New JL is a POS

Bluegrassjlu

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I hate to hear that you're having issues. My wife's JLUR will be a year old the 14th with over 31k miles. The only issues we've had was the radio went black twice, but fixed itself after a restart. My 16 Silverado ltz on the other hand had multiple paint issues upon delivery, 1 chipped wheel, torque converter failure at 42k miles, ac seat vibrates you to death, radio craps outside each month, and the back up camera says it needs service regularly. Every manufacturer has these issues unfortunately.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Ghuzz

That is not a lemon (yet)...
I feel your pain - I have had two vehicles bought back from two different very big and reliable manufacturers that were true lemons. I have also had a couple that had issues that took several trip back to fix. Again, It sucks - and I do not say that to be patronizing.

We all know that the JL is not a POS. Yours, at this point, is not a POS. Maybe some more bigger problems and then I will agree.

To me, the key on whether to jump ship here is how Jeep handles your issues. Give them a chance to make you whole again. They screww that up and I will swing by and take you to the Toyota dealer myself.
I know. All minor things for sure, I’ll fore sure give the dealership a chance to make it right. It just really pisses me off that’s all.
I’ve been through the dealership thing before, it brings back bad memories... Chevy bought back my 2000 venture van because of the non stop dealership making it right attempts/lemon law.
We’re nowhere near that. I hope

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I would say that everybody that owns a Harley knows that Honda builds a much better reliable bike but bought the Harley anyway. Buying a Jeep is passion and lifestyle.
Agreed, but what gets me about the Harley folks is that there really is no difference in experience between a Honda and a Harley. They're both bikes. And don't give me that "it just feels different" crap! People are just married to a brand, which I find sad... Jeep on the other hand is completely alone in its class at least until the Bronco comes out (maybe, we'll see). Not that that excuses shoddy quality but with Jeep you really don't have any alternatives if you want something equally capable at this price point that also can lose its top and doors.

Chevy bought back my 2000 Chevy venture van on the lemon law, we then bought a sienna van never had a problem my 07 Camry has 165k on it no problems, my wife drives a 18 4Runner. We’re spoiled when it comes to quality and you just can’t compare a Toyota with a Jeep build quality wise.
My wife has 2018 4R that we got new. It's been back to the dealer twice now for two separate speakers failing but other than that I've been impressed with the build quality. My Jeep hasn't been back at all (but it might for wandering steering, not sure).

sprayingmango

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab
Occupation
Teacher
My Jeep JL is the best vehicle I've ever owned. Previously I've owned many VW Golf R's, a Jeep SRT8, a Hellcat, Corvette Z06. Sounds to me like OP needs to grow up and realize that sometimes there are issues and that his specific issues do not mean that ALL JL's are crap.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Ah yes, the reliable “If you don’t like (insert concern here) about your Jeep, get a Prius” blast.
Never gets old.
2400 miles in. 0 issues.
First I’ve been excited about driving, owning, fooling with a new vehicle in a long time.
Love mine so far, but I might not if I had had problems.
Seems to me most lemons show their colors quickly though, so I’m optimistic.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Chrysler's always been the red-headed stepchild of the Big 3, I feel like no one wants 'em to die 'cause we don't want just Ford and GM, but also no one really wants their products except Jeeps and anything with a Cummins

But to me quality is engine and transmission, most everything else is minor and can be addressed easily and with minimal expense, especially things like latches and seat mechanisms.

Electronics are adding a new component unfortunately, if my Uconnect died at 37k I'd be pissed.

Speaking of....the warranty can tell you how much confidence a manufacturer has in their product....3/36 used to be the norm....20+ years ago. Now that's SHORT and that tells you FCA knows their quality isn't stellar. They dropped the optional LT warranty....gee I wonder why?

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Really the 3.6 is tested since '12 and the 850RE seems to have a respectable history in several other vehicles....so be happy....the truly important stuff is solid (although the apparent problems with the rear axles boggles the mind...how do you fawk up a D44 - all they had to do was take a Scout axle and add a locker???)

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Chevy bought back my 2000 Chevy venture van on the lemon law, we then bought a sienna van never had a problem my 07 Camry has 165k on it no problems, my wife drives a 18 4Runner. We’re spoiled when it comes to quality and you just can’t compare a Toyota with a Jeep build quality wise.
I totally agree. Toyota and any FCA product are at opposite ends of JD Powers, Consumer Reports, any quality surveys. Though I personally have not had any issues I feel FCA needs to step up in terms of quality control and dealer customer satisfaction. FCA is selling products that over lap price wise with premium luxury brands. It would be nice to have a taste of the quality and positive dealer experiences. lol. FCA and Jeep has us bent over a barrel until someone else makes a vehicle like the Wrangler.

I also totally understand and see your point. No one wants to have to deal with issues no matter how minor when they just spent their hard earned cash on a new vehicle. It's very frustrating. You have a warranty, your JL will more then likely be repaired and you will be enjoying it again soon. Good Luck on a speedy process at the dealer.

Last edited:

Sponsored

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Exactly. Also, people post far more often when something breaks than when it doesn't. But let me see if I can change that:

1) My seats work just fine.
2) My air vents work just fine.
3) My transmission is completely awesome.
4) My glove box works just fine.

13k miles in first year.
Bad news travels at the speed of light, yeah?

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Your right, all you 4-door owners don't have the the OP's seat problem and never will. You don't have to worry about folding forward seats. Us 2-door owners…real Wrangler…COUGH-COUGH…owners have the fold forward seats with the delicate plastic levers…
I've read that some JLU owners have broken the plastic levers for folding the second row, which is why I'm extra careful with mine. Apparently we're all in the same boat...

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that some people are just hard on stuff. Sounds to me like OP may just be one of them.
I always try to be easy on stuff. Zippers, hinges, doors, pockets, dogs.
D9 Cats.
In a long-ago previous life, I ran heavy equipment for a living, logging in Montana and Idaho.
I developed a reputation for being real easy on equipment, while still being productive. That was a valuable asset. Never had to look long or far for a job.
I treat plastic hinges, latches, and air vents like the fragile crap that they are. Prolly won’t break one.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I've read that some JLU owners have broken the plastic levers for folding the second row, which is why I'm extra careful with mine. Apparently we're all in the same boat...
All us 2-door owners anyway.
Sponsored