Sponsored

New JL is a POS

OP
OP

Ghuzz

Aaron, you list your occupation, what kind of mechanic are you?
It wasn’t an easy fix. It’s covered by a warranty and has 2700 miles on it. Truth is I’ll end up taking the seats out and clean and lube them, I just don’t feel I should have to.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Ghuzz

Good logic but the reality is there are zillions of jeeps on the trail and they arent breaking down at a level that is even close to concerning. I reread your original post about your tranny. That is truly an outlier when you read about the tranny they use. It is VERY highly regarded. this doesnt help you of course and that does suck.

No one is going to make you happy about the problems your having. I was ticked about my ESS taking a chit right from the dealer but it's a memory now. Likely yours will too.

Personally I dont worry about the motor or tranny taking a poo. More worried about the electronics, and fancy do-dads roaching over time. I'm going to alaska in this thing in about 2 years so hoping things pop up prior.
True, I’m good with the power train ... so far, the seat breaking never crossed my mind. I had an 08 jk too, I think the seats at least on it were better quality. Bottom line? It pissed me off that this happened, I’ll see how it goes today at the dealership.

OP
OP

Ghuzz

I've never had more warranty work than a Mercedes i bought my wife. And not loose air vents either, complete transmission replacement and many other serious mechanical issues. All vehicles have their problems. Not that it's an excuse for FCA. There are a lot of fan boys on here that would rather eat a crap sandwich than admit that their Jeep wasn't the best auto ever produced.

This is my 4th Jeep, so you could say I am inoculated from these small issues. I expect then because it says "Jeep" on the front. I expect loose air vents, I expect it to squeal when i start it. But if i wanted a different vehicle i would have bought it.

I wonder how many of the people doing the majority of the complaining are first time Jeep owners? Just a thought.
This is my third Jeep. The broken seat caught me by surprise.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I don't get the negativity towards Toyota.

Remember the American car market in the 70s and 80s? It was not fun times for the Big-3. OPEC and gas guzzlers had a impact but so did reliability, or the lack of it. Back then the Big-3 made cars that were a joke, it was a huge deal for one to reach 100K miles. There were no better options so the American consumer had no choice but to keep buying sub standard cars. Until the Japanese came to market. Competition is ultimately good for the consumer. Like them or not, Toyota, Honda, did consumers all over the world a huge favor. Japanese quality control and undeniable reliability forced the Big-3 to improve their own quality. Every brand is better today because of their competition. Back in the 70s-80s it was a struggle for some domestic cars to reach 75K-100K miles. Today any engine can be expected to exceed 100K miles easily. It is not uncommon to see 150K-200K miles today. Cars are a lot more similar today. The reality is we live in a global market and most car companies share components made from the same suppliers. Any car company can get the same QC if they want it.

It sounds like FCA can improve it's dealer service. How are FCA consumers are treated by the company after the sale? How well they are treated at the dealer level? Treat them well and they will probably over look a minor issue and consider purchasing again. Treat them poorly and they might piss off the customer for future consideration of the brand no matter how unique the product is.

Last edited:

xjgary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Cherokee XJ
Mines fine...and tens of thousands of others are as well. Always going to be a few lemons that get out with any vehicle. You just don't hear about the good ones. Have the dealer take care of it and stop crying. Or sell it and get something "better".
My XJ has over 330,00 miles and is 26 years old. It has none of those problems. That sounds like bad engineering to me. rather than a few lemons.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ghuzz

WAAAH ! I'm not a " mechanic" , and yet I've successfully corrected minor issues that you are hysterical about. Jeeps, specifically Wranglers, require input from their owners, not helpless handwringing and whining for the mythical " good old fill in the blank " vehicles.
This Forum exists to share, instruct, and solve issues.
Bleating about your "problems" is more about you than the JL. Please find a Unicorn Toyota, and sail off into the sunset...
Well this forum didn’t do a very good job with the seats...

OP
OP

Ghuzz

I don't get the negativity towards Toyota.

