Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
The dealership needs to go to DealerConnect > Service > Warranty Admin > Vehicle Option Update and have them print the screen for you. Tell them you want it as service record for future sale.
Does my Jeep need to be physically at the dealer for this? My Jeep is getting another box put in today (incorrect part number before) and I again asked the service advisor for this screen (providing the walk through you listed and as is listed in the TSB). This time I was told that they are not able to show the customer anything in DealerConnect, or print it, because it may contain proprietary information.

What I am hoping is that I can continue this discussion with the dealer/Jeep/Stallantis (to verify that the new sales code is applied to my Jeep) after I have picked it up rather than needing it done before leaving the dealer. My experience with this entire process has been less than ideal. Having a Jeep in the shop is never fun, but so far it seems like everything that could go wrong has.
Sponsored

dirtdigr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Dropped my Jeep at the dealer this morning..... We'll see how it goes....

dirtdigr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Wow! Just got a call from the dealer, they agree there is an issue and ordered the parts to cover the TSB. I'm impressed, I was expecting a huge hassle, after reading what so many people have experienced. So Happy, now if they order the correct parts, I'll really be stoked!

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I have my appointment for Wednesday morning. I just bought my Jeep in February and after a cold winter, Saturday was the first day over 70F since I bought it ... now I see what the fuss is about.

quick question to any Canadians who have had it done ... did you have the same part delays as many of those in the US have experienced?

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Well I picked up my Jeep, now with the 2 door steering box. I gotta say it does drive even better than the 4 door box did on it! Shocking. Since I've had a few issues with this dealer not doing the work properly I asked the service advisor about printing up the page showing that the sales code was updated. This time I was initially told that Dealer Connect takes a few days to update, so it's probably still not showing the new code. "Well that sales code should have been added a month ago when the wrong steering box was installed," I says. Service guy blinked at me then said that Dealer Connect has proprietary information on it, they're not allowed to show me anyways. I dunno, I guess I'm an asshole for double checking their work, but yet I find that it's always wrong.

Anywho.... A Jeep Cares rep has been very patient with me through this entire thing. I asked her if she has a way of finding out for me. I know it's fun to hate on Jeep Cares here, but truly I was getting no where with Autonation making this right and they even tried stonewalling my Jeep Cares rep for awhile. I would not want to be on this journey without them.

But ultimately, we're getting close boys! I have a Jeep with correct hardware on it, it drives well, what more can I ask for?

Sponsored

Down South

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
I had mine replaced today. Handels the road better. This is the second 2020 JL that I have had the steering gearbox replaced on. Both cases, the Jeep handled better.

jabtyler

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jlur
I dropped off my Jeep yesterday, today I was told I need to pay for 2 extra hours of labor to replace the steering box because my sector shaft brace makes it so they have to remove the track bar. I told them removing the brace does not take 2 hours, especially because most of the bolts that are holding it, are also the bolts that hold the steering box on. It does not take 2 hours to remove 1 extra bolt. I was told by my service guy that he was going to talk to the service manager and call me back.
A few hours later I got a call and this time I was told that the 2 extra hours was because when they disconnect the track bar my "diff" would shift and they will have to wrestle with it to get the "diff" back in place. that is where the extra 2 hours labor came from. I told them that is ridiculous and the axle will not move enough to require 2 hours of wrestling to be able to bolt the track bar back in. I was then given 15% off. I was also told that on a stock JL the track bar does not need to be removed to replace the steering box.
anyone else having problems like this? it sounds like the service department is double dipping to me.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
If it takes them two hours to get the bolt back in they should look for a new career. Also after pulling the box out of mine several times I don’t see how they could do it without dropping the track bar. The puller they need to use to remove the pitman arm is pretty substantial and I don’t see how it would possibly fit. Let alone be able to torque the nut to 190 with the track bar in the way.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Jwisdom

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Solar consultant
Anyone experience the new steering box already showing signs of wear? TSB was done beginning of Feb, sector shaft is flexing on the new box causing a dead spot again in the wheel. I am running 37's curious if these boxes just aren't going to hold up to bigger tires?

dirtdigr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Wow! Just got a call from the dealer, they agree there is an issue and ordered the parts to cover the TSB. I'm impressed, I was expecting a huge hassle, after reading what so many people have experienced. So Happy, now if they order the correct parts, I'll really be stoked!
Update: Just got a call from the Dealership, the parts for the TSB are in! Made an appointment for tomorrow morning. Hopefully, they got the right parts, but so far I'm impressed. I do want to thank whoever started this thread, I was just ready to live with sloppy steering & call it a Jeep thing.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I dropped off my Jeep yesterday, today I was told I need to pay for 2 extra hours of labor to replace the steering box because my sector shaft brace makes it so they have to remove the track bar. I told them removing the brace does not take 2 hours, especially because most of the bolts that are holding it, are also the bolts that hold the steering box on. It does not take 2 hours to remove 1 extra bolt. I was told by my service guy that he was going to talk to the service manager and call me back.
A few hours later I got a call and this time I was told that the 2 extra hours was because when they disconnect the track bar my "diff" would shift and they will have to wrestle with it to get the "diff" back in place. that is where the extra 2 hours labor came from. I told them that is ridiculous and the axle will not move enough to require 2 hours of wrestling to be able to bolt the track bar back in. I was then given 15% off. I was also told that on a stock JL the track bar does not need to be removed to replace the steering box.
anyone else having problems like this? it sounds like the service department is double dipping to me.
I am far from an expert, but it looks like their track bar is still in place in this video ...

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I am far from an expert, but it looks like their track bar is still in place in this video ...
You can see at about 2.22 in the video the track bar is laying down by axle. It definitely would be in the way and as Jim mentions above not sure how you would get the puller on there. Unless they just beat it off with a sledge :facepalm:
Sponsored