Sponsored

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2017 Miata Club RF
I just had this done recently and was under my vehicle installing some rock rails today. I noticed that they completely replaced my track bar as well. Everything under my vehicle was covered in mud, except the shiny new track bar. The vehicle steering requires noticeably less attention to go straight.

Any reason they would have replaced it for this TSB? Not that I'm complaining.

Related question; when installing a new track bar, do you need to perform an alignment?
Sponsored

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I donā€™t see you needing an alignment with a tracbar replacement. Itā€™s function is to locate/ keep the axle side to side. If itā€™s driving well and no issues, enjoy it! šŸ‘šŸ»

Last edited:

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I donā€™t see you needing an alignment with a tracbar replacement. Itā€™s function is to locate/ keep the axle side to side. If itā€™s driving well and no issues, enjoy it! šŸ‘šŸ»
Thanks for that info. I was more curious why they would replace the trackbar without telling me, or without it being part of the TSB. But hey free stuff. Either way, the steering is now way way better :)

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for that info. I was more curious why they would replace the trackbar without telling me, or without it being part of the TSB. But hey free stuff. Either way, the steering is now way way better :)
I believe the new TSB has notes about swapping TB first if not completed.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I just had this done recently and was under my vehicle installing some rock rails today. I noticed that they completely replaced my track bar as well. Everything under my vehicle was covered in mud, except the shiny new track bar. The vehicle steering requires noticeably less attention to go straight.

Any reason they would have replaced it for this TSB? Not that I'm complaining.

Related question; when installing a new track bar, do you need to perform an alignment?
If your JL is an early model, it would have a trackbar that had the softer bushings. They revised the trackbar with stiffer bushings. If I recall, the TSB has the technician verify the trackbar is the latest version.

Installing a new trackbar does not require an "alignment" in it's pure sense, because the relationship between the left and right wheels is not affected. But an adjustment of the draglink might be required to center the steering wheel, in some cases.

Sponsored

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You guys rock with all this info and knowledge. Thank you for the explanation, I appreciate it.

Harrybeerbelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tackhawk
Had the TSB done a few months ago, steering had improved but it was only temporary. The loose feeling returned about 2 weeks ago.

Same here. Had it done a few weeks ago and was greatly improved. Now we are back to the same shit. I did check all the fasteners, each one is rock solid tight.

Guess its back to the dealership.

db_racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Saraha
Just gonna chime in with my experience. Have a 2020 Jlu sahara. Noticed from moment I drove off lot that steering wasā€¦ different? Delayed reaction type loose feeling. On way home I noticed it was ping ponging between lanes requiring very attentive steering. Tire pressure was insanely high so lowered to 38ish and steering improved nicely.

Drove for 10000 km never really satisfied with the the steering until first oil change... exhausting on longer higher speed drives. Mentioned steering wander to the service advisor who knew all about the issue with aluminum steering boxes and the new steel ones. He order the parts without any prompting on my behalf.

Took about a month but parts came in and had service done today. Took it for a longish test drive to gather impressions.

Night and day.
Before I had about 1ā€ to 2ā€ dead spot sawing the wheel left to right. All Gone. Now it feels like 1/8ā€ turn and vehicle instantly responds. Soooo much better. Feels precise. Box swap also fixed some bump steer / shudder I was noticing recently.

Would highly recommend for those sitting on the fence wondering if it was worth their time.

Cahlheim

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2019 JLUR, 2013 C63 AMG
Occupation
Technology
Just gonna chime in with my experience. Have a 2020 Jlu sahara. Noticed from moment I drove off lot that steering wasā€¦ different? Delayed reaction type loose feeling. On way home I noticed it was ping ponging between lanes requiring very attentive steering. Tire pressure was insanely high so lowered to 38ish and steering improved nicely.

Drove for 10000 km never really satisfied with the the steering until first oil change... exhausting on longer higher speed drives. Mentioned steering wander to the service advisor who knew all about the issue with aluminum steering boxes and the new steel ones. He order the parts without any prompting on my behalf.

Took about a month but parts came in and had service done today. Took it for a longish test drive to gather impressions.

Night and day.
Before I had about 1ā€ to 2ā€ dead spot sawing the wheel left to right. All Gone. Now it feels like 1/8ā€ turn and vehicle instantly responds. Soooo much better. Feels precise. Box swap also fixed some bump steer / shudder I was noticing recently.

Would highly recommend for those sitting on the fence wondering if it was worth their time.
Thanks for sharing. I am out of warranty and will likely need to buck up and pay the roughly $1,100 out of pocket. That is unless the agent assigned by @JeepCares can help. Fingers crossed.

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for sharing. I am out of warranty and will likely need to buck up and pay the roughly $1,100 out of pocket. That is unless the agent assigned by @JeepCares can help. Fingers crossed.
Did you ever take in for steering concerns prior to warranty expiration? If yes, then it was on record.

Cahlheim

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Technology
Did you ever take in for steering concerns prior to warranty expiration? If yes, then it was on record.
Yep, thatā€™s what I am hoping will be my saving grace. That said I am Metalcloakā€˜ed on 37ā€™sā€¦ so I half expect that they will attribute the wandering to that and say ā€œsorry budā€.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, thatā€™s what I am hoping will be my saving grace. That said I am Metalcloakā€˜ed on 37ā€™sā€¦ so I half expect that they will attribute the wandering to that and say ā€œsorry budā€.
Nah. There is also wording in TSB that states lifted within specs still qualify. Unless your dealer wants to be an a$$ about it. Mine was in warranty but had Mopar lift, aftermarket TBs, aftermarket Fox ATS SS, and 37s and dealer swapped with no questions asked. That was even before TSB mentioned lifts. Good luck man - I know it can be frustrating.

Cahlheim

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Technology
Nah. There is also wording in TSB that states lifted within specs still qualify. Unless your dealer wants to be an a$$ about it. Mine was in warranty but had Mopar lift, aftermarket TBs, aftermarket Fox ATS SS, and 37s and dealer swapped with no questions asked. That was even before TSB mentioned lifts. Good luck man - I know it can be frustrating.
Well, just got the wrangler back and whoa what a difference in steering feel and control. Itā€™s an even more drastic difference than I had hopedā€¦ night and day. My dealer was really gracious about doing the repair out of warranty and asked only that I pay for the alignment. I thought that was very fair as they very well could have told me to go F myself. Super cool of them. I really hope there isnā€™t some sort of regression back to crappy steering, but for the moment I am thrilled with the results.
It is also worth calling out that Kate from @JeepCares was great to deal with.
Sponsored