Sponsored

jcr97703

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR ( ordered 9/24/19), 2016 Porsche Cayenne, 2017 Audi e-tron
I had mine in for the new steering box about 3 weeks ago. I’ve held off on my reporting my impressions since I wanted to drive it in a variety of conditions and speeds. Overall I notice almost no difference or improvement with the new box. Disappointing for sure, but wondering if it was properly executed with the software update. I don’t see anything on the repair order referencing a software update. Should the software update be a line item on the RO?
Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I had mine in for the new steering box about 3 weeks ago. I’ve held off on my reporting my impressions since I wanted to drive it in a variety of conditions and speeds. Overall I notice almost no difference or improvement with the new box. Disappointing for sure, but wondering if it was properly executed with the software update. I don’t see anything on the repair order referencing a software update. Should the software update be a line item on the RO?
The software update was a line item on my paperwork. I also received a copy of the alignment. I did make sure not to leave the dealership without it.

My steering is still excellent after the TSB was performed. Since Friday, I have driven at highway speeds and rougher dirt roads and I am still satisfied with the results.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yes the dealer service invoice is supposed to indicate the software update was implemented but in my case the invoice said they did but they didn’t. The only way to know for sure is to get a print out of the Options report that has 70f on it. More details earlier in this thread at https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...for-improved-steering-feel.56363/post-1415105

jcr97703

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR ( ordered 9/24/19), 2016 Porsche Cayenne, 2017 Audi e-tron

Moses212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Can those with a JLUR with and without right or left pull or major drift do the following test and report back? Measure the rear tires from the top of the tire to the underside of the fender edge on a flat surface. I was doing some research and it appears that those with a right or left hand pull or drift who have tried everything else, like a steering stabilizer, alignment, etc. have an issue with "squatting" where there body is leaning slightly to the opposite side of the pull by 5/8" or more difference between the rear left and right sides. Thanks for your help. Note that most JLs will have a slight difference in this measurement. The steering pull problem can be caused if the lean is significant enough.
7.5" on both sides, measured in the same spot on each side.
Though in my case, the pull to the right, exactly as described by others, came after the first time I went in for the TSB fix. Also, a four wheel alignment had been done at the same time.
Pull to the right is still there after a second alignment.

Sponsored

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
Sharing an update that might be useful to other people.
I had the TSB performed in September by a dealer who botched it: they reused the old bolts and when I asked them to replace all 5, they replaced just 4. They said they performed all the TSB steps but the Mopar set of screws had a missing screw (strange) and that's why they reused the old ones. Until today I had the suspicion that they might have not performed the software update but I didn't want to go back to the same dealer, as I don't trust them anymore. Also, the car was already tracking pretty straight and the dead spot was minimal (but still there).
Today I went to a dealer with higher reviews for an oil change and asked them to check the options report; they confirmed that the software had not been updated and they did that for free after I told them my story.
Here are the changes I noticed:
  • The dead spot was already minimal, now it's almost zero
  • The car was already tracking pretty straight, only a slight improvement in this regard
  • The steering wheel is less affected by bumps and imperfections of the road
  • Before the update, the steering wheel was very slow at straightening itself after a curve, now it's much faster.
Overall, not a huge difference, but definitely a noticeable one.

Moses212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Sharing an update that might be useful to other people.
I had the TSB performed in September by a dealer who botched it: they reused the old bolts and when I asked them to replace all 5, they replaced just 4. They said they performed all the TSB steps but the Mopar set of screws had a missing screw (strange) and that's why they reused the old ones. Until today I had the suspicion that they might have not performed the software update but I didn't want to go back to the same dealer, as I don't trust them anymore. Also, the car was already tracking pretty straight and the dead spot was minimal (but still there).
Today I went to a dealer with higher reviews for an oil change and asked them to check the options report; they confirmed that the software had not been updated and they did that for free after I told them my story.
Here are the changes I noticed:
  • The dead spot was already minimal, now it's almost zero
  • The car was already tracking pretty straight, only a slight improvement in this regard
  • The steering wheel is less affected by bumps and imperfections of the road
  • Before the update, the steering wheel was very slow at straightening itself after a curve, now it's much faster.
Overall, not a huge difference, but definitely a noticeable one.
Hey, you mention, 'the steering wheel was very slow at straightening itself after a curve, now it's much faster'. That's one of my problems! Not sure if that's a common thing..

calvinf1

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU North Edition
Need some advice. Got my car back today after getting the AB box put in. When I pick it up the dealer didn't provide an option update report and the advisor said they removed the 5SY code but didn't add the 70F code. According to the TSB procedure, it only specifies 2018-2019 years for the 70F code. I have a 2020 and they didn't add that code in although they did say they did the reflash (assuming without the code).

