1JeepDad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Sarge Green
Hi All,

I picked up my 2020 Recon two weeks ago and the steering is perfect.

Driving back home from the Northwest, 85+ mph interstate was one finger easy. The steering also has a nice weightiness to it.

I was under the Jeep over the weekend and snapped a few pics of the LCA's and steering box, looking to get part #'s.

Here's the steering box on mine, it's the new part number. This sure sounds like Jeep finally getting the steering corrected.
IMG_8433.JPG

-Steven
If its the one, why is it aluminum??
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Not all aluminum boxes are wonky, it's really a crap shoot. Yes, there is a newer aluminum box and you will see it on newer Jeeps but the cast iron box is not being used in production and is only being used as a fix for people with problems.
My FCA rep wanted feedback on my wife's and I said it's amazing and I want mine replaced to and he said no problem.

Paulocon

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler jlur
Hi All,

I picked up my 2020 Recon two weeks ago and the steering is perfect.

Driving back home from the Northwest, 85+ mph interstate was one finger easy. The steering also has a nice weightiness to it.

I was under the Jeep over the weekend and snapped a few pics of the LCA's and steering box, looking to get part #'s.

Here's the steering box on mine, it's the new part number. This sure sounds like Jeep finally getting the steering corrected.
IMG_8433.JPG

-Steven
I’m seeing on other thread that the new steering box is black... yours is like mine and it seems like it’s the old one...

Im confused now

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Gear Box - 68250506AE 693AD26D-5594-4A98-8F04-819573ED586E

E2B3199E-3707-4175-AE72-1FC6530FD6DF.png

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
That's the confusion. It now sounds to me that Jeep's latest fix is the steel steering gear.

My part #
I’m seeing on other thread that the new steering box is black... yours is like mine and it seems like it’s the old one...

Im confused now

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Gear Box - 68250506AE E2B3199E-3707-4175-AE72-1FC6530FD6DF

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Gear Box - 68250506AE E2B3199E-3707-4175-AE72-1FC6530FD6DF
This is confusing! Here's what I've been able to understand after reading a few threads.

It seems that Jeep is still building the 2020 Jeeps with the aluminum steering gear. From what I see in another post, 2021's are coming in with a new steel steering gear.

If you've got a problem with your steering, it gets replaced with the new black steel steering gear, pat # P68507569AA Is this what everyone is taking from the info?

Here's a link to the other thread I pulled the part number from: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...d-steering-gear-box-from-tsb-08-074-20.57466/

-Steven

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's the confusion. It now sounds to me that Jeep's latest fix is the steel steering gear.

My part #

This is confusing! Here's what I've been able to understand after reading a few threads.

It seems that Jeep is still building the 2020 Jeeps with the aluminum steering gear. From what I see in another post, 2021's are coming in with a new steel steering gear.

If you've got a problem with your steering, it gets replaced with the new black steel steering gear, pat # P68507569AA Is this what everyone is taking from the info?

Here's a link to the other thread I pulled the part number from: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...d-steering-gear-box-from-tsb-08-074-20.57466/

-Steven
I think that's right. The original box was aluminum and if I remember correctly there was also an updated aluminum box.
Then they decided to go to cast iron, which is the latest and greatest. The FCA rep told me they were talking about putting it in the new Jeeps being built but I got the impression from him that decision hadn't been made yet but obviously it has since they are showing up on dealer's lots.
I talked with a few techs and they all were shaking their head at the idea of using aluminum in the first place.
This is where engineers take stupid pills but we can't only fault them. They are constantly being beaten on by the government to get better mpg and we all know that lighter vehicles get better mpg. So you start trying to make everything lighter and do stupid stuff like making parts lighter that don't do well when being built with aluminum. Voila... $hitty steering. OK I'm off my soapbox now :)

Sponsored

MrFenderpicks

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Well this is rather annoying,
I cant seem to find a dealer that is willing to perform this TSB
Even tho the JL only have 300 Miles, that was purchased last Wendesday!

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Try reaching out to JeepCares. I believe they are on this forum.

-Steven

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
yours is still the old box. The number on it ends with AE it’s like the 3rd generation aluminum box. New steel box ends with AA

MMalone

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara 4XE White
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
This just not right, TBS is out. If parts available, fixed the Damn problem as TBS states. I too was denied

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
I am not knocking Jeep when I say this. However, certain things in this world should never be made of aluminum. Steering components are one of those items. I understand trying to save weight and increase fuel efficiency. I understand trying to reduce cost. However, certain things should just never be made from aluminum.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Dang... it really seems like a 50/50 crap shoot with this new box.

My buddy just got his done and he called me on the way home from the dealer. He said what I mistake it was to get the new box. His dead spot has grown and now the Jeep pulls to the left. He noted it does turn easier but his old box didn't have that large of a dead spot and never pulled.

What a mess, I personally regret getting mine done since now my steering is meh and my steering pump sings like a banshee. Fortunately they are going to replace the pump to see if that quiets it down. My wife's Jeep on the other hand was a slam dunk in terms of it feeling great now.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
My wife drives a 2020 Recon, which has the silver box. I just asked her again if it wanders at all at highway speed. This is probably about the 5th time I've asked, because I always bring it up when I read one of these threads.

Judging by her reply, I think she's starting to get annoyed by me asking so I will stop doing it. Apparently, hers is one of the few with the old steering box that does not have a problem with it and I guess we will leave it go at that.

Brewha021470

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 4 dr
Got mine done today, and it is really is a noticeable improvement. Took the dealer 2 weeks to get parts and 2 hours to install. Very happy. I initially went in let the know I had a wandering issue and a wobble at higher speeds. They had a tech drive it and got the parts ordered in less than 30 minutes.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
My wife drives a 2020 Recon, which has the silver box. I just asked her again if it wanders at all at highway speed. This is probably about the 5th time I've asked, because I always bring it up when I read one of these threads.

Judging by her reply, I think she's starting to get annoyed by me asking so I will stop doing it. Apparently, hers is one of the few with the old steering box that does not have a problem with it and I guess we will leave it go at that.
I’m sorry to say this but.....

”hers is one of the few with the old steering box that doesn’t not have a problem”........

I believe that you have it backwards. I believe that She is one of the majority with the old steering box that do not have a problem. Yes, “some“ folks with the old box had a problem and this new box seem to fix it “most” of the time. But to suggest that of the 700,000 JL on the road that only a “few” have no steering issues is likely not correct. Were it correct, there would be a NHTSA recall not just a TSB.
Sponsored