Sponsored

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
The new cast iron steering box came out with the 2021 models, so isn’t one of the two new software updates required to go along with the new steering box?
There is a programming update for the 20’s but they can tell by running the configuration update which is the first step in the programming process. The 18-19 they had to change the sales code to be able to identify it.

LucidDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S V6
For 2020 Wranglers there is no 70F sales code needed per TSB, only needed for 2018 and 2019:

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 1616527215908

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
The only way to verify is to get a print out of the Options Report that indicates it has 70f on it. Takes a dealer less than 5 minutes to hook up the laptop and print it out.
How do I best communicate with my service advisor that I would like to see the Options Report? Is there another name it may go by? I ran it past the service advisor when I picked up my Jeep and was greeted with a blank stare. I told them the software should have been updated and I was told "if that was in the instructions it would have been done." Well the "instructions" also showed which part number to use and they messed that up so I'm not confident that the software was also done correctly.

Sponsored

calvinf1

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU North Edition
How do I best communicate with my service advisor that I would like to see the Options Report? Is there another name it may go by? I ran it past the service advisor when I picked up my Jeep and was greeted with a blank stare. I told them the software should have been updated and I was told "if that was in the instructions it would have been done." Well the "instructions" also showed which part number to use and they messed that up so I'm not confident that the software was also done correctly.

The dealership needs to go to DealerConnect > Service > Warranty Admin > Vehicle Option Update and have them print the screen for you. Tell them you want it as service record for future sale.

LucidDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S V6
I came back from the appointment with the dealership this noon regarding the TSB fix. Of course, when I showed the tech how loose the steering wheel was, he started the usual mantra "It's the Jeep thing". But I politely explained to him that it was a safety issue and it was not good to drive on the highway having to self-correct the steering plus it feels even looser in hot temp here in Florida. He said ok and asked me to wait in the lobby until the test drive on my Wrangler was over. After about 40 minutes or so he came back to me and said that they would need to order the new part for the steering. It was music to my ears and I asked him to double-check that it was indeed the right gearbox Part ID for my 2020 2-door, not the 4-door one. He checked in the system and confirmed that it was. The new part should be here in a week or so but I doubt it would be that fast as many people were waiting for the gearbox to arrive for months! But it's still worth the wait, no doubt about it! Finger crossed they don't mess up anything else in my car and my steering will be better than it is now(knock on wood) :like:

I think they are very well familiar with this TSB as I was definitely not the only Wrangler person who showed up for it and asked for the fix. When I initially asked him if I could give my printed TSB paperwork for his references - he said: "No, not needed". So I knew that they knew.

Will keep updated how it goes...

calvinf1

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU North Edition
I came back from the appointment with the dealership this noon regarding the TSB fix. Of course, when I showed the tech how loose the steering wheel was, he started the usual mantra "It's the Jeep thing". But I politely explained to him that it was a safety issue and it was not good to drive on the highway having to self-correct the steering plus it feels even looser in hot temp here in Florida. He said ok and asked me to wait in the lobby until the test drive on my Wrangler was over. After about 40 minutes or so he came back to me and said that they would need to order the new part for the steering. It was music to my ears and I asked him to double-check that it was indeed the right gearbox Part ID for my 2020 2-door, not the 4-door one. He checked in the system and confirmed that it was. The new part should be here in a week or so but I doubt it would be that fast as many people were waiting for the gearbox to arrive for months! But it's still worth the wait, no doubt about it! Finger crossed they don't mess up anything else in my car and my steering will be better than it is now(knock on wood) :like:

I think they are very well familiar with this TSB as I was definitely not the only Wrangler person who showed up for it and asked for the fix. When I initially asked him if I could give my printed TSB paperwork for his references - he said: "No, not needed". So I knew that they knew.

Will keep updated how it goes...
When I went in for mine initially, i asked them how many customers are ahead of me... told me i was the first one. I got my box 5 days. I went to a different dealer before and they told me 4 people were ahead of me. So I bailed.

clever_pseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLR
Just heard back from my dealer that this TSB doesn't apply to my 20 JLR. I've owned a few jeeps, and most of my cars have had solid front axles, but this is by far the sketchiest handling automobile I've ever driven (excluding an early 70s dump truck that didn't have power steering).

Is there a different TSB for two doors?

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Just heard back from my dealer that this TSB doesn't apply to my 20 JLR. I've owned a few jeeps, and most of my cars have had solid front axles, but this is by far the sketchiest handling automobile I've ever driven (excluding an early 70s dump truck that didn't have power steering).

Is there a different TSB for two doors?
Ask to talk to the service manager. It applies to all 18-20 with a wandering and pull.

Sponsored

clever_pseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLR
Unfortunately, the service manager was the person I spoke to. I'll reach out to Jeep Cares prior to the appointment so that they can forward the appropriate documents.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Unfortunately, the service manager was the person I spoke to. I'll reach out to Jeep Cares prior to the appointment so that they can forward the appropriate documents.
I would ask them to print out the TSB and highlight the area that shows it doesn’t apply to your Jeep. Tell him you would like it so you can forward it to Jeep cares.

Goblue

First Name
Darran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/OB
Occupation
FF/PM
What year is your JL? Did you get a print out that shows they upgraded the software to 70f?
I have a 18 rubi 4dr no I did not I will look to see and let you know...I won't be home for a couple days I will be at work...

LucidDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S V6
I just wonder if someone got charged by the dealer for this TSB repair procedure? I have my appointment this week and when checking the details on the dealer website it says $145 for the service. I thought it would be free of charge as the car is still under warranty. Maybe they are doing something extra along with the steering fix? Any thoughts?

jlgolfcart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini JLRU
I just wonder if someone got charged by the dealer for this TSB repair procedure? I have my appointment this week and when checking the details on the dealer website it says $145 for the service. I thought it would be free of charge as the car is still under warranty. Maybe they are doing something extra along with the steering fix? Any thoughts?
I would call the dealer. I think that would be a charge so the dealer can get paid for doing some work. And not be charging you as long as your vehicle stop under warranty.
Sponsored