New JL Steering Gear Box - 68250506AE

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Wow..that thing was $600 when it initially released!
The first revised aluminum box was over $700 online with discounts. I was thinking of getting it, but the people here that got it had mixed results.
Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
no point in buying a part proved as problematic, wait for the steel to be available and have the right one

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
I had the TSB done today - major improvement in the steering, no more fighting the steering wheel. Supposedly the new box has already been revised and I had the latest revision installed today. It was ordered by my dealer on 12/7 and arrived at the dealer on 12/21. My Jeep was the 4th one at the dealer to have the TSB done and I was told my Wrangler needed it a lot more that some of the others.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My steering and box is very close to spot on. Two weeks ago I got a call from FCA. I didn't want to shoot myself in the foot about gettting a better steering box(assumed) and now have an appointment for 1/4/21.
Since the call, I've been reading every thread, on every JL forum about the metal replacement box. I have found no info as to this metal box being superior to the aluminum, if the aluminum is in spec and functioning properly. I've found nothing about better internal improvements. Some folks speculate the aluminum box is inferior as to heat and expansion. If that was so, all the alum. boxes would have an issue and they do not. The replacement metal boxes are working better for folks with bad alum. units and they are cheaper for FCA and thats it.
I am canceling my change out. If/when my alum. S.B. loosens up, I will replace it myself for a $250. metal box (because I'm cheap)and move on.

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Aluminum is metal.

The new box is stated as "steel" in the TSB. Possibly, but more likely it's cast iron. Both are metal as well.
Sponsored