OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
IMPORTANT / CAUTION:

When connecting the ZAutomotive video cable .....the red cover thing you are going to be working with on the 8.4 radio itself, doesn’t need to be totally removed.

You just need to pop the red cover thing out about 1/4 inch till it stops. Don't try to remove the red cover thing or you will break it.

Yes, Joe will be adding this info to the install instructions.
Sponsored

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Seems like you lose almost 1/3 of the picture with the bumper/grill
I think it’s more like 1/4 of the view you lose and for trail use, the foreground may provide useful reference points for predicting tire path.

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
IMPORTANT / CAUTION:

When connecting the ZAutomotive video cable .....the red cover thing you are going to be working with on the 8.4 radio itself, doesn’t need to be totally removed.

You just need to pop the red cover thing out about 1/4 inch till it stops. Don't try to remove the red cover thing or you will break it.

Yes, Joe will be adding this info to the install instructions.
Wish you posted this sooner, I just did it yesterday and broke one side, still works though

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it’s more like 1/4 of the view you lose and for trail use, the foreground may provide useful reference points for predicting tire path.
Not sure if it is how I positioned it but I have full view

joe@zauto

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon unlimited
Perhaps I can clear up som Gladiator front camera speculation. And the rear camera.

The rear camera runs a proprietary LVDS format, the only cameras that will work on this system re OEM cameras. Making a video switch is possible sure but not off-the-shelf commercially available.

The gladiator camera uses the front camera and back cameras both connectors to the surround view module that the JL does not use (same one used in a 19 Ram or minivan), to do the video switching as it uses the backup camera video input as the only radio hi-def feed. Using Gladiator components to add the trail cam to the JL will involve the camera, Surroundview module, a bunch of wiring, and programming of the BCM, SV module and perhaps an radio firmware update. That coupled with the Gladiator using a different grille design so there’s the issue of how to mount it.

So I’m not saying it can’t be done, but it won’t be trivial nor cheap.

Also saw someone mention using their Flascal to enable Cargo cam. Yes that works too but they don’t have the function that the tazer does to allow it to work in motion. Without the tazer it’ll turn off when you drive.

Also, the grille. I haven’t added it yet but I’ll include the part number for the grille panel itself, as a mopar part. It’s like 10 bucks so if you wanted to remove the camera or happen the mess up the cut, it’s not such a big deal!

Working on updating the install manual now for u locking the red plate but not removing it, including some better pictures.

Sponsored

joe@zauto

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Intentionally angled like that as reference for tire path, parking, etc.

Reactions: TRZ

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4F62D866-EE9B-4617-BAE4-7B560D0BA3B5.jpeg
Bottom center is my license plate bracket, I wasn’t able to change the angle, just the rotation

joe@zauto

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4F62D866-EE9B-4617-BAE4-7B560D0BA3B5.jpeg
Bottom center is my license plate bracket, I wasn’t able to change the angle, just the rotation
To clarify, this is NOT the Z Automotive trail cam kit, correct?

Or if it is, as I looks like it may be from your posts above, can you post a photo of the camera installed?

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8651B933-007E-44F0-B190-114A63326330.jpeg
061565F3-6DDA-48E0-8597-5CF29F9B992F.jpeg
To clarify, this is NOT the Z Automotive trail cam kit, correct?

Or if it is, as I looks like it may be from your posts above, can you post a photo of the camera installed?
It is the z automotive, I cut out the exact area as instructions and it clips in fine, I’m not sure if you can adjust angle (didn’t seem like it)

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
Perhaps I can clear up som Gladiator front camera speculation. And the rear camera.

The rear camera runs a proprietary LVDS format, the only cameras that will work on this system re OEM cameras. Making a video switch is possible sure but not off-the-shelf commercially available.

The gladiator camera uses the front camera and back cameras both connectors to the surround view module that the JL does not use (same one used in a 19 Ram or minivan), to do the video switching as it uses the backup camera video input as the only radio hi-def feed. Using Gladiator components to add the trail cam to the JL will involve the camera, Surroundview module, a bunch of wiring, and programming of the BCM, SV module and perhaps an radio firmware update. That coupled with the Gladiator using a different grille design so there’s the issue of how to mount it.

