Sponsored

New JL Rubicon w/plastic bumpers. Oem steel bumper question....

RubiconTN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Once my 2 door soft top Rubicon arrives, I may eventually purchase the oem steel bumpers so my questions are....
1. Does the weight of steel change my ride height? Searching old threads somebody posted Rubicons may have different coil springs when ordering steel bumpers.....true or false?
2. Is it difficult trying to sell the plastic bumpers? Value?
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Once my 2 door soft top Rubicon arrives, I may eventually purchase the oem steel bumpers so my questions are....
1. Does the weight of steel change my ride height? Searching old threads somebody posted Rubicons may have different coil springs when ordering steel bumpers.....true or false?
It's true about getting the stiffest spring rate when it comes from the factory with the hardtop, steel bumpers, and tow package combo. It's hard to quantify any amount of possible sag you might experience.

You can start a listing in the exterior parts section of the members marketplace. You can also scan through the pages for a possible range of value, or just list it for best offer. It may not fetch too much. It's also a great place to score a good deal on a steel takeoff, rather than buying new.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
I didn’t notice a difference in height from the swap. I was about to part out the led fogs and tow hooks to sell, but a neighbor took the whole bumper for $80. Not bad a trade off for dealing with two more sales. Could probably get $100 and 50, respectively.
I believe my springs end in 59/91. Plastic bumper/hardtop/tow.
If you order new oem steel bumper and skid plate, everything you need comes with them except the close out panel on the top (between bumper and grille). Don’t need to order nutserts or anything.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
I would worry too much about ride height, very simple to solve.. Get the lift and brand you like, i idid morpar 2", add $100 airsprings (RAM 1500 is what i use) to the back (1 hr of work), pucks on the front if needed.. super simple on my JLRU with steel bumpers, winch etc.. I carry a lot and a simple 10 PSI raises the back a lot, when im empty i run 3 PSI, hard trails fully loaded with the family and trailer, 25 PSI.. did rucicon and many trails like this no issues..

hope that helps.

TC
Sponsored