Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I’m sorry to say this but.....

”hers is one of the few with the old steering box that doesn’t not have a problem”........

I believe that you have it backwards. I believe that She is one of the majority with the old steering box that do not have a problem. Yes, “some“ folks with the old box had a problem and this new box seem to fix it “most” of the time. But to suggest that of the 700,000 JL on the road that only a “few” have no steering issues is likely not correct. Were it correct, there would be a NHTSA recall not just a TSB.
I too have a Recon - before and after the lift it tracks and steers pretty good. Based on the comments on this board I don’t think I would gain anything by swapping it out and I might ruin what is already working.
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I too have a Recon - before and after the lift it tracks and steers pretty good. Based on the comments on this board I don’t think I would gain anything by swapping it out and I might ruin what is already working.
Bingo.
there are clearly “some” folks who had significant steering problems. But, to categorize those with steering problems as the majority is likely not accurate. A “few“ of the 700,000 Jeep JLs have no problems? Hardly. But I would agree that a “few’ of the 700,000 JLs did/do have a steering problem that this new box “mostly” seems to fix.

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
I had an appointment for tomorrow to have my steering checked for replacement. I just received an email from the dealership stating that FCA has said to go ahead and do the repair for those who complain about it. This is for the Wrangler and Gladiator. The email stated that the parts have been ordered specifically for my Wrangler and are scheduled for arrival on 11/2. Sounds good to me. I found the steering at highway speeds to be very tiring and am looking forward to a possible solution.

J-Gator

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara with Power Top
I have a 2020 and this is my first Wrangler. The steering has some play and doesn't re-center itself but not at a level that makes me feel unsafe or I can't drive.

Is it worth having the steering box replaced since I plan on owning it for a long time and if the new one is an improvement? Besides bad workmanship - any concerns doing it?

Jcaan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Sahara
Good news: The new steering box was installed on my JL.
Bad news: The day after installation and after 8 death wobbles, I took the JL back to the dealer.

Not sure whether the steering box is defective or not properly installed.

My car is stock; not a single upgrade.

Sponsored

Simann

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Good news: The new steering box was installed on my JL.
Bad news: The day after installation and after 8 death wobbles, I took the JL back to the dealer.

Not sure whether the steering box is defective or not properly installed.

My car is stock; not a single upgrade.

If they replaced the steering stabilizer at the same time as your steering gearbox, you can have them or yourself cycle the steering while parked about 10-15 times left and right (lock to lock) to "prime" it.

OE style monotube stabilizers have a pressurized chamber at one end that can often push steering to one side or the other. One theory from my local dealer is the OE stabilizers oil is aerating, decreasing overall performance of the stabilizer to absorb slow and fast lateral loads, those loads are distributed to the rest of the steering system and inducing "death wobble."

It was only after my third (I think) OE steering stabilizer replacement, the dealership told me they did this lock to lock prime, after that, I had no more death wobble. After installing my FOX stabilizer, priming it, I have had absolutely ZERO death wobble, even with the lift and 37" tires. FOX obviously uses a better shock design, keeping the gas and oil chambers entirely separate, the aluminum body dissipates heat better and with using better oil, this all decreases likelihood of aeration (and possible cavitation of the internal seals.)

Again, obviously the gearboxes are a pretty significant issue, but if you guys are still having wandering steering after a new gearbox, get a new stabilizer, prime it and see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

Jcaan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Sahara
If they replaced the steering stabilizer at the same time as your steering gearbox, you can have them or yourself cycle the steering while parked about 10-15 times left and right (lock to lock) to "prime" it.

OE style monotube stabilizers have a pressurized chamber at one end that can often push steering to one side or the other. One theory from my local dealer is the OE stabilizers oil is aerating, decreasing overall performance of the stabilizer to absorb slow and fast lateral loads, those loads are distributed to the rest of the steering system and inducing "death wobble."

It was only after my third (I think) OE steering stabilizer replacement, the dealership told me they did this lock to lock prime, after that, I had no more death wobble. After installing my FOX stabilizer, priming it, I have had absolutely ZERO death wobble, even with the lift and 37" tires. FOX obviously uses a better shock design, keeping the gas and oil chambers entirely separate, the aluminum body dissipates heat better and with using better oil, this all decreases likelihood of aeration (and possible cavitation of the internal seals.)

