Sponsored

New JL Steering Gear Box - 68250506AE

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
That's your issue, you and some others are trying to "help me" when I never asked for anyone's help in the first place.

My steering issue was resolved over a series of 4 visits and multiple stabilizers being replaced, the last being an updated part number that fixed the issue completely. To make statements like "that wasn't your problem, drive without the stabilizer to diagnose it" is just ridiculous, especially after Jeep has already been sued and released a recall to fix my exact issue. Its not out of the realm of possibility that my truck only suffered from a bad batch of steering stabilizers and not a incorrectly assembled steering gear box.

This negative sentiment that some of you have towards dealer technicians of them knowing less than you is an issue. I can agree, not all are highly trained or have the years of experience, but you can't make umbrella statements like that. After all, parts are the problem, so its not unconventional to think that replacing parts would fix a problem..
You are a lost cause, I’m not wasting any more effort on trying to educate you. You came in here giving the op poor advice and when some of us tried to gently correct you you got all butt hurt. Good luck with your Jeep,
Sponsored

Simann

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
You are a lost cause, I’m not wasting any more effort on trying to educate you. You came in here giving the op poor advice and when some of us tried to gently correct you you got all butt hurt. Good luck with your Jeep,
The OP was simply stating what the new/revised part numbers are for steering gear boxes.

I'm not sure how you come to think voicing experience with a recall notice from Jeep is "poor advice"? And derogatory name calling is "gently correcting" me?

Whatever dude.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Did the new steering box address the wandering issue we all see?
I have a new JL on order. Is the "we all see" indicate that it's an inevitability that my new Jeep will wander? I thought that the problem impacted a vocal minority. [and...it's totally understandable that those impacted would be vocal]

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I have a new JL on order. Is the "we all see" indicate that it's an inevitability that my new Jeep will wander? I thought that the problem impacted a vocal minority. [and...it's totally understandable that those impacted would be vocal]
I think it's a minority. Our Jeeps don't wonder, I've been vocal about the crappy front end components on any stock Jeep.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Did the new steering box address the wandering issue we all see?
tire pressure can have profound effect on the steering experience , do not be affraid to lower the pressure to 28 - 30 psi and then just test it out , I ended up at 32 psi in the front and what a difference in steering

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I think most of us would agree that while the JL's are awesome, there are some shortcomings/challenges with the new steering system...which are amplified when you add larger/heaver tires & wheels along with a suspension lift. Below is a brief description of what I did to maximize handling performance, however I was lucky enough to start with a steering box with just a moderate 'dead spot'. Taking all suspension mods out of the equation, the most important improvements pertaining to steering were upgrading the front trackbar with Steer Smarts and stabilizer to a Fox 2.0TS.

Now the rest of the story...
While my 2020 JLR drove ok out of the box, it drives dramatically better after upgrading the steering/suspension components-especially after adding 35" tires (KO2's) and a 2-2.5" (Mopar) lift. Replacing all 8 control arms with adjustable ones (Teraflex IR) allowed me to maintain OEM wheelbase and keep front and rear axles properly centered within the wheelwells-they also allowed me to dial up the caster to 6.7 left and 6.9 right, which helps with straight line tracking. Front (Steer Smarts) and rear (Rancho) adjustable trackbars allowed me to center the axles side to side. Adding a Teraflex rear trackbar relocation bracket helped stability after the lift. I also upgraded the tie rod and draglink with Steer Smarts and while this was a noticeable improvement, it was no where as dramatic as upgrading the trackbar & stabilizer. While the 'moderate dead spot' in the steering box is annoying, since it tracks straight it is still a one handed affair driving. (Unless on twisty curvy roads of course) At some point and certainly if the dead spot gets worse, I will deal with it one way or another... Camber, which on mine is ok (but not ideal) is not adjustable as yet but hopefully by the time the OEM ball joints loosen up, someone will offer aftermarket HD adjustable ones that will offer some camber adjustment.
This is just my two cents on JL steering/handling based on my trial and error...Hope this is helpful to some!

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
I think most of us would agree that while the JL's are awesome, there are some shortcomings/challenges with the new steering system...which are amplified when you add larger/heaver tires & wheels along with a suspension lift. Below is a brief description of what I did to maximize handling performance, however I was lucky enough to start with a steering box with just a moderate 'dead spot'. Taking all suspension mods out of the equation, the most important improvements pertaining to steering were upgrading the front trackbar with Steer Smarts and stabilizer to a Fox 2.0TS.

Now the rest of the story...
While my 2020 JLR drove ok out of the box, it drives dramatically better after upgrading the steering/suspension components-especially after adding 35" tires (KO2's) and a 2-2.5" (Mopar) lift. Replacing all 8 control arms with adjustable ones (Teraflex IR) allowed me to maintain OEM wheelbase and keep front and rear axles properly centered within the wheelwells-they also allowed me to dial up the caster to 6.7 left and 6.9 right, which helps with straight line tracking. Front (Steer Smarts) and rear (Rancho) adjustable trackbars allowed me to center the axles side to side. Adding a Teraflex rear trackbar relocation bracket helped stability after the lift. I also upgraded the tie rod and draglink with Steer Smarts and while this was a noticeable improvement, it was no where as dramatic as upgrading the trackbar & stabilizer. While the 'moderate dead spot' in the steering box is annoying, since it tracks straight it is still a one handed affair driving. (Unless on twisty curvy roads of course) At some point and certainly if the dead spot gets worse, I will deal with it one way or another... Camber, which on mine is ok (but not ideal) is not adjustable as yet but hopefully by the time the OEM ball joints loosen up, someone will offer aftermarket HD adjustable ones that will offer some camber adjustment.
This is just my two cents on JL steering/handling based on my trial and error...Hope this is helpful to some!
Excellent and very helpful. Thanks Mike!