Does anyone have a 2020 and confirmed to have the 70F code?

SmartSelect_20210315-225840_Drive.jpg

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Need some advice. Got my car back today after getting the AB box put in. When I pick it up the dealer didn't provide an option update report and the advisor said they removed the 5SY code but didn't add the 70F code. According to the TSB procedure, it only specifies 2018-2019 years for the 70F code. I have a 2020 and they didn't add that code in although they did say they did the reflash (assuming without the code).

Does anyone have a 2020 and confirmed to have the 70F code?

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") SmartSelect_20210315-225840_Drive
It does not get added on the 20’s they just update to the most current software.

calvinf1

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU North Edition
It does not get added on the 20’s they just update to the most current software.
Since it was not added, the steering still feels like there is the 2 inch deadspot, no steering whining noise and the steering is not tighter than before as other have reported.

@JeepCares : should 2020s get the 70f on the option update?

Sponsored

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Since it was not added, the steering still feels like there is the 2 inch deadspot, no steering whining noise and the steering is not tighter than before as other have reported.

@JeepCares : should 2020s get the 70f on the option update?
They installed the same software, they just don’t change the sales code to 70f, it even states that in the TSB. They can tell by the part number of the software they use. I have confirmed this with one of the FCA engineers in the steering and suspension team. I have a 20 and the new box and have confirmed the software is correct and it still has a dead spot. The 20’s already had the pressure turned up in the system so the pump will not sound louder like in the 18-19.

calvinf1

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU North Edition
They installed the same software, they just don’t change the sales code to 70f, it even states that in the TSB. They can tell by the part number of the software they use. I have confirmed this with one of the FCA engineers in the steering and suspension team. I have a 20 and the new box and have confirmed the software is correct and it still has a dead spot. The 20’s already had the pressure turned up in the system so the pump will not sound louder like in the 18-19.
Thanks bro. This is a disappointment for 2020 owners hoping the get the same results as others that actually made the steering better.

I'm about to go test drive a new 2021 and see how it feels.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Thanks bro. This is a disappointment for 2020 owners hoping the get the same results as others that actually made the steering better.

I'm about to go test drive a new 2021 and see how it feels.
It is very random on what Jeep’s show an improvement and what ones don’t. I think it is still a manufacturing issue, the boxes are all 100% final adjusted by hand, that introduces a lot of variables. I have a second box I got on my own dime and I am going to install it one of these days when I get time.

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Getting my TSB done next week on my 2020 JLUR. Can someone confirm if the list below is everything I need done and/or if I am missing anything. Thanks!

1- gear box part number ending in AB
2- new bolts used and torqued to spec (can someone confirm the specs?)
3- make sure software is flashed/updated to 70F
4- make sure steering fluid is topped off
5- make sure wheel alignment is done.

calvinf1

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU North Edition
Getting my TSB done next week on my 2020 JLUR. Can someone confirm if the list below is everything I need done and/or if I am missing anything. Thanks!

1- gear box part number ending in AB
2- new bolts used and torqued to spec (can someone confirm the specs?)
3- make sure software is flashed/updated to 70F
4- make sure steering fluid is topped off
5- make sure wheel alignment is done.
1. Yes latest box ends in AB
2. The service department will have their detailed procedures in their system that will dictate the torque specs
3. Since your's is a 2020 - the TSB procedure #7 states to skip adding the 70F code. It does say to remove the 5SY code. (I would like to confirm as well to see if your dealers will add it to yours as they didn't do it for mine).
4. Yes
5. Ask for a before/after. Make sure the toe in is within spec. Drive it down the road and see if your steering wheel is centerd (mine is a little bit off center).
Sponsored