New JL Steering Gear Box - 68250506AE

Simann

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Wandering has little to nothing to do with the stabilizer.
Well that's a bullshit comment if i've ever read one!

Ever driven a solid front axle with a blown steering stabilizer? I have, just replaced one on my fathers LJ....
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
picked mine up from dealer yesterday and they did literally nothing. Called me an hour after I dropped it off to tell me “all the original steering linkage is tight and in working order”.

I asked specifically what they checked. They said sway bar links and something else I wasn’t familiar with. Said the track bar, drag link, tie rod, and stabilizer were not factory so they could not check those.

I asked about steering box. They said “it’s fine”. I asked about newer version of box and they told me it didn’t apply to my VIN. I asked about ball joints and they said those are fine. I’m fairly confident they didn’t check either of those things.

also based on mileage, I’m fairly certain they didn’t even drive it prior to calling me.

I asked if there was anything wrong with the aftermarket linkage. They said they aren’t able to check those and to talk to my installer. I asked how they would diagnose a problem on a 10 year old Jeep and they said they can’t and aren’t set up for that.

what does the dealer service department do?

they told me to pound sand on 2 other warranty items. I have an oil leak on my valve covers and they notes “engine appears to have been detailed and likely detailing spray”. Also requested that they update the computer for the AC randomly blowing hot air. I even gave them the service bulletin and they told me that bulletin doesn’t apply to my VIN even though I’m having the same symptoms.
So you have non-factory parts and you are unhappy they didn't check those? And they can't replace factory parts unless they are tied to your VIN or they may not get reimbursed for it. They have to follow Jeep requirements. A new part number doesn't necessarily mean an improvement but could indicate a new provider.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So you have non-factory parts and you are unhappy they didn't check those? And they can't replace factory parts unless they are tied to your VIN or they may not get reimbursed for it. They have to follow Jeep requirements. A new part number doesn't necessarily mean an improvement but could indicate a new provider.
ha. So no, I was not expecting them to "check" the non-factory parts. I was expecting them to diagnose the problem. I'm just amazed they don't do that. They aren't really a service department but rather an OEM parts distributor and installer. I guess I've just never dealt with that from other manufacturers.

Their comment when I dropped it off was that the first thing they are prescribed to do for "bad steering" is to replace the steering stabilizer but I have an after market one so they can't. Its like they hit the end of the flow chart and stopped.

What if the problem is a bad aftermarket part? Lets say that even though I have checked the track bar 101 times, that there is excessive play in the track bar bushing that is 2000 miles old. If they had told me that, I would have gladly thanked them for their help, paid for their diagnostic fee and inquired about what they recommend I do for a track bar on a lifted vehicle with 37" tires that they installed.

I don't know man. I'm not a mechanic. Apparently they aren't either. I've tried everything. Jeep used to drive fine and now is super squirrelly. I'm driving 2.5 hours next thursday to have an off-road shop look at it because I don't know who else to see. I'd love if someone would explain to me how to check a steering box for "proper slack". And if FCA isn't doing anything, I might as well rip out the steering and replace with PSC kit because they won't warranty it anyway, so what am I out? I'm sure somehow adding a pulley on the belt will be the cause of my valve cover oil leak. haha.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You don't get it - you modify the steering/suspension it then can impact the whole system and it is your problem to resolve. Take it back to who did the work and have them figure it out. Not Jeep's or the dealer's responsibilty. They don't know the products installed, or the impact and if they told you something wrong then you might try to hold them accountable.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
This.

If all of the components on the front end or in good working order and properly attached you should be able to remove your stabilizer and drive down the road without a problem.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Well that's a bullshit comment if i've ever read one!

Ever driven a solid front axle with a blown steering stabilizer? I have, just replaced one on my fathers LJ....
Lol. Yes I have. If you have your suspension and steering dialed in you don't hardly even need a stabilizer. In fact many people go without them. Steering stabilizers don't fix anything, they just mask problems.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
This.

If all of the components on the front end or in good working order and properly attached you should be able to remove your stabilizer and drive down the road without a problem.
This. I always set up my suspension/steering/alignment and test drive before installing the stabilizer to make sure I have it dialed in.

Simann

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
This.

Well, in respect to the TSB/recall regarding OE steering stabilizers and steering gear boxes not functioning properly, its safe to say that some JL's are not in good working order, even sitting on the dealer lot.

