NEW! JL Front Camera offering - ZAutomotive 2/28/19

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
It was a bear to get that bottom snapped in. I think it will hold with just the top but if you can get the bottom in it is rock solid.
I was not happy with that camera placement with my bumper/winch, I improvised and put together an adjustable mount with the camera just behind the bumper bull bar hoop, can see 18 inches in front of tires contact with road and pretty far forward too. Finishing install today.
Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I was not happy with that camera placement with my bumper/winch, I improvised and put together an adjustable mount with the camera just behind the bumper bull bar hoop, can see 18 inches in front of tires contact with road and pretty far forward too. Finishing install today.
Awesome! Canā€™t wait to see the results! I have to say, I got to try out the cam on the road (interstate) for the first time today. Even though the cam is only 480i, itā€™s really great to see whatā€™s in front parking or driving. Absolutely an incredible mod. @joe@zauto got it right.

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
Awesome! Canā€™t wait to see the results! I have to say, I got to try out the cam on the road (interstate) for the first time today. Even though the cam is only 480i, itā€™s really great to see whatā€™s in front parking or driving. Absolutely an incredible mod. @joe@zauto got it right.
does you video have video noise in it on the screen? mine does, Joe said it is caused by uconnect radio's video converter.

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
Here is my zautomotive front cam install. I did not like the grill mount view with a large bull bar in the middle of the video, and you can't adjust the vertical axis with that grill install currently.

In the Jeep I can barely see the top of the 2nd step on that step stool with no cam, amazing how blind you are driving forward! With the front cam I can see 22 inches from the front leading edge of the tires on level ground (I am on a slope in pics but the Jeep is level with the even slope). the sticks in front of tires are lined up with the inside edge of the tires.

I installed the cam on bull bar using a left over speaker bracket part that allows vertical axis adjustment. I put too tiny screws in the edges of cam case through the bracket (not into cam itself), and I put epoxy on it before screwing it together.

My bull bar had mounting tongues on top for lights. this is the bumper: (https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...aign=Post+Purchase&utm_content=Review+Request). I put an aluminum bar across the two light bar tongues and attached camera bracket under that.

This will be good off road until we can put the gladiator camera on the JL, IF they figure out a way to improve cargo cam video to high def in our existing radios.

IMG_2549.jpg

IMG_2551.jpg

IMG_2552.jpg

IMG_2553.jpg

Last edited:

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
Was going to order, but when reading the instructions, it looks like this only works for AT. Any sense of how someone with a M/T would get through the firewall?

Sponsored

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
Was going to order, but when reading the instructions, it looks like this only works for AT. Any sense of how someone with a M/T would get through the firewall?
Drill a hole? seems like lots of open space around the clutch hole.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
does you video have video noise in it on the screen? mine does, Joe said it is caused by uconnect radio's video converter.
Just now seeing this, sorry. I havenā€™t noticed that yet but I havenā€™t used it a lot. It takes a couple seconds to start up and get focused. Sort of black and white and unstable but then is fine. Too bad the radio canā€™t accept a better resolution camera but this is better than nothing and the cable setup from Joe is really nice. There are a host of cameras on Amazon that also should work with the same wiring.

Pretty cool feature being able to use it while driving. I tested it on the interstate and it worked perfectly.

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Just now seeing this, sorry. I havenā€™t noticed that yet but I havenā€™t used it a lot. It takes a couple seconds to start up and get focused. Sort of black and white and unstable but then is fine. Too bad the radio canā€™t accept a better resolution camera but this is better than nothing and the cable setup from Joe is really nice. There are a host of cameras on Amazon that also should work with the same wiring.

Pretty cool feature being able to use it while driving. I tested it on the interstate and it worked perfectly.

Not much noise on mine either

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just took a drive and tested it out and I can see a faint bit of noise. Itā€™s not bad but noticeable. I took a short video that may show it. Will try to get it posted.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
just a blurry pic....
I am going to calibrate my camera by adding stickers or labels on the screen bezel until I get used to it so I know how what I am seeing relates to the front tires and front of the bumper.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I just uploaded a better instruction manual today, it especially shows the pinning of the radio connector.
As for the grey plugs, theyā€™re to grab power from the back of the cigarette lighter outlet. You unplug the connector thatā€™s in the outlet now, and plug the z auto EZ harness in between.

Heat shrink tubing is to be added after you plug the wires together. Sure we could have pre-assembled and done the shrink part already but then youā€™d never be able to get the cable through the clutch plate hole, as it needs to be sent in the opposite direction.
Hey @joe@zauto, I sent you a PM

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜73 CJ5, ā€˜19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

You might try between the windshield and role bar. The pic below shows how I ran my ham antenna cable. There should be enough flexibility in the seal to pass the rca connector(s).
540CF04F-A884-48ED-9F92-7A50633AB43D.jpeg

F1REFLY

First Name
D.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JL, Patriot
is there any way to adjust the camera? Mine seems to be mounted correctly, but it's crooked and upside down.

IMG_20190511_154852.jpg

IMG_20190511_154916.jpg

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Yes, the circular part rotates in the mount to correct for that
Sponsored