Sponsored

New JL MOAB Limited Edition - Steel doors?

Monika

First Name
Monika
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKU
New JL MOAB Limited Edition - Steel doors? Can anyone confirm this. I thought the doors and front quarter panel were aluminum. Thanks
Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
New JL MOAB Limited Edition - Steel doors? Can anyone confirm this. I thought the doors and front quarter panel were aluminum. Thanks
Seems unlikely, was this published or something a dealer salesperson said?

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
Source quote please?

Some people think "metal" always means "steel". Not true.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
First of all I don’t think this is true. What is your source?

But even if it was, why would you want it? Steel doors would be significantly heavier and much more difficult to remove. And while they’d be slightly stronger, the steel would still be thin enough that it wouldn’t really do anything in an impact. And anyways, the Jeep’s structural integrity comes from the roll cage, not the sheet metal.

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Body wise, only the tub is steel. Doors, hood, tailgate, front panels the flares attach to, are all aluminum. Some hinges are magnesium. Grille is plastic, as are the two panels at the end of the cowl. I’ve seen it in print that the Moab gets steel front bumper, but I’m not sure about the rear.

Yammyhaha

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito MOAB/Audi A6/BMW Z3/Saab 9-5/Saab 9-3 Conv
Body wise, only the tub is steel. Doors, hood, tailgate, front panels the flares attach to, are all aluminum. Some hinges are magnesium. Grille is plastic, as are the two panels at the end of the cowl. I’ve seen it in print that the Moab gets steel front bumper, but I’m not sure about the rear.
Plastic in the rear. Somehow that doesn't sound right. Oh well.

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
Monika

Monika

First Name
Monika
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKU
Seems unlikely, was this published or something a dealer salesperson said?
A friend who just purchased the new MOAB Edition told me the doors are "metal" and his spec sheet made him think they were steel and not aluminum. I also heard of steel factory half doors coming so was just wondering if there was any validity to that. I know this was Jeep's first year with aluminum doors in Wranglers so was just curious if there were any issues if the trend seems to be going back to steel with the special editions?

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
A friend who just purchased the new MOAB Edition told me the doors are "metal" and his spec sheet made him think they were steel and not aluminum. I also heard of steel factory half doors coming so was just wondering if there was any validity to that. I know this was Jeep's first year with aluminum doors in Wranglers so was just curious if there were any issues if the trend seems to be going back to steel with the special editions?
Ah, we hear of problems here pretty fast and I have not heard of any on door in regards to them being aluminum. Mine are great and not to heavy when I want to take them off for a nice day drive.

"Metal" as the description does sound like they are being coy and not wanting you to know what metal, but I cant imagine they can switch it without letting us know, as it was a sales "Feature" (and we have heard nothing about any change)/

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah if FCA colors the door in textures, some people probably will believe it is carbon fiber...next big thing will be 3D-printed Jeep with built in vape pen, you heard it here first.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
They’re aluminum. Just have your friend try to get a magnet to stick to it.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Oh just looked at my window sticker on my 2018 and it says, "Full Metal Doors with Roll–up Windows"

Odd description is all it appears
Sponsored