I, for one, can attest to the effect a poorly functioning stabilizer has on the steering as I had a total of 3 (three) OE stabilizers replaced within 3 months. Wandering, steering kick back and "death wobble" were all major symptoms my truck had of a poorly functioning stabilizer. To suggest anyone could remove a component of their steering system and somehow maintain all normal driving characteristics in all driving conditions is quite frankly, irresponsible.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I, for one, can attest to the effect a poorly functioning stabilizer has on the steering as I had a total of 3 (three) OE stabilizers replaced within 3 months. Wandering, steering kick back and "death wobble" were all major symptoms my truck had of a poorly functioning stabilizer. To suggest anyone could remove a component of their steering system and somehow maintain all normal driving characteristics in all driving conditions is quite frankly, irresponsible.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, honestly, but a steering stabilizer (especially the stock one) is nothing more than a damper, a shock absorber. There is absolutely no way it can cause death wobble, none, so I'm throwing the BS flag on that. Your mechanics fixed something else while they were under there and didn't think to mention it, probably out of embarrasement.

Sponsored

Simann

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I'm not trying to be argumentative, honestly, but a steering stabilizer (especially the stock one) is nothing more than a damper, a shock absorber. There is absolutely no way it can cause death wobble, none, so I'm throwing the BS flag on that. Your mechanics fixed something else while they were under there and didn't think to mention it, probably out of embarrasement.

No one is debating on what a steering stabilizer is, so you can check that argument at the door. My issue is when people like yourself are so resolute in your shady-tree-mechanic opinion in causality and simultaneously attempting to diminish the value of individuals experiences who have experienced the issues. In your attempt to idealize your opinion, you've chastised my local dealership and discredited the professionalism of the service workers who have been nothing but absolutely transparent on all issues with me.

Look, the stabilizer is there for a reason, if they were truly useless, like some of you are suggesting, I am sure manufacturers would find a way to have engineers eliminate them as they are a significant cost, especially when multiplied over millions of units. But the fact of the matter is they are a integral part of the solid axle steering system. And when the conditions are right with road imperfections a plenty, if you don't have steering stabilizer to dampen the high speed lateral loads to the front wheels, it will be painfully clear how beneficial it truly is.

The real problem i'm seeing here is peoples interpretation of what "normal operation" is. Because I've seen some real shit boxes running around, driven by people who are so accustomed to how horribly their vehicle drives that they have no real concept of what "properly functioning" feels like.

In the end, clearly Jeep identified a problem, isolated it to a specific lot of faulty steering dampers, and released a recall to replace them. When my truck was deflecting wildly after hitting bumps in the road, exhibiting reproducible death wobble riding over the same train tracks at the same speed, and the resolution of those symptoms after multiple steering dampers were replaced by the same tech at the same dealership, its quite obvious why I developed a profound appreciation for what the little part does.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
No one is debating on what a steering stabilizer is, so you can check that argument at the door. My issue is when people like yourself are so resolute in your shady-tree-mechanic opinion in causality and simultaneously attempting to diminish the value of individuals experiences who have experienced the issues. In your attempt to idealize your opinion, you've chastised my local dealership and discredited the professionalism of the service workers who have been nothing but absolutely transparent on all issues with me.

Look, the stabilizer is there for a reason, if they were truly useless, like some of you are suggesting, I am sure manufacturers would find a way to have engineers eliminate them as they are a significant cost, especially when multiplied over millions of units. But the fact of the matter is they are a integral part of the solid axle steering system. And when the conditions are right with road imperfections a plenty, if you don't have steering stabilizer to dampen the high speed lateral loads to the front wheels, it will be painfully clear how beneficial it truly is.

The real problem i'm seeing here is peoples interpretation of what "normal operation" is. Because I've seen some real shit boxes running around, driven by people who are so accustomed to how horribly their vehicle drives that they have no real concept of what "properly functioning" feels like.

In the end, clearly Jeep identified a problem, isolated it to a specific lot of faulty steering dampers, and released a recall to replace them. When my truck was deflecting wildly after hitting bumps in the road, exhibiting reproducible death wobble riding over the same train tracks at the same speed, and the resolution of those symptoms after multiple steering dampers were replaced by the same tech at the same dealership, its quite obvious why I developed a profound appreciation for what the little part does.
OK, wow!
Sponsored