Sponsored

rutroe

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Eco Diesel
The dealer did just the opposite part number swap for my jeep to correct the steering slop. Went from the “AA“ to the updated part ending in “AB”.
I had 3-4” of steering slop, now only 1” of play.
Was your old box aluminum or steel and was it replaced with a steel box?
Sponsored

clayps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Just watched the Redline Reviews YouTube review of the 392. The reviewer is sawing on the wheel for much of the video and even comments on it but just attributes it to how the Jeep handles naturally. As a new car reviewer I assume they assume the vehicles their given are mechanically correct so i can see why the reviewer wouldn’t call this out as an issue.

FerrdIsTheWord

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just watched the Redline Reviews YouTube review of the 392. The reviewer is sawing on the wheel for much of the video and even comments on it but just attributes it to how the Jeep handles naturally. As a new car reviewer I assume they assume the vehicles their given are mechanically correct so i can see why the reviewer wouldn’t call this out as an issue.

I know we're talking steering here, but the pure joy this guy gets from driving the 392 is amazing!

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR

Makes me feel good about the subtle see sawing of the wheel I do in mine, LOL.

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
I've got a 2019 with the aluminum box. Ive been driving Jeeps for so long maybe I am immune to these idiosyncrasies in the steering. Is this something that I would definitely notice or is it hit and miss by Jeep?

Sponsored

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I've got a 2019 with the aluminum box. Ive been driving Jeeps for so long maybe I am immune to these idiosyncrasies in the steering. Is this something that I would definitely notice or is it hit and miss by Jeep?
It seems to be hit or miss. I think they majority are ok, but a significant amount are bad and some are really bad. Mine was not bad compared to some of them, but much worse than my 2012 JKUS I traded in for it. So I got the TSB performed. Now it is still not car like (I never expected that) but is not dangerous to drive in traffic on bad roads.

Scott

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
No off-roading. 1800 miles of mostly interstate.

Have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning. 👍
Jeep is back from dealer. They have special ordered part number 68507569-AB to replace the existing steering gear. So now I wait.

Just as a reminder: 2021 JLUR with a build date of January 2021.

Sponsored

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
In the video, the driver is continuously moving the steering wheel, as I had to do with my Jeep (AE box) and almost no more after changing the AB box. I also confirm that it's not like a race car, but the steering is finally "normal" for a Jeep.

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Went to dealer to have my steering "inspected " for looseness....definitely seemed to be getting looser with hotter weather etc...
Expected some push- back, but went really well...
Service Mgr. came back about 1hr. later..... says we are going to order new steering box and pitman arm, parts should be available 5-7 days. I received an automated call the next day that stated "the parts are in"...
I have appointment for 07/06/21
Will update after parts are replaced.

LadyJeeper

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Teacher
So I had the TSB done back in August. Whelp, the heat has increased and the play in my steering wheel is dangerous. Also, the electronic stability service light came on. Ugh, back to the dealer I go tomorrow. Anyone had problems after the fix?

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
So I had the TSB done back in August. Whelp, the heat has increased and the play in my steering wheel is dangerous. Also, the electronic stability service light came on. Ugh, back to the dealer I go tomorrow. Anyone had problems after the fix?
This can't be real life

rutroe

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Eco Diesel
You tell me.
Here’s the old one:
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") trim.35044CF3-F431-4806-8688-6EBCBC378A92.MOV

And here’s the NEW ONE:
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") trim.35044CF3-F431-4806-8688-6EBCBC378A92.MOV
Wow, both steel boxes. At least we know those can be crap too. Hope it fixed your problem. It cleared up most of mine but still going to put the Synergy brace and track bar on next weekend.
Sponsored