Sponsored

New JL is causing right shoulder back pain help!

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
no wallet in the pocket at all, who has money left after buying one of these anyway. Just right shoulder pain, I’m perplexed for sure here
I keep my Bladders pretty full. I like a firm fit. My right shoulder has ached for years. I keep my steering wheel pretty much right in my lap so my arms are pretty much 90 degrees. Doing great its be 6 months since the new Jeep.
Sponsored

Danielos2

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 4-door Sting-Grey
I have found at times my mid-back hurts a little at times (think its from going through those short rolling dips to fast) but so my wife doesn't think that I am a cream puff I keep quiet...lol, as far as a wallet problem, I wear tech gear (same as cargo but what law enforcement wear) and keep wallet in side pocket, it is very light now anyway after spending about $69,000.00 on my Gray Wizard.....but worth every dollar, not sure about the penny's...

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I have a sore knee due to a walking accident. Also, for the last 5 years or so, when I cycle, there is sometimes a minor numbness in my left hand.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I'm 6'5" and find that my shoulders and upper back ache when driving my JL, but not in my JK. I tend to agree with your observation that due to the seat sitting higher and there being less room overall for the driver, I am likely subconsciously slouching to avoid hitting the sound bar. I've played with the seat, but just can't get to as comfortable driving position as I have in my JK. I'm really hoping someone fabricates seat rails that bring the seat down 1"-2".
I have the same issue and I'm 6'3" with a longer torso. If I sit up decently straight, the back of my head is against the roll bar. Seat needs to drop another inch or two and the bottom seat portion needs to tilt back more...it's flat making it not comfortable on long drives.

Sponsored

cburger71

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon; 2012 Jeep Wrangler JKU, 2009 Corvette ZR1
I have the same issue and I'm 6'3" with a longer torso. If I sit up decently straight, the back of my head is against the roll bar. Seat needs to drop another inch or two and the bottom seat portion needs to tilt back more...it's flat making it not comfortable on long drives.
For the seat bottom issue, there are a couple of threads about ways to angle the seat bottom by adding a spacer where the front bolts mount to the floor. I went with spacers by Desert Does It (they are a new sponsor of the forum). They are pricey, but didn't want to compromise safety and felt this was a good option. It definitely gave the seat bottom more of an angle and support in the thigh area. Now to just figure out how to lower the seat bracket an inch or two and I'll be much more comfortable.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
For the seat bottom issue, there are a couple of threads about ways to angle the seat bottom by adding a spacer where the front bolts mount to the floor. I went with spacers by Desert Does It (they are a new sponsor of the forum). They are pricey, but didn't want to compromise safety and felt this was a good option. It definitely gave the seat bottom more of an angle and support in the thigh area. Now to just figure out how to lower the seat bracket an inch or two and I'll be much more comfortable.
I've seen those...but don't want anything raised higher. I'm actually selling it...so not worried about it anymore.

johnbrochill

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Had a 2019 Rubicon JL and now a 20 Gladiator Rubicon in BOTH I am finding my right shoulder blade aches while driving it. None of my previous JK, TJ or YJ or XJ units since 1992 have ever done this. Looking for some ideas or help I'm perplexed. I'm 6'4" and 215 so not overweight or don't think I am :)

Any comments suggestions or similar exp?

Thanks

I have had a similar problem as well. Didn't read through the whole thread, so others have probably mentioned something similar, but wanted to share if this can help someone:

For reference, I am 6"2 and in my early 30's, so not old, but have relatively severe arthritis/nerve damage due to several back surgeries. So comfortable seats are a high priority.

Overall, I find the seats comfortable, even after long road trips -- except the headrest. I like to sit as close to straight up as possible, and close enough to the steering wheel that it would be hard for my head to hit the roll bar when off-roading. The only problem with this is the damn headrest is angled forward slightly, so it can push your head forward.

In addition, I noticed I was putting wayyy too much weight on my right arm, leaning on the center console (which a lot of people do without realizing), making my neck/shoulder pain worse.

