First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Moab, ‘22 HighTide, ‘59 Chevy Apache, ‘32 Ford
Occupation
Custom painter/freelance artist
So, I just bought a new (to me) ‘18 JL...I almost bought a Sport S that had the small radio, assuming I could just swap out to the 7” or 8” radio without issues (my last Jeep was a ‘98 XJ), and then I read the 45+ page thread about the issues involved with that, so I ended up getting a Sahara with the Technology Pkg. instead.
Anyway, I’m learning that equipment swaps are not as easy as they used to be what with computers, and equipment assigned to a VIN, etc.
So I see that swapping to LED taillights is a popular option, but the aftermarket dealers indicate that in order for them (the LED light) to work correctly you need to go to a dealer and have them “flash” the vehicle.
Just a couple questions...based on my mileage and in service date I’ve still got two years and 26K miles of warranty left, so I don’t want to do anything to mess with that.
What does this “flashing” involve, will it affect my warranty, will a dealer hesitate to do it, and if it’s a common thing for them to do, approx. how much should I expect to pay to get it done (assuming I install and connect the taillights myself)?
A related question; if I do taillights, do I have to do front turn signals as well, does a single dealer “flash” take care of all LED lights, or is it required for each individual set of LED’s?
And finally, are ther any additional common aftermarket modifications that a dealer or the manufacturer look at negatively In regards to warranty?
One final question...when I joined it asked me to list all of my vehicles owned to show in my profile, I joined when I thought I was getting the Sport S, so thats what I listed, now my profile is incorrect (a minor thing), but is there any way to change it to reflect the Sahara?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mooreman21

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting on JL
I added aftermarket LED headlights and did not get a dealer flash. No issues for approximately 4 months now

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
One final question...when I joined it asked me to list all of my vehicles owned to show in my profile, I joined when I thought I was getting the Sport S, so thats what I listed, now my profile is incorrect (a minor thing), but is there any way to change it to reflect the Sahara?
At the top of the web page is a line that starts with News, Forums, etc. Your "handle" is also on that line. Click on it. Then click on Account Details. You can change your vehicle listing on that page.

Later,
Johnny

OP
OP
Resin Addict

Resin Addict

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Moab, ‘22 HighTide, ‘59 Chevy Apache, ‘32 Ford
Occupation
Custom painter/freelance artist
At the top of the web page is a line that starts with News, Forums, etc. Your "handle" is also on that line. Click on it. Then click on Account Details. You can change your vehicle listing on that page.

Later,
Johnny
Thanks for the help.

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Do a search on JL Tazer. This programmer allows you to do many of the reflashes for lights, tires and other things you may want to do without the need to have the dealer do it. I think you can upgrade one set or all sets of lights to led using this. Not sure about the LED tailights; those came standard on mine.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You can add Mopar OEM LED headlights and the dealer can flash them. They will not flash the computer for non-OEM parts. Any aftermarket product can void parts of your warranty if it can be shown they caused a problem. Changes to electrical, steering and suslension can be an issue. Buy reputable products installed by reputable installers who guarantee their product/work.
Sponsored