Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
If I want to check which version I have, where is it stamped or located? I have a JLUR that was made approximately March of 2019. Goes I’m for service tomorrow and trying to see if my box is the most current or if there is a newer model.
Sponsored

Simann

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Did the new steering box address the wandering issue we all see?
I would think the wandering would be from a failing steering stabilizer (damper). At least, thats the cheapest and easiest fix anyone should do. And given the recall, and how many OE stabilizers I went through to get one that wasn't already bad off the shelf, its a safe bet the replacement stabilizer was just as crappy as the original failing one. :LOL:

First I have heard of the steering gearboxes going out. Must be a sticky I missed!

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Did the new steering box address the wandering issue we all see?
This post is a year old.

if you have a 2020, you Likely have the new box. I have a 2020 and it drivers perfectly. Zero issues.

that said, others on this board who also drive 2020’s report problems.

Therefore, if you believe the members who have a 2020 and continue to report problems, the answer is “no, this box did not fix the problem.”

on the other hand, I and many others on this board have ‘18s, ‘19s, and ’20s all with various versions of this box and have no issues.

my advice is that if your Jeep is all over the road at freeway speeds on a wind-less day and has been from the day you purchased it, go talk to your dealer about installing the new box. but, it the steering is fine, don’t touch anything.

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Hi All,

I picked up my 2020 Recon two weeks ago and the steering is perfect.

Driving back home from the Northwest, 85+ mph interstate was one finger easy. The steering also has a nice weightiness to it.

I was under the Jeep over the weekend and snapped a few pics of the LCA's and steering box, looking to get part #'s.

Here's the steering box on mine, it's the new part number. This sure sounds like Jeep finally getting the steering corrected.
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Gear Box - 68250506AE IMG_8433.JPG

-Steven

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I traded in my 19 for a 20 about a week ago. Never had a problem with my 19 and it felt fine to me, but the 20 is definitely better. The steering is surprisingly heavier with a lot less of a deadzone.

Last edited:

Sponsored

shicken562

First Name
Efrain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Firecracker Red
Occupation
Service Dispatcher
I traded in my 19 for a 20 about a week ago. Never had a problem with my 19 and it felt fine to me, but the 20 is definitely better. The steering is surprisingly heavier with a lot less of a deadzone.
My cousin just recently picked-up a 2020 Rubi Gladiator and he let me take it for a spin & right off the back his steering felt way much better than mine, exactly as you described. I'm hoping they finally release some recall on this concern.

Cmarr22

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
This post is a year old.

if you have a 2020, you Likely have the new box. I have a 2020 and it drivers perfectly. Zero issues.

that said, others on this board who also drive 2020’s report problems.

Therefore, if you believe the members who have a 2020 and continue to report problems, the answer is “no, this box did not fix the problem.”

on the other hand, I and many others on this board have ‘18s, ‘19s, and ’20s all with various versions of this box and have no issues.

my advice is that if your Jeep is all over the road at freeway speeds on a wind-less day and has been from the day you purchased it, go talk to your dealer about installing the new box. but, it the steering is fine, don’t touch anything.
Thanks for the info. I drive an 18 jlu. Definitely will be talking to my dealer soon.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I would think the wandering would be from a failing steering stabilizer (damper). At least, thats the cheapest and easiest fix anyone should do. And given the recall, and how many OE stabilizers I went through to get one that wasn't already bad off the shelf, its a safe bet the replacement stabilizer was just as crappy as the original failing one. :LOL:

First I have heard of the steering gearboxes going out. Must be a sticky I missed!
Wandering has little to nothing to do with the stabilizer.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Hi All,

Driving back home from the Northwest, 85+ mph interstate was one finger easy. The steering also has a nice weightiness to it.

I was under the Jeep over the weekend and snapped a few pics of the LCA's and steering box, looking to get part #'s.

Here's the steering box on mine, it's the new part number. This sure sounds like Jeep finally getting the steering corrected.

-Steven
Can I have it? Mine drives like absolute garbage, I get followed by cops because they think im drunk or on my phone its all over the road haha

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Hi All,

-Steven
Like you. My 2020 Recon, lifted with 315/70/17 is one finger driving st high speeds unless windy. I feel very fortunate.

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
picked mine up from dealer yesterday and they did literally nothing. Called me an hour after I dropped it off to tell me “all the original steering linkage is tight and in working order”.

I asked specifically what they checked. They said sway bar links and something else I wasn’t familiar with. Said the track bar, drag link, tie rod, and stabilizer were not factory so they could not check those.

I asked about steering box. They said “it’s fine”. I asked about newer version of box and they told me it didn’t apply to my VIN. I asked about ball joints and they said those are fine. I’m fairly confident they didn’t check either of those things.

also based on mileage, I’m fairly certain they didn’t even drive it prior to calling me.

I asked if there was anything wrong with the aftermarket linkage. They said they aren’t able to check those and to talk to my installer. I asked how they would diagnose a problem on a 10 year old Jeep and they said they can’t and aren’t set up for that.

what does the dealer service department do?

they told me to pound sand on 2 other warranty items. I have an oil leak on my valve covers and they notes “engine appears to have been detailed and likely detailing spray”. Also requested that they update the computer for the AC randomly blowing hot air. I even gave them the service bulletin and they told me that bulletin doesn’t apply to my VIN even though I’m having the same symptoms.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
@Halstem1

reach out to @JeepCares They might be able to help here.

if they can‘t help, I would just suggest that you go find a different dealer who actually seems to care. FCA’s dealer network is frankly terrible and FCA should be ashamed.

that said, there are a few very good dealers out there. Unfortunately you may need to hunt for them among the hoards of shit ones. In major cities there may be one or two good ones among 10 who suck. . In your more rural location they might be harder To find and a bit more far afield.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Halstem1

reach out to @JeepCares They might be able to help here.

if they can‘t help, I would just suggest that you go find a different dealer who actually seems to care. FCA’s dealer network is frankly terrible and FCA should be ashamed.

that said, there are a few very good dealers out there. Unfortunately you may need to hunt for them among the hoards of shit ones. In major cities there may be one or two good ones among 10 who suck. . In your more rural location they might be harder To find and a bit more far afield.
Thanks! I have a PM started with Jeep cares. I need to send them a detailed message today with my service details and outcome. Unsure if that goes anywhere though. I am curious how to find these service focused dealers. In the Midwest, the Jeep dealers tend to be awful and basically just vehicle and parts distributors.

Comparably, my family and I have owned several Chevrolet’s that were purchased from one of the nations largest dealers and never had a problem like this. They would always do “the right thing” for the customer. But every Jeep I’ve owned, the response has been similar. Just normally they were cosmetic things and not actual safety concerns.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks! I have a PM started with Jeep cares. I need to send them a detailed message today with my service details and outcome. Unsure if that goes anywhere though. I am curious how to find these service focused dealers. In the Midwest, the Jeep dealers tend to be awful and basically just vehicle and parts distributors.

Comparably, my family and I have owned several Chevrolet’s that were purchased from one of the nations largest dealers and never had a problem like this. They would always do “the right thing” for the customer. But every Jeep I’ve owned, the response has been similar. Just normally they were cosmetic things and not actual safety concerns.
Hi @Halstem1
We have responded to your private message. Please continue working with us there in order to avoid missed communication. Thank you!

Kathryn
JeepCares

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi @Halstem1
We have responded to your private message. Please continue working with us there in order to avoid missed communication. Thank you!

Kathryn
JeepCares
Will do. Thank you for the response.
Sponsored