Again, obviously the gearboxes are a pretty significant issue, but if you guys are still having wandering steering after a new gearbox, get a new stabilizer, prime it and see if that makes a difference.
Thanks, I did buy the fox stabilizer a month ago. However, I want them to deal with the issue. I want to avoid giving them and excuse and hear them say: YOU VOIDED the WARRANTY WHEN INSTALLING AFTER MARKET PARTS. it happened before.

Again thanks for the suggestion and I am glad the Fox stabilizer fixed your DW.

BTW, the parts where not replaced during the same visit. The stabilizer was installed last year. The steering box just last week.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If they replaced the steering stabilizer at the same time as your steering gearbox, you can have them or yourself cycle the steering while parked about 10-15 times left and right (lock to lock) to "prime" it. After my third (I think) OE steering stabilizer install, the dealership told me they did this specifically, after that, I had no more death wobble. After installing my FOX stabilizer, priming it, I have had absolutely ZERO death wobble, even with the lift and 37" tires.
One often overlooked component when diagnosing steering looseness and DW is the trackbar. I changed my trackbar to a heavy SteerSmarts with poly bushings and it tightened the steering significantly. The stock trackbar was allowing the axle assembly to move laterally. Any steering input just displaced the body/axle until the soft rubber bushings compressed enough and trackbar bent enough to get to enough force to change the steering angle of the knuckles. I verified this by moving the steering wheel within the "dead band", at highway speed, and holding it there. After a second or so, the vehicle steered that direction. That told me something was "springing". The obvious component is the trackbar. (edit: A while back, FCA released a revised trackbar. My understanding was that the bushings were harder)

Later, I tightened the steering box (measurably reduced play), then changed the tierod and draglink to heavy duty SteerSmarts parts (no steering improvement, but strong). I drove it for a while without a steering damper at speeds to 80+ mph and hit bumps. There was no sign of DW even without a damper.

I still have about 1/2" of dead band at highway speeds, that I couldn't adjust out of the old 18 steering box. Waiting to hear how the new cast iron box performs. I see they drastically reduced the price to something like 1/3rd of what the old aluminum box was. I found it for about $265 online. That sounds like their selling it for their cost to manufacture and inventory it. Maybe they're hoping guys like me will just buy it instead of complaining to NHTSA for a recall.

Simann

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
One often overlooked component when diagnosing steering looseness and DW is the trackbar. I changed my trackbar to a heavy SteerSmarts with poly bushings and it tightened the steering significantly. The stock trackbar was allowing the axle assembly to move laterally. Any steering input just displaced the body/axle until the soft rubber bushings compressed enough and trackbar bent enough to get to enough force to change the steering angle of the knuckles. I verified this by moving the steering wheel within the "dead band", at highway speed, and holding it there. After a second or so, the vehicle steered that direction. That told me something was "springing". The obvious component is the trackbar. (edit: A while back, FCA released a revised trackbar. My understanding was that the bushings were harder)

Later, I tightened the steering box (measurably reduced play), then changed the tierod and draglink to heavy duty SteerSmarts parts (no steering improvement, but strong). I drove it for a while without a steering damper at speeds to 80+ mph and hit bumps. There was no sign of DW even without a damper.

I still have about 1/2" of dead band at highway speeds, that I couldn't adjust out of the old 18 steering box. Waiting to hear how the new cast iron box performs. I see they drastically reduced the price to something like 1/3rd of what the old aluminum box was. I found it for about $265 online. That sounds like their selling it for their cost to manufacture and inventory it. Maybe they're hoping guys like me will just buy it instead of complaining to NHTSA for a recall.
Fantastic info! The track bar is on my "to do" list, just have not got around to it yet.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Waiting to hear how the new cast iron box performs. I see they drastically reduced the price to something like 1/3rd of what the old aluminum box was. I found it for about $265 online. That sounds like their selling it for their cost to manufacture and inventory it.
They've reduced the new iron box price to $265? Do you have a link for that?

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
You need these bolts too.
06513396AA (pkg of 4)

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You need these bolts too.
06513396AA (pkg of 4)
I'm still not so incredibly dissatisfied with my aluminum steering box to go fight the dealership. I also still haven't tried to dial .5'' out of the 1.5'' or whatever play I have. It really doesn't bother me due to the assist coming on slightly off center.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
if you’re pleased with the responsiveness don’t mess with it. Wait until the rush is over and these are back in stock.
Many people are on a long waiting list...and many have tried to order these themself on line only to find that while you can buy them, they will end up shown as back ordered till some unknown date.
Sponsored