Sponsored

New JL owner

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Hey guys. I've been lurking around here for a while, decided to make an account and interact some. This is my second jeep, first was a base stripped down rusty '98 wrangler. Though I loved that piece of junk, as I've aged my requirements in a daily driver have changed. I looked at a JK back in like 2016, but it just didn't do it for me.

Went to the dealer to look at a 2019 rubicon, and though I liked it, I didn't really need the rubicon for what I do. Very moderate off road use, some mud and trails on my property. At the same time I'm not a sahara fan. I don't like the color matched fender, grill, etc. Also didn't want street tires, I like to avoid immediately changing the tires on a new vehicle.

The dealer mentioned a 2021 willys. After a test drive, I was sold. Fits basically everything I need. The only thing I wish it had was the proximity unlock, but I can deal with that. Have been daily driving it for the last month, and so far all is good other than my USB ports temporarily not working. I blame that on the garbage Uconnect system.

20201025_132857.jpg
Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Welcome aboard, congrats and hello neighbor!!!! One of the great things about the Wrangler. Many ways to mix and match. I find humor in some of your comments. The reasons you state for not liking the Sahara are primary reasons for me that I do. ;)

I knew I was going to change wheels and tires pretty immediately. I love the matching fenders. Did not go with the matching hardtop though. Wanted a bit of a contrast.

Again congrats and welcome.

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
Haha welcome to the club!!! You better get ready to be poor cause trust me if you are lovin your Jeep - you are gonna spend a heck lot of money on it!! Time to eat only PBJ for breakfast, lunch and dinner! No more mikadees for you!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Welcome aboard, congrats and hello neighbor!!!! One of the great things about the Wrangler. Many ways to mix and match. I find humor in some of your comments. The reasons you state for not liking the Sahara are primary reasons for me that I do. ;)

I knew I was going to change wheels and tires pretty immediately. I love the matching fenders. Did not go with the matching hardtop though. Wanted a bit of a contrast.

Again congrats and welcome.
Haha yeah, depending on your location in southern Indiana, we may be very close neighbors. Im only about 2 hours from Indy. And yeah, lots of people like the sahara styling, but I am not one of those. Glad there's choices for people with differing tastes.

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Haha welcome to the club!!! You better get ready to be poor cause trust me if you are lovin your Jeep - you are gonna spend a heck lot of money on it!! Time to eat only PBJ for breakfast, lunch and dinner! No more mikadees for you!!
Haha yeah, I've already been planning and bookmarking things I'd like to get. As the sole financial provider for myself, my wife and our 3 children, some time will need to be taken on accessory buying. Surprisingly she didn't shoot me in the driveway when I pulled in with the Jeep.

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Another thing, do the rubi shocks on the willys make that big of a difference, or did I just get unlucky with the sahara I drove? In my picture, the silver jeep is a JLU sahara, and it was kind of terrifying on the highway. Very difficult to control, very floaty. That was a rental car I picked up for work (I travel for work), and it was the reason I went and looked at JLs. As I said earlier I didn't really care for the JKs and the way they rode, once I drove that rental JL I had to give Jeep another shot. My willys is far more sure footed at highway speeds than that sahara.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Haha yeah, depending on your location in southern Indiana, we may be very close neighbors. Im only about 2 hours from Indy. And yeah, lots of people like the sahara styling, but I am not one of those. Glad there's choices for people with differing tastes.
My family and I are half way between Indy and Louisville about 30 min west of I-65

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Nice looking Willys. Congratulations!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Another thing, do the rubi shocks on the willys make that big of a difference, or did I just get unlucky with the sahara I drove? In my picture, the silver jeep is a JLU sahara, and it was kind of terrifying on the highway. Very difficult to control, very floaty. That was a rental car I picked up for work (I travel for work), and it was the reason I went and looked at JLs. As I said earlier I didn't really care for the JKs and the way they rode, once I drove that rental JL I had to give Jeep another shot. My willys is far more sure footed at highway speeds than that sahara.
Unfortunately, the wandering steering affects ALL Wranglers. After test driving a dozen JLs, my guesstimate is this afflicts 1-in-4 or 1-in-3 JLs. So it’s the luck of the draw if you get a good one. I lucked out; mine drives straight.

Fortunately, finally FCA found a remedy and issued a TSB to replace the weak aluminum steering box with one made of cast iron. Apparently, FCA is getting ready to issue a formal recall early next year.

2021 JLs are supposed to have the new, stronger steering box already.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Cool Willys! I'm with you on the body color top and fenders. I like the contrast of the matte black. Plus, I figure it would be cheaper to replace if there is some tree rash while crawling. But I did change the wheels and tires rather quickly. I still went with KO2s but in 37".

and

What's not to love about a TJ? Still one of my all time favs.

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Unfortunately, the wandering steering affects ALL Wranglers. After test driving a dozen JLs, my guesstimate is this issue affects about 1 in 3 JLs. So it’s the luck of the draw if you get one. I lucked out; mine drives straight.

Fortunately, finally FCA found a remedy and issued a TSB: to replace the weak aluminum steering box with one made of cast iron. Apparently, FCA is getting ready to issue a formal recall early next year.

2021 JLs are supposed to have the new, stronger steering box already.
Both models are 2021s, its not really an issue on tracking straight, but more a floaty problem. A gust of wind bouncing you around, 70 mph lane changes you bounce. I dont feel it in my willys. I'm wondering if it's the stiffer shocks. I drove the sahara from Cincinnati to eastern Maryland and back twice, so I haf time to get used to it, it wasn't operator error. It was so bad actually that I got pulled over on my second trip because the cop thought I was drunk.

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Cool Willys! I'm with you on the body color top and fenders. I like the contrast of the matte black. Plus, I figure it would be cheaper to replace if there is some tree rash while crawling. But I did change the wheels and tires rather quickly. I still went with KO2s but in 37".

and

What's not to love about a TJ? Still one of my all time favs.
Thanks, yeah I may jump up to 35s later on, but for now these MT2s are actually treating me pretty well.

There's plenty to not like about a tj lol, just depends on your priorities in a vehicle.
Sponsored