So I ended up swapping out the Jeep's headrest for the Recaro headrest from my girlfriend's WRX passenger seat, and now focus on posture/seating position, making sure I'm not leaning on anything and have not had any issues since.

In short:
- Adjust seating position correctly
- Focus on your own posture - don't lean on anything
- Swap out headrest

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
It's probably the same pain i have...it's using a mouse on my pc.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
If you are a taller driver (6'5"+), consider not using the lumbar support.

Was rear ended in a low speed accident, Only very minor cosmetic damage to the bumper, ended up with slipped discs - right where the lumbar support pokes out. Granted, being taller makes you more susceptible to spinal damage, but I never had any medical issues there before.

And yes, the headrests are awful for tall drivers. Surprised there isn't an aftermarket for this. I guess there's some safety reason behind it.

Sponsored

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Glad. Mojave, 16 JKU Sahara, 20 Supra
Disabled vet here too. 22 years as Special Operations Pilot. I drove from Colorado Springs to Dallas straight through not long after a long treatment of chemo. On the way down, I started getting pain in my right shoulder. (This was in my GMC Hd 2500, very nice ride). To get to the chase I spent 8 days in the hospital in Rockwall, Tx with a pulmany embolism. (Blood clot in the right lung.)

Not trying scare you. But if the pain gets more intense when you take a deep breath in, get to a doctor.

And yes, take wallets out of your back pockets, all the time. I went to a front pocket wallet about years ago at the behest if a flight surgeon and a lot of problems went away.
First off, thanks for your service.

secondly, I despise wallets in the back pocket for driving. Can’t do it. I’ve been thinking some mens clothes manufacturers (Levi’s, etc) would really have a hit if they’d market some jeans with a wallet pocket that’s on the side of your thigh. I can’t stand a wallet in my front pocket either. I wear lots of cargo pants and shorts these days for the side pouch for my wallet.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Try adjusting the seat closer or further back. Inflate or deflate Lumbar supports. What is the height of the seat? Do you sit ergonomically correct or is the seat preventing proper ergo capability.

I absolutely love the feel of my seat, it took me a little while to move a few things around but no issues ( I have a bad right shoulder from an accident) and I do not have any issues. Wish you luck.... And you realize the steering wheel telescopes and moves up and down as well for some additional adjustments.

tldolphin7777

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl, 2018 jl
Had a 2019 Rubicon JL and now a 20 Gladiator Rubicon in BOTH I am finding my right shoulder blade aches while driving it. None of my previous JK, TJ or YJ or XJ units since 1992 have ever done this. Looking for some ideas or help I'm perplexed. I'm 6'4" and 215 so not overweight or don't think I am :)

Thanks
5th jeep in family. 07 more comfortable on road than 18 or 20. I thought it was a seat and did long post where someone told me it was my desk job basically so I deleted post.
There is a TSB. For 2018 to 2020 Wrangler and Gladiator jeep pull. Especially hotter climate, especially over 55 mph.
Most likely why all the people who have had other jeeps say only new one causes pain.
Hope this helps someone else.

Attachments

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL

Thanks
Three thoughts: 1. I’m just under 6 feet and I feel like the seat isn’t geared for people any bigger than me. I would push the seat back farther than it goes if I could. 2. The lumbar support in my ‘20 JLUR barely does the job for me. You might get a firm lumbar pillow. All sorts of bad things can happen by way of your back. 3. Get aftermarket seats. Do they still make Recaros? They’re great, and expensive.

tldolphin7777

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl, 2018 jl
My suggestion is put a cushion under right hip and just sit in it. Do you still feel the pull across your shoulder? I noticed my shoulder pain change when I did it.
I also felt like I was actually facing forward in my new jeep vs across the right of the hood. I always faced forward in the other jeeps.
One morning my son and I went from jeep to jeep in the driveway looking to see why my new one so difficult for me to drive. We also decided they were spot in about the angle forward in the new seats.
It's been sad that the 20 is less comfortable than the 07 or 12.
Sponsored