing them in to seat them better made a difference.

I've read all the posts in the various steering threads. The TSB's have changed several times..

Hope this helps. Bought a '22 Rubi; it's a lot better. JLUR....because @JeepCares and FCA Canada helped me a lot.

If you have the original steering box, ask @JeepCares for help. If it was mine and I liked it otherwise, I would have the steering box changed.

If you get into it there are many "fixes" Early on those were all suggested to me; along with comments of "It's a Jeep Thing" and get-over-it. There's a good video where the owner adjusted his own steering box....later he had the steering box changed when the TSB came out.

I recognize that many people re-engineer their Jeeps to improve ability and performance. However, I believe it's the manufacturer's job to design and build them safe for basic use. Yours is an older Jeep; it's worth a look to see if everything in the steering gear is in good repair and installed properly.

HOpe this helps.

DaveL

@blnewt -- great post!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Welcome to the forum Corey!

Way way back I used to adjust the steering box of my cars when they wandered.
It was easy for me then; it's not easy for me now. I asked my dealer (2019 JLU ) to adjust the steering box. They refused; said it's a Jeep Thing. Every time I complained they said they checked all TSB's and they had all been done. They said they checked all torque settings, and they were fine. And they said that they had taken a brand new one out of stock, and it was fine (saying mine was fine.) Dash cam showed that their drive was low speed on the smoothest city streets...I got help from @JeepCares but was referred to FCA Jeep Canada Customer Care. Procedures in Canada were different. I got FCA's rep attention when I assured him I would go to Transport Canada, and had done that previously with another make of car. Yes they changed the steering box. (Though I think that it should have been adjusted. A good mechanic can do that. )

First---look at your steering box. Is it black? If so it's been changed.

On the forum There have been several technical service bulletins reported. The early TSB (which I had done after a year and a half of complaining...) rquired reflashing the computer too. Changing the steering box almost eliminated the wandering....

For you--Start by checking tire pressure. Often dealers and owners overinflate them. Look for signs of unusual wear. Pressure too high--contributes to wandering. Mine was 42 psi when I picked it up. Unusual wear? An alignment will adjust toe-in. Not camber. Not caster.

Check level of fluid in the power steering reservoir. fill with the right fluid if you need to... your power steering will be better with the right amount of fluid. Check belts....they could be toast now. Check all your fuses and relays. Some owners say that pushing them in to seat them better made a difference.

I've read all the posts in the various steering threads. The TSB's have changed several times..

Hope this helps. Bought a '22 Rubi; it's a lot better. JLUR....because @JeepCares and FCA Canada helped me a lot.

If you have the original steering box, ask @JeepCares for help. If it was mine and I liked it otherwise, I would have the steering box changed.

If you get into it there are many "fixes" Early on those were all suggested to me; along with comments of "It's a Jeep Thing" and get-over-it. There's a good video where the owner adjusted his own steering box....later he had the steering box changed when the TSB came out.

I recognize that many people re-engineer their Jeeps to improve ability and performance. However, I believe it's the manufacturer's job to design and build them safe for basic use. Yours is an older Jeep; it's worth a look to see if everything in the steering gear is in good repair and installed properly.

HOpe this helps.

DaveL

@blnewt -- great post!
Yours is better! :)
Also Corey, the trackbar also had a TSB which they improved the bushings, just some more food for thought :)

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
it'd be a tough swallow, but i don't recall the parts being all that expensive to have the box changed. maybe poke jeepcares and see if they can at least help you with a local dealer that isn't a complete shit show and willing to do this repair and flash at your expense (few hundred might be worth it to you) ?
Sponsored