Remember the American car market in the 70s and 80s? It was not fun times for the Big-3. OPEC and gas guzzlers had a impact but so did reliability, or the lack of it. Back then the Big-3 made cars that were a joke, it was a huge deal for one to reach 100K miles. There were no better options so the American consumer had no choice but to keep buying sub standard cars. Until the Japanese came to market. Competition is ultimately good for the consumer. Like them or not, Toyota, Honda, did consumers all over the world a huge favor. Japanese quality control and undeniable reliability forced the Big-3 to improve their own quality. Every brand is better today because of their competition. Back in the 70s-80s it was a struggle for some domestic cars to reach 75K-100K miles. Today any engine can be expected to exceed 100K miles easily. It is not uncommon to see 150K-200K miles today. Cars are a lot more similar today. The reality is we live in a global market and most car companies share components made from the same suppliers. Any car company can get the same QC if they want it.

It sounds like FCA can improve it's dealer service. How are FCA consumers are treated by the company after the sale. How well they are treated at the dealer level. Treat them well and they will probably over look a minor issue and consider purchasing again. Treat them poorly and they might piss off the customer for future consideration of the brand no matter how unique the product is.
Very true, they lose customers one at a time. They should already know this. Cheapening up the Jeep too much may kill the goose that lays the golden eggs...

PJJEEPER

First Name
Pamela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Prior to purchasing my 2018 JLU Sport in October, I had a 2016 Jeep Cherokee...with nothing but problems. Almost 10,000 mi on the JL and it's been problem-free. Sorry you're having issues. I love mine!

OP
OP

Ghuzz

Prior to purchasing my 2018 JLU Sport in October, I had a 2016 Jeep Cherokee...with nothing but problems. Almost 10,000 mi on the JL and it's been problem-free. Sorry you're having issues. I love mine!
I still love my Jeep, were just having a rough spot we have to negative... I’ve heard others say bad things about the Cherokee too, it’s a suv that stole a Jeep badge...

rogo66

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Who else has had seat problems? Can you post a link I’d like to talk to them...
I had that same issue with my 2019 2-door. I was vacuuming it out one day and moved the passenger seat all the way forward. I wasn't able to slide it back. I had to get in and sit on the seat, which wasn't easy to do with it all the way forward, and then pull the latch while pushing with all my weight to get it to slide back. I don't go all the forward anymore...

Sponsored

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
Definitely understand how frustrating it can be to have issues with a brand new vehicle. I do hope FCA spends more on QC. They also need to up their game on training the dealerships to fix issues faster and to treat customers better. That said, I do believe American cars Jeep included have gotten closer to the Japanese counter parts in terms of reliability over the last few decades. Toyota is still the king in terms of reliability but the difference is not what it used to be.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/recent_trends/

https://www.carcomplaints.com/worst_vehicles/

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
So I currently own a Toyota Tacoma and have ordered a new JL that's coming in a few weeks. Before Tacoma I had a Tundra. Never worried about those 2 as far as reliability. Will see how the Jeep experience goes haha.

My Taco did go in for 2 TSBs tho. Squeaky rear springs and transmission shift reprogramming.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
OP, think you would have gotten a bit more love if you would have titled thread "MY JL IS A POS", pretty broad brush stroke titled as is.

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
I'm going to let everyone in on a little secret on How To Buy The PERFECT Vehicle...

Purchase new vehicles only from factory dealerships that don't have a service department. No service department means their vehicles don't have any problems.

If a dealership has a service department, it means they expect to fix problems.

Simple.

BTW, I have not found one yet. Shocking as it may be, Honda and Toyota dealerships have service departments.

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Well, we were going to leave this morning for a Jeep trip up to Mingus mountain, but the right side passenger seat stuck full forward. Instead l drove it to the dealership,they said to bring it back Monday, the glove box is broken the air vents are loose the tranny shifts weird, it’s a piece of crap! The only good thing is it reminds me of why I started buying Toyota’s back in the 90’s, anyone interested in a good deal on a 18 JL 2 door less than 3k miles ?

Sorry to hear about you misfortune with the 2018 JL 2 door. I have the same amount
of miles on the same vehicle and no problems to date except for an inept dealership I wouldn't even allow to change the oil / Filter even though it would be free. When I had to complain to the dealership regarding a minor issue. I gave up and sent a letter to FCA as well as the dealership (same letter). FCA called within a week and because of my issue they paid for my next payment ($425.00), Vehicle is now payed off. They also forward a local FCA representative info. which they said would address Anya nd all issues. I have the standard trans, fortunately no problems and shifts as well as my old 2005 Honda S2000
Sponsored