Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
See scanned TSB (cleaner version). Dropped off Wrangler today; pickup is tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
I want to thank you for your posts. I read the first one when it first came out. I printed the TSB, and then the fun started. Conclusion....the first TSB was finally done. Thanks so much.
Sponsored

OP
OP

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
did you have a damn dead spot in your steering ? mine does, and i just set up an appt with my dealer HOPING this will eliminate that damn dead spot. that or im going to have to figure out how to get to the adjustment screw that has been mentioned elsewhere.....
they didnt finish the job, so I am waiting to pick up on friday night. MTF on sat.

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I hate that, despite updates, this TSB does *not* include 2021 model years. With as many of us with '21s who have had the steering issues, I want Jeep to be honest and admit the issues have been throughout.

I was told by my dealer after taking it *back* after the TSB had been done that they never should have performed the TSB in the first place since I have a 2021. :mad:

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I was not planning on going after the 2nd TSB until you I heard you say it's more stable on the highway in wind and rain. This is my only complaint. At speeds 65+ it can still have a slight "wander" unless the weather is clear.

So the 2nd software update alone made the difference?
I'm grateful that Jeep is continuing to work on the steering issue.

The third TSB seems very simple and thorough.

Sponsored

OP
OP

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
they didnt finish the job, so I am waiting to pick up on friday night. MTF on sat.
Got Jeep back. They claimed to do everything, but guess what: no change. Still have a 1-2" dead spot in the center.

Ugh

Vinny2002

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2020
Got Jeep back. They claimed to do everything, but guess what: no change. Still have a 1-2" dead spot in the center.

Ugh
you can check all the parts against the TSB. make sure they match.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
check your power steering fluid reservoir.

If it's low, top it up.

Check your tire pressure. Maybe reset after the alignment.

Hope this helps.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I brought my 2018 JL in for the clutch recall. I asked the dealer to execute this TSB, also stated that the vehicle has always wandered on the freeway and I would like this fix.

The dealer refused to do the TSB. The dealer blamed my aftermarket Terraflex 2.5" lift and suspension.

I pointed out that the TSB clearly documents what needs to be done, and what it says about aftermarket suspension.

I asked the dealer to document that they refused to do this TSB as I requested in their service documentation. The service manager asked me why. I stated that I wanted their refusal to correct a known steering issue that is documented by the manufacturer that they would be reimbursed for, so that if I was in an accident they could be held liable.

They are now reconsidering their decision. Will see if they do the work now.

UPDATE: Just got a call from the dealer.. they are going ahead and ordering the part to do the repair. Looks like the fix is to push a little harder, and make sure they know they are going to be held liable if they do not honor the TSB.

Last edited:

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
Beyond frustrated. I’ve had the TSB 08-074-20 performed, twice (not by request) the latest in December 2020 and it is still horrible. Now there’s a completely different TSB 08-003-21 and it’s about identical to the previous ones. The difference is “pitman shaft but, frame bolts and I-shaft pinch bolt need to be replaced.”??

Sponsored

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
So is that pitman shaft nut new from the old TSB to this one? If so they screwed me and didn't bother witht he nut - just did the software upgrade.

I'm honestly exhausted with it at this point. It's good enough for now.. I'm gonna wait a couple of years for the car inventory and prices to get back to normal and then just trade my Rubicon in for one that has the Recon Package and hopefully by then all the steering issues sorted out.
Very optimistic. We’ll see a new generation or two before or if the steering issue is fixed.

Side note, think of all the botched, not fully completed TSB’s done to all the JL’s out there. This whole thing is a mess not to mention a nightmare for some.

In addition you have dealers who want to argue or decline to do the TSB. How do we even know if the software was updated? FCA dealerships have a horrible reputation and it wouldn’t suprise me if some of them claimed to complete the TSB and just falsified it.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Fiteacher

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram1500
I just purchased a 21 JLUR a couple of months ago.

Are the 21s in need of the steering TSB fix?

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I just purchased a 21 JLUR a couple of months ago.

Are the 21s in need of the steering TSB fix?
According to the text of the TSB, no. But my JLUR built in January 2021 and purchased on May drove like crap out of the box. My local dealer (not the one I purchased from) did the TSB anyway because of the symptoms. Some improvement but nowhere near as good as my 2018 JKU Willys had been.

So, your mileage may vary if 1) you have any steering issues and 2) if your dealer is willing to do any of the TSB items.