-Steven

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Question related to steering boxes but not directly the OP question... I tried to get dealer to replace steering box under warranty and they will not and also will not diagnose the problem I’m having.

In my continued effort to locate the issue, I found that the sector shaft is moving laterally in the steering box. The wife was wiggling the steering wheel so I could check tie rod ends and track bar. None of those were moving so I started looking closer at the steering box. The box itself isn’t moving but the sector shaft and pitman arm are moth moving laterally fairly significantly. More than I’ve ever seen a track bar move. All of this movement is before the drag link moves at all. I tried to take a video but it’s hard. You have to feel it.

I’m assuming this movement is not normal. Correct? My parents 2020 2 door does not do this at all. If it’s doing this under very little tension parked, I can only assume it’s amplified when in motion.

is there anything inside the steering box that can break? Or just slack? Or have the gears actually warm? Seems a new steering box is needed, which ever version it is.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Question related to steering boxes but not directly the OP question... I tried to get dealer to replace steering box under warranty and they will not and also will not diagnose the problem I’m having.

In my continued effort to locate the issue, I found that the sector shaft is moving laterally in the steering box. The wife was wiggling the steering wheel so I could check tie rod ends and track bar. None of those were moving so I started looking closer at the steering box. The box itself isn’t moving but the sector shaft and pitman arm are moth moving laterally fairly significantly. More than I’ve ever seen a track bar move. All of this movement is before the drag link moves at all. I tried to take a video but it’s hard. You have to feel it.

I’m assuming this movement is not normal. Correct? My parents 2020 2 door does not do this at all. If it’s doing this under very little tension parked, I can only assume it’s amplified when in motion.

is there anything inside the steering box that can break? Or just slack? Or have the gears actually warm? Seems a new steering box is needed, which ever version it is.

No, this is not normal. If you have an aftermarket 'sector shaft brace' (not just a steering box/frame support) there is a good chance that your dealer has flagged it as a modification to the steering gearbox, if this has happened you are SOL on having it taken care of under warranty. If you do have one and has not been flagged, I would make it disappear like it was never on in the first place...Then, (or if you do not have a sector shaft brace) find another dealer in your area that has a large service department. Good luck!

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The OP was simply stating what the new/revised part numbers are for steering gear boxes.

I'm not sure how you come to think voicing experience with a recall notice from Jeep is "poor advice"? And derogatory name calling is "gently correcting" me?

Whatever dude.
Go back and read your first response to me. I’ll wait.

Sponsored

Simann

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
No, this is not normal. If you have an aftermarket 'sector shaft brace' (not just a steering box/frame support) there is a good chance that your dealer has flagged it as a modification to the steering gearbox, if this has happened you are SOL on having it taken care of under warranty. If you do have one and has not been flagged, I would make it disappear like it was never on in the first place...Then, (or if you do not have a sector shaft brace) find another dealer in your area that has a large service department. Good luck!
I actually discussed the Synergy brace with my local dealer when I had my lift installed there. The service writer said if they install it they can cover it under their "dealer warranty" as I purchased the truck from them. However, if a 3rd party installs it, they would not honor any warranty claim of the steering system. Always a good thing to have a positive relationship with your local dealer.

jeep-v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0T
Please check this thread for related TSB with all relevant information: Steering

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I actually discussed the Synergy brace with my local dealer when I had my lift installed there. The service writer said if they install it they can cover it under their "dealer warranty" as I purchased the truck from them. However, if a 3rd party installs it, they would not honor any warranty claim of the steering system. Always a good thing to have a positive relationship with your local dealer.
I know that that’s what makes the world go round, but it always sounds like extortion to me. “I’m only willing to put the warranty claim as long as it’s worth it to me” AKA grease my palm please. It’s either warrantable or not

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
ha. So no, I was not expecting them to "check" the non-factory parts. I was expecting them to diagnose the problem. I'm just amazed they don't do that. They aren't really a service department but rather an OEM parts distributor and installer. I guess I've just never dealt with that from other manufacturers.

Their comment when I dropped it off was that the first thing they are prescribed to do for "bad steering" is to replace the steering stabilizer but I have an after market one so they can't. Its like they hit the end of the flow chart and stopped.

What if the problem is a bad aftermarket part? Lets say that even though I have checked the track bar 101 times, that there is excessive play in the track bar bushing that is 2000 miles old. If they had told me that, I would have gladly thanked them for their help, paid for their diagnostic fee and inquired about what they recommend I do for a track bar on a lifted vehicle with 37" tires that they installed.

I don't know man. I'm not a mechanic. Apparently they aren't either. I've tried everything. Jeep used to drive fine and now is super squirrelly. I'm driving 2.5 hours next thursday to have an off-road shop look at it because I don't know who else to see. I'd love if someone would explain to me how to check a steering box for "proper slack". And if FCA isn't doing anything, I might as well rip out the steering and replace with PSC kit because they won't warranty it anyway, so what am I out? I'm sure somehow adding a pulley on the belt will be the cause of my valve cover oil leak. haha.
it’s not so much that they aren’t qualified mechanics, but that the corporate structure does not allow them to actually make decisions. They are likely concerned that they will never be paid for warranty work on a modified vehicle.
Sponsored