New JL Steering Gear Box - 68250506AE

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I’m sorry to say this but.....

”hers is one of the few with the old steering box that doesn’t not have a problem”........

I believe that you have it backwards. I believe that She is one of the majority with the old steering box that do not have a problem. Yes, “some“ folks with the old box had a problem and this new box seem to fix it “most” of the time. But to suggest that of the 700,000 JL on the road that only a “few” have no steering issues is likely not correct. Were it correct, there would be a NHTSA recall not just a TSB.
I too have a Recon - before and after the lift it tracks and steers pretty good. Based on the comments on this board I don’t think I would gain anything by swapping it out and I might ruin what is already working.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I too have a Recon - before and after the lift it tracks and steers pretty good. Based on the comments on this board I don’t think I would gain anything by swapping it out and I might ruin what is already working.
Bingo.
there are clearly “some” folks who had significant steering problems. But, to categorize those with steering problems as the majority is likely not accurate. A “few“ of the 700,000 Jeep JLs have no problems? Hardly. But I would agree that a “few’ of the 700,000 JLs did/do have a steering problem that this new box “mostly” seems to fix.

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
I had an appointment for tomorrow to have my steering checked for replacement. I just received an email from the dealership stating that FCA has said to go ahead and do the repair for those who complain about it. This is for the Wrangler and Gladiator. The email stated that the parts have been ordered specifically for my Wrangler and are scheduled for arrival on 11/2. Sounds good to me. I found the steering at highway speeds to be very tiring and am looking forward to a possible solution.

J-Gator

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara with Power Top
I have a 2020 and this is my first Wrangler. The steering has some play and doesn't re-center itself but not at a level that makes me feel unsafe or I can't drive.

Is it worth having the steering box replaced since I plan on owning it for a long time and if the new one is an improvement? Besides bad workmanship - any concerns doing it?

Advertisement

Extreme Terrain

Advertisement