New JL Steering Gear Box - 68250506AE

1JeepDad

First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Sarge Green
Hi All,

I picked up my 2020 Recon two weeks ago and the steering is perfect.

Driving back home from the Northwest, 85+ mph interstate was one finger easy. The steering also has a nice weightiness to it.

I was under the Jeep over the weekend and snapped a few pics of the LCA's and steering box, looking to get part #'s.

Here's the steering box on mine, it's the new part number. This sure sounds like Jeep finally getting the steering corrected.
IMG_8433.JPG

-Steven
If its the one, why is it aluminum??

Advertisement

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Saharicon "Mud Muffin" (Wife), 2018 JLUR "Fat Ninja" (Me)
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Not all aluminum boxes are wonky, it's really a crap shoot. Yes, there is a newer aluminum box and you will see it on newer Jeeps but the cast iron box is not being used in production and is only being used as a fix for people with problems.
My FCA rep wanted feedback on my wife's and I said it's amazing and I want mine replaced to and he said no problem.

Paulocon

First Name
Paulo
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler jlur
Hi All,

I picked up my 2020 Recon two weeks ago and the steering is perfect.

Driving back home from the Northwest, 85+ mph interstate was one finger easy. The steering also has a nice weightiness to it.

I was under the Jeep over the weekend and snapped a few pics of the LCA's and steering box, looking to get part #'s.

Here's the steering box on mine, it's the new part number. This sure sounds like Jeep finally getting the steering corrected.
IMG_8433.JPG

-Steven
I’m seeing on other thread that the new steering box is black... yours is like mine and it seems like it’s the old one...

Im confused now

693AD26D-5594-4A98-8F04-819573ED586E.png

E2B3199E-3707-4175-AE72-1FC6530FD6DF.png

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
That's the confusion. It now sounds to me that Jeep's latest fix is the steel steering gear.

My part #
I’m seeing on other thread that the new steering box is black... yours is like mine and it seems like it’s the old one...

Im confused now

693AD26D-5594-4A98-8F04-819573ED586E.png

E2B3199E-3707-4175-AE72-1FC6530FD6DF.png
This is confusing! Here's what I've been able to understand after reading a few threads.

It seems that Jeep is still building the 2020 Jeeps with the aluminum steering gear. From what I see in another post, 2021's are coming in with a new steel steering gear.

If you've got a problem with your steering, it gets replaced with the new black steel steering gear, pat # P68507569AA Is this what everyone is taking from the info?

Here's a link to the other thread I pulled the part number from: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...d-steering-gear-box-from-tsb-08-074-20.57466/

-Steven

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Saharicon "Mud Muffin" (Wife), 2018 JLUR "Fat Ninja" (Me)
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
That's the confusion. It now sounds to me that Jeep's latest fix is the steel steering gear.

My part #

This is confusing! Here's what I've been able to understand after reading a few threads.

It seems that Jeep is still building the 2020 Jeeps with the aluminum steering gear. From what I see in another post, 2021's are coming in with a new steel steering gear.

If you've got a problem with your steering, it gets replaced with the new black steel steering gear, pat # P68507569AA Is this what everyone is taking from the info?

Here's a link to the other thread I pulled the part number from: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...d-steering-gear-box-from-tsb-08-074-20.57466/

-Steven
I think that's right. The original box was aluminum and if I remember correctly there was also an updated aluminum box.
Then they decided to go to cast iron, which is the latest and greatest. The FCA rep told me they were talking about putting it in the new Jeeps being built but I got the impression from him that decision hadn't been made yet but obviously it has since they are showing up on dealer's lots.
I talked with a few techs and they all were shaking their head at the idea of using aluminum in the first place.
This is where engineers take stupid pills but we can't only fault them. They are constantly being beaten on by the government to get better mpg and we all know that lighter vehicles get better mpg. So you start trying to make everything lighter and do stupid stuff like making parts lighter that don't do well when being built with aluminum. Voila... $hitty steering. OK I'm off my soapbox now :)

MrFenderpicks

First Name
Ivan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Well this is rather annoying,
I cant seem to find a dealer that is willing to perform this TSB
Even tho the JL only have 300 Miles, that was purchased last Wendesday!

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Well this is rather annoying,
I cant seem to find a dealer that is willing to perform this TSB
Even tho the JL only have 300 Miles, that was purchased last Wendesday!
Try reaching out to JeepCares. I believe they are on this forum.

-Steven

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
yours is still the old box. The number on it ends with AE it’s like the 3rd generation aluminum box. New steel box ends with AA

Advertisement

Quadratec

Advertisement