OP

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
So is that pitman shaft nut new from the old TSB to this one? If so they screwed me and didn't bother witht he nut - just did the software upgrade.

I'm honestly exhausted with it at this point. It's good enough for now.. I'm gonna wait a couple of years for the car inventory and prices to get back to normal and then just trade my Rubicon in for one that has the Recon Package and hopefully by then all the steering issues sorted out.
When I compared the 2 TSBs, the only change was the pitman arm bolt. So yea, I think they might have skipped that. But not sure if that bolt would make a huge difference. What I am more concerned with is this: is the software they uploaded in Jan 2021 different than the software they used on your Jeep now? Either way, they are doing everything again for me, so I'm hoping for a good result.
Sponsored

Vinny2002

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2020
When I compared the 2 TSBs, the only change was the pitman arm bolt. So yea, I think they might have skipped that. But not sure if that bolt would make a huge difference. What I am more concerned with is this: is the software they uploaded in Jan 2021 different than the software they used on your Jeep now? Either way, they are doing everything again for me, so I'm hoping for a good result.
Yeah I’m not sure what the bolt would do unless there is play in it?

Let us know how your update goes.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
IIRC the pitman arm bolt is massive. Huge. So it would make sense to replace the nut in case of damage on the one they removed to change the steering gear.

IIRC it would be easy to have avoided doing the software update. IT WAS IN the first TSB.

And reading all these posts (I have; started in the beginning when it was new) an easy check is to make sure there is enough power steering fluid in the reservoir. It's easy to top it up.

enjoy.

Vinny2002

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IIRC the pitman arm bolt is massive. Huge. So it would make sense to replace the nut in case of damage on the one they removed to change the steering gear.

IIRC it would be easy to have avoided doing the software update. IT WAS IN the first TSB.

And reading all these posts (I have; started in the beginning when it was new) an easy check is to make sure there is enough power steering fluid in the reservoir. It's easy to top it up.

enjoy.
my understanding is the software update is new. not the same from a year ago.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I would expect change. There were too many complaints.
I figured ours is good enough. Doesn't wander any more. Thats a life saver.

Dave

Sponsored

Vinny2002

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would expect change. There were too many complaints.
I figured ours is good enough. Doesn't wander any more. Thats a life saver.

Dave
Just an update after putting a couple hundred miles on. Software update definitely makes a difference. Much more stable on tight highway lanes in the rain. Even holds its track better in the wind. Lot more enjoyable on the highway.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Just an update after putting a couple hundred miles on. Software update definitely makes a difference. Much more stable on tight highway lanes in the rain. Even holds its track better in the wind. Lot more enjoyable on the highway.
I was not planning on going after the 2nd TSB until you I heard you say it's more stable on the highway in wind and rain. This is my only complaint. At speeds 65+ it can still have a slight "wander" unless the weather is clear.

So the 2nd software update alone made the difference?

Vinny2002

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was not planning on going after the 2nd TSB until you I heard you say it's more stable on the highway in wind and rain. This is my only complaint. At speeds 65+ it can still have a slight "wander" unless the weather is clear.

So the 2nd software update alone made the difference?
Well let’s be honest. We are driving a box. So it’s never great in the wind. But overall I felt the software update alone made an improvement.

Going thru the threads that feedback seems to be consistent. maybe it’s just in our heads. who knows. i’ll take it either way :).

OP
OP

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
See scanned TSB (cleaner version). Dropped off Wrangler today; pickup is tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

Vinny2002

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
htx fo
See scanned TSB (cleaner version). Dropped off Wrangler today; pickup is tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Thx for this... Yup.. Same TSB as me... They didn't change my pitman shaft bolt - but honestly no sure what that could do anyway... Probably just a good idea to change it when apart.

The computer update made the big difference... I can live with it comfortably now... Hope the same for you..let us know.

Sponsored

poncho@home

First Name
Nektar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL, Mustang GT, Street Triple 675R
I'm getting a used 2020 today. How can I check if this TSB has been done?

OP
OP

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
You'd look at the part numbers on the TSB and match to the part numbers on your jeep... They all have white labels with the #'s on them.
With this new TSB version that came out (with a new pitman bolt and software update), I recommend you ask the dealer. The first question: how does it drive, at both medium and highway speeds? Does it wander or have a dead spot at all? Even an inch?

Is it a Jeep dealership? If so, make them do the TSB before buying. If they say it has been done, take a copy of the TSB Version A and ask them review it and do it. And if they say it has been done, tell them this TSB was just issued a few weeks ago with new software.

I hope all goes well. Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas...a new Jeep is a great present!

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
did you have a dead spot ? and if so did it eliminate the damn thing finally ? mine doesnt wander so much its just the dead spot and it varies whether its hot or cold out.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
did you have a damn dead spot in your steering ? mine does, and i just set up an appt with my dealer HOPING this will eliminate that damn dead spot. that or im going to have to figure out how to get to the adjustment screw that has been mentioned elsewhere.....
Sponsored