So I’m not saying it can’t be done, but it won’t be trivial nor cheap.

Also saw someone mention using their Flascal to enable Cargo cam. Yes that works too but they don’t have the function that the tazer does to allow it to work in motion. Without the tazer it’ll turn off when you drive.

Also, the grille. I haven’t added it yet but I’ll include the part number for the grille panel itself, as a mopar part. It’s like 10 bucks so if you wanted to remove the camera or happen the mess up the cut, it’s not such a big deal!

Working on updating the install manual now for u locking the red plate but not removing it, including some better pictures.
Please also tell us what are the gray 3 pin connectors that are on the zautomotive front cam wire harness, do they connect to the radio, to each other, or what? also, why are the shrink tubes not shrunk? I don't see anything in the front cam instructions about these connectors. I will stop work until I get this clarified as I don't want to remove the radio twice. Thanks.

Sponsored

joe@zauto

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just uploaded a better instruction manual today, it especially shows the pinning of the radio connector.
As for the grey plugs, they’re to grab power from the back of the cigarette lighter outlet. You unplug the connector that’s in the outlet now, and plug the z auto EZ harness in between.

Heat shrink tubing is to be added after you plug the wires together. Sure we could have pre-assembled and done the shrink part already but then you’d never be able to get the cable through the clutch plate hole, as it needs to be sent in the opposite direction.

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
I just uploaded a better instruction manual today, it especially shows the pinning of the radio connector.
As for the grey plugs, they’re to grab power from the back of the cigarette lighter outlet. You unplug the connector that’s in the outlet now, and plug the z auto EZ harness in between.

Heat shrink tubing is to be added after you plug the wires together. Sure we could have pre-assembled and done the shrink part already but then you’d never be able to get the cable through the clutch plate hole, as it needs to be sent in the opposite direction.
thanks,
there wasn't any extra shrink wrap for wrapping the camera connection, there were 3 pieces ON the wiring already, not shrunk, for the cig lighter connection wiring.

by the way, the new instructions seem to have an error on the handrawn pic showing where the black and the yellow wires go, they are going to pins 23 and 24 apparently in that diagram. the photo of actual wires in place shows them in the correct position, 24 and 25.

I had to drill a hole in the clutch hole as both tabs broke off the hole cover. Nothing going easy.... Still trying to get the SWG plugs unplugged, that problem is on another thread. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...hritic-hands-like-me.22522/page-2#post-603443. After 3-4 hrs I finally got the SWG plugs pulled out by prying down mm by mm with small screw driver while holding lock tab in. Wow, way to tight.

Last edited:

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado

Hi Joe. I just installed the camera. I had to get some help from you (or someone on your team) for aligning the camera and you guys were great. The install was not too difficult. The part about connecting to the cigarette lighter wasn’t clear but once I figured out I could easily pull out the lower bezel, it was easy.

The most difficult part for me was getting the camera snapped in on the bottom. It is a very tight fit. I finally used a curved hook to pull the grate forward while pushing the camera in. It’s nice and snug now.

I was missing a shrink wrap piece but no big deal (only 1 in my kit).

You have a great product and thanks for your support.

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Joe. I just installed the camera. I had to get some help from you (or someone on your team) for aligning the camera and you guys were great. The install was not too difficult. The part about connecting to the cigarette lighter wasn’t clear but once I figured out I could easily pull out the lower bezel, it was easy.

The most difficult part for me was getting the camera snapped in on the bottom. It is a very tight fit. I finally used a curved hook to pull the grate forward while pushing the camera in. It’s nice and snug now.

I was missing a shrink wrap piece but no big deal (only 1 in my kit).

You have a great product and thanks for your support.
I too only had one shrink wrap, I’m now thinking that I don’t have the bottom snapped in and that is why my view is a little higher.

Either way, it is a great setup and great deal for this plug and play solution.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I too only had one shrink wrap, I’m now thinking that I don’t have the bottom snapped in and that is why my view is a little higher.

Either way, it is a great setup and great deal for this plug and play solution.
It was a bear to get that bottom snapped in. I think it will hold with just the top but if you can get the bottom in it is rock solid.
Sponsored