Sponsored

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
So I've been complaining about how the new steering box didn't help my dead spot issue. Turns out it was the morons at the service dept at Landmark Dodge in Chamblee, GA. Since I was still having issues, I took my Jeep to a different dealer. Attached is the video the new service guy just sent me. This was how he found the pitman arm nut. Also, keep in mind the bolts for the steering box were only tightened to about 40lbs.

Hey @JeepCares, do something about this dealership's service dept. before they get someone killed.
Holy crap! Not good.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Just a quick heads up to all...

I went in for some service on my wrangler today and mentioned my paperwork from the steering box replacement did not mention the software/power control module update on it.

Sure enough they checked and never did the update when the box was replaced.

Make sure you check your paperwork and ask if this was done. Box alone made it a little better, but now that the software has been updated it’s a lot better.

Gotta love those dealer visits...

Elvis105

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Does anyone know if this applies to 21s also? TSB says 18-20. I just picked up a 21 Willys for my wife and the steering is horrible and it pulls while driving straight.

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
Does anyone know if this applies to 21s also? TSB says 18-20. I just picked up a 21 Willys for my wife and the steering is horrible and it pulls while driving straight.
21’ already has the steel steering box

Sponsored

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
21’ already has the steel steering box
If it were me, I'd crawl under the jeep and double check. You never know what might have slipped into the assembly process.

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
Turns out it was the morons at the service dept at Landmark Dodge in Chamblee, GA. Since I was still having issues, I took my Jeep to a different dealer.
@DHW where did you end up going, I need to get mine done and want to find a friendly dealer!

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Had mine done this week at a local dealer. They did the newest TSB 08-003-21 for the steering. They used the new cast iron part. I cross checked the number with the TSB. They also used the new bolts and appear to have topped the fluid and have done the software update. I say they must have done the software update because my horn chirp with lock setting changed. I checked the work today. The bolts holding the gear box to the frame were tight but not torqued to spec. The pitman arm nut seems tight but I do not have a way to check the torque on it. So far on test drives, it seems to be marginally improved, but it has been cold, and I noticed the most issue this summer after driving a while. Will have to do more road testing.

Sponsored

OP
OP

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
Had mine done this week at a local dealer. They did the newest TSB 08-003-21 for the steering. They used the new cast iron part. I cross checked the number with the TSB. They also used the new bolts and appear to have topped the fluid and have done the software update. I say they must have done the software update because my horn chirp with lock setting changed. I checked the work today. The bolts holding the gear box to the frame were tight but not torqued to spec. The pitman arm nut seems tight but I do not have a way to check the torque on it. So far on test drives, it seems to be marginally improved, but it has been cold, and I noticed the most issue this summer after driving a while. Will have to do more road testing.
Any chance you got a copy of the -003-21 TSB?

If anyone is about to bring their Wrangler in for the steering, maybe you can get a copy to upload for the rest of us? Thanks in advance!

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
So I've been complaining about how the new steering box didn't help my dead spot issue. Turns out it was the morons at the service dept at Landmark Dodge in Chamblee, GA. Since I was still having issues, I took my Jeep to a different dealer. Attached is the video the new service guy just sent me. This was how he found the pitman arm nut. Also, keep in mind the bolts for the steering box were only tightened to about 40lbs.

Hey @JeepCares, do something about this dealership's service dept. before they get someone killed.
Thank you, now I know not to ever go there.

Elvis105

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Any chance you got a copy of the -003-21 TSB?

If anyone is about to bring their Wrangler in for the steering, maybe you can get a copy to upload for the rest of us? Thanks in advance!
I am, talked to a tech today who said it could happen on 21s also depending when they were built. Told me to bring it in this week. I'll see if I can get a copy.

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
Just got home from a couple hundred mile drive. (Steering gear was replaced on thursday). It is a night and day difference on the road; it drives like a dream. Even with a lift and 37" tires, wandering is gone and bumpsteer (and wind drift) seems to no longer "push" the jeep.

Dealerships shouldn't give you too much gruff to replace it as long as you mention that you feel it is a safety issue.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
For those who didn't see an improvement or got worse after the new steering box, this might help:

SUMMARY: Dealer didn't update the steering pump software per the TSB, even though they said they did. To verify, get the specific "Options Report" printout from the dealership that shows either 5SY or 70F for the "Steering Pump & Gear Service Plan", don't trust the dealer service invoice that says they updated the software. Two different dealerships told me it was up to date, even my original steering gear replacement invoice said the software was updated, 3rd dealership showed me it WAS NOT updated on the "Options Report". All slop in the steering wheel is 100% gone after the 3rd dealership updated it to 70F. Finally drives like a Jeep now. I got suspicious because of lack of whining noise when the steering wheel is turned. The software update appears to increase the voltage on the steering pump, causing the whining sound (it isn't obnoxious, just an indicator the steering pump is on/active). In your case, you still might hear the whining noise with the old software, as some on other forums said they heard the whining noise before and after the software update. Point is, verify the software was updated via the options report print out, don't take their word for it.

DETAIL: It is very important to verify that they actually updated the steering pump software from 5SY to 70F via the Options Report not the dealer service invoice. In my case, the new cast iron steering box made some improvement, but not significant. Still had 2" of play, constantly correcting to keep it in lane. Very disappointed after seeing the success stories on this site. The dealership that replaced the steering box with the new cast iron version failed to update the EHPS (step 2 in TSB 08-074-20) and the steering pump software (steps 4 & 5) even though the invoice stated they updated the software. They also failed to replace the track bar for build dates before January 22 2019 (steps 12 & 13). After reading a few steering posts about a whining sound that people are hearing from the steering pump and I didn't hear any whining sound from mine, I started to wonder if they updated the software. I went back to the original dealer, they took it into the shop, said it was up to date. I went to another dealer, paid the hourly minimum charge, they too said it was up to date. I went to a 3rd dealership, and they hooked my JLU up to their service computer / DealerConnect and printed out an "Options Report" that the other two dealerships did not offer. It showed that the "Steering Pump and Gear Service Plan" was 5SY. F**KERS. I new the original dealership that replaced the steering box screwed up due to their attitude when I asked to verify. Note: See JD Powers surveys for the past 10+ years showing Jeep, Ram, Fiat dealers dead last in customer satisfaction. This third dealership updated to the correct steering box software, reprinted it, now it says 70F and ALL of the slop in steering is 100% gone. Point is, GET THE SPECIFIC PRINT OUT THAT SHOWS EITHER 5SY or 70F for the steering pump software. I did some research, but it looks like none of the menus in the radio will show this information. My only clue was the lack of a high pitched sound coming from the steering pump when the steering wheel is turned. You will need someone to turn your steering wheel back and forth while the JL is on and in park while you stand in front on the passenger side (right below the steering pump reservoir). I can now hear the whining sound from the steering pump, and ZERO slack in the steering wheel when driving at any speed.